iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

crowing hen

Started by tree-farmer, January 02, 2016, 06:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tree-farmer

One of our 3yr old hens has started crowing! Not a very good crow and not all the time. Always heard a saying aroud here, "a whistling girl and a crowing hen, never come to a good end". Met a few whistling girls but this is first crowing hen.
Anybody else ever had a crowing hen?
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

coxy

ya its kind of funny watching them mine use to get all fluffed up and hardly any noise would come out our rooster had about all he could take of her and one day killed her so be careful if you have a rooster

WV Sawmiller

Tree Farmer,

I thought you were mad at your wife when I read the title.

Does the hen lay eggs? I thought most cases of doe deer growing antlers, turkey hens growing beards and such they were sterile. Wonder if true for a crowing hen. Sounds like you need to get a video of it and post. Might make some money in the advertising field.

Thx 4 posting.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

tree-farmer

Last summer when they were all laying, most days I would get 8 eggs from 8 hens, so it seems that she lays, or somebody is laying 2 a day. Only crows 2 or 3 times a week, or at least that is all we hear. Sounds awful, but is a crow none the less.
Beats anything I've seen before. I do not have a rooster, so maybe that  has some bearing on it. Just a hen with gender idenity issues.  :D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

John Mc

Our little bantam hen also crows from time to time. She'll go months without it, then crow a few times a day for a couple of weeks, then go back to being a "straight" hen again. We also refer to her as our hen with gender identity issues.

Our hens are free range. They have a coop they come into at night, and where they lay their eggs. This little gender confused bantam was the only one to figure out that something was wrong, and started laying her eggs elsewhere. She sleeps up in a tree, and only comes into the coop on really cold nights.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

kderby

I have a Bantam hen. I was hoping she would set eggs.  She is my only Bantam so I know which eggs are hers.  I had incubated eggs because she was not setting.  I incubated several of her eggs and they were all duds.  One day while I was in the pen, she hoped up on a rock and said Cock-a-doodle dooooooo.  Oh My!

She is still out there and the Banty eggs are a novelty.  For a broody hen or reproductive purposes I think she is a dead end.

The other roosters just ignore her....so far.

Thank You Sponsors!