iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for recommendations on a pex crimping tool.

Started by adamant, January 02, 2016, 05:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamant

I am looking for a quality cinching tool. Can someone please tell me what one to buy?
central boiler 6048
son's off to collage and he was replaced with a timber wolf tw 5

Holmes

I use Viega. Their  rings look like a thimble I have never had any problems with them.
Think like a farmer.

mjeselskis

Quote from: adamant on January 02, 2016, 05:25:00 PM
I am looking for a quality cinching tool. Can someone please tell me what one to buy?

I use a Zurn crimper that I got from one of the big box stores. It came with 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, & 3/4 dies as well as the crimp ring removal tool in a hard case. I think I paid around $100 for it around 5 years ago and it works great.
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

Dave Shepard

The Viega set comes in a nice plastic box with all the sizes and room for the pex chewers (stripping tools  :D ). They work on a much smaller radius, so are easy to get in tight places. The Zurn ones from Lowes that crimp the copper rings need more room. I like that the copper rings are cheaper and it's easier to reuse fittings. Much of my OWB system uses recycled fittings. If I was going to buy into a system, I think it would be the Viega, but it's just a personal preference thing, either system works well.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

r.man

I didn't even know that they make a ring removal tool. I cut fittings out and then torch heat the old rings and pex until the ring can be popped off. Quick and easy but smelly and you have to swap out the whole fitting for the sake of one ring. I have only seen either single size or tools with two ring sizes built in solid. I like the idea of a set of dies in one set of crimpers.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

square1

A lot depends on your intended use.  I completely plumbed a one bath, one kitchen cabin with a ~$30 pocket sized crimper that utilized 10" vise grips in place of handles attached to the tool to apply force for crimping. Being able to get into very tight spaces at angles the crimpers with fixed handles would not have been able to access was a plus.  The amount of time it took for each connection would be prohibitive to using that particular tool on a large scale project, or on multiple projects.

jwilly3879

I use the Uponor system with the expandable rings and a Milwaukee 12v expander. Have plumbed several houses with no problems.

It is expensive for limited use.

Banjo picker

I have the zurn tool with the different dies.  They work well if you have enough room, but I don't use it much any more.  I bought a ratcheting tool by Apollo or something like that that uses the rings with the little nibs on them, you just put the tool on the little nib and mash the handles together until they release and you have a done deal...Don't remember ever having a failure with it.  The rings do cost a bit more that the plain rings the zurn uses, but the Apollo tool was about half the cost of the other.  By the way you do know rats and mice will eat a hole in the pex if they need to to get inside.   >:(  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

enigmaT120

Quote from: jwilly3879 on January 03, 2016, 08:21:20 AM

I use the Uponor system with the expandable rings and a Milwaukee 12v expander. Have plumbed several houses with no problems.

It is expensive for limited use.

That's the method I like.  I borrowed the tool from work.  That system is so slick.
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

sam-tip

I have a couple crimpers.  Most are fine until you get into small spaces.   Then I use the cheap bolt together (compact) crimper that will do all the sizes.  It is faster than you think.  I would say just as fast but you need a ratchet to get it crimped.  In the back of my boiler it was the only tool that would fit.

The compact crimper is easier if your pex is loose.  Sometimes it is hard to keep everything in place with the two handed bolt cutter design crimper. With the compact crimper you can keep one hand on the pex joint and other on the ratchet.
Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

Thank You Sponsors!