iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw info

Started by Scooby Doo, January 01, 2016, 09:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooby Doo

My boyfriend has a 450 husky rancher and has been cutting fire wood for my grandma. He is looking for a high quality saw that he can use a chainsaw mill with. Can anyone give me some specs and product info that isn't going to cost a fortune? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stacy n Jd
Owner/Operator of a 1986 Wood-Mizer LT30 Manual

sawguy21

What are the characteristics of the wood he will be cutting? Few if any of us are familiar with your part of the world. Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered and Dolmar are the only manufacturers making anything powerful enough to meet your needs but be prepared to spend. I used to get orders for saws to go as carry on luggage for Africa and south east Asia, they were too expensive to import through normal channels and delivery could be iffy.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Lnewman

I use a Stihl 441 with an Alaskan occasionally
and it works pretty well

Stihl 170, 210MS, 290MS, 441MS and Hudson bandsaw

thecfarm

Check out her profile.  ;) Look to see where she is located. Hint,the pig roast.  ;D
I don't keep up on the models and sizes,but get a dealer you like. That means alot to me. They are really all just about the same. Meaning,Echo,Sthil,Husky,Johnsred.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

celliott

A high quality saw you can use on a chainsaw mill, will cost alot of money. You get what you pay for. Milling takes lots of power, which means big displacement.

For new offerings, Husqvarna 390xp, would be about the smallest I would want to use for alot of CSM work. Other new options are the 395xp, Stihl MS661, or the real big boys, the MS880 and the Husky 3120. Any of these saws will likely set you back $1000 USD on the low end, and up from there.

Of course you can try to get by with a smaller saw and save money, but chainsaw milling is hard on a saw, and you're likely to smoke the engine on even the bigger models if you aren't careful.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Jiles

Since I have worked on chainsaws for many years, it is my opinion that you are better off purchasing a saw that is a few years old. Too many potential problems with "modern" saws that EPA has caused.
With that being said, when buying new, modify the saw after warranty expires.
Also realize that all warranties are worded to protect the manufacturer not the consumer--too many ways they can decline repair.
I personally like Dolmar/Makita, Echo, Husqvarna and Stihl, in that order.
Stihl is my least favorite because of starting issues and difficulty of repair to some models.
Even a 10 years old girl can start a Dolmar/Makita--Google it.
This is strictly MY OPINION and some are sure to disagree.
Satisfy needs before desires

John Mc

Can you tell us a little about what kinds of wood he will be cutting, and how big it is?

Also, How frequently is he likely to be doing chains saw milling?

As you've figured out, the Husky 450 he has now is too small for milling. You want a good sized saw for that application. Celliot mentioned some great choices, but they are expensive. If he's just going to mill a log or two now and then, or if the largest log he is likely to mill is 10 inches (25 cm) diameter or less, he might get by with something smaller than those saws - but whatever he ends up with is still going to be a significant step up from what he has now.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

CR888

A used Dolmar 7900/7910 may be the ticket. Good for medium to large wood with enough power to mill. That would be the route I would go if the saw was not primarily used for milling. If the saw will only be used on the CSM.....well get the biggest saw you can afford.

starmac

What is available saw and parts/dealer wise in your neck of the woods. I would be looking for something that is at least somewhat available locally, even if it is not the very best for the job.
A saw big enough to be a decent milling saw is going to be a pro rated saw and not usually found on the cheap side, no matter the brand, it is also sometimes cheaper to go with the best and bigger than it is to go smaller to save a few bucks.
Whatever saw you choose, make sure they have enough oiling capabilities to handle milling (some don't), or plan to go with a remote oil system right off the bat.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Jeff

Stacy change your location or I'm goona tan yer hide! :D

Some people's kids anyhow!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

starmac

Are you saying we have done been hoodwinked. lol

Magicman

Check out the pin map location on Stacy's profile.   :D

But she is serious about looking for a chainsaw.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

starmac

I didn't even know we had a pin map, and rarely look at anyones profile.
I don't know much about computers, but just naturally figured what was on your profile was what would show up under your avatar. learned something today. lol

Scooby Doo

Thanks to all that gave me information! It is greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,
Stacy n Jd
Owner/Operator of a 1986 Wood-Mizer LT30 Manual

sawguy21

Quote from: Jeff on January 02, 2016, 08:41:22 PM
Stacy change your location or I'm goona tan yer hide! :D

Some people's kids anyhow!
ROTFLMAO. Botswana. SHEESH
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

cbla

Quote from: celliott on January 02, 2016, 08:33:36 AM
A high quality saw you can use on a chainsaw mill, will cost alot of money. You get what you pay for. Milling takes lots of power, which means big displacement.

For new offerings, Husqvarna 390xp, would be about the smallest I would want to use for alot of CSM work. Other new options are the 395xp, Stihl MS661, or the real big boys, the MS880 and the Husky 3120. Any of these saws will likely set you back $1000 USD on the low end, and up from there.

Of course you can try to get by with a smaller saw and save money, but chainsaw milling is hard on a saw, and you're likely to smoke the engine on even the bigger models if you aren't careful.

I second that. I have a 390xp that I use for CSM and I would not want anything smaller than that. Running the saw wide open is hard on them.

CTYank

Quote from: Jiles on January 02, 2016, 01:11:08 PM
Since I have worked on chainsaws for many years, it is my opinion that you are better off purchasing a saw that is a few years old. Too many potential problems with "modern" saws that EPA has caused.
With that being said, when buying new, modify the saw after warranty expires.
Also realize that all warranties are worded to protect the manufacturer not the consumer--too many ways they can decline repair.
I personally like Dolmar/Makita, Echo, Husqvarna and Stihl, in that order.
Stihl is my least favorite because of starting issues and difficulty of repair to some models.
Even a 10 years old girl can start a Dolmar/Makita--Google it.
This is strictly MY OPINION and some are sure to disagree.

What Jiles said. Some stihl models (e.g. 441) are unbelievably difficult to repair, because of crazy complexity.  "Comparable" Husqy (576 XP-AT) is WAY more reasonably designed, more powerful, and a much better value. It's good to have "open" access to parts too, something stihl embargoes.

Dealer dependancy only goes so far, until the training wheels are off.

Especially for CSM, it's a good thing to be able to spin your own chains, and an absolulte necessity to file them properly and often. Talking ripping chains, of course, vice crosscut.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Thank You Sponsors!