iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 261 DP muffler

Started by George Zarifis, January 01, 2016, 05:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Zarifis

I'm thinking of modifying the muffler of my ms261 in some way and I saw that stihl as well as a bunch as other companies make dual port aftermarket mufflers for various models. However I could not find one for the 261. Does anyone know where I can get one? I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me on the subject, as I'm very new to chainsaws. Also, does anyone know when the MS880 was first released to the market. I just couldn't find any information by googling it... ???
:new_year:
Every man's proble can be solved with a chansaw and high explosives. And a gun. And maybe a screwdriver. A cordless drill wouldn't hurt either.

I think a truck full of tools will do...

nitehawk55

You have to do a muffler mod on the MS 261 yourself and if you google it you should find lots of DIY info .
The 880 was basically the 088 with a few changes . Stihl made most model changes from the old numbering system to the MS XXX in 2001 so an MS 880 will be 2001 or newer .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

George Zarifis

Thanks for the info. As for the muffler mod I think I'll just wait until the guarantee no longer applies. That's of course unless Stihl decides to make a DP muffler for my saw.
Every man's proble can be solved with a chansaw and high explosives. And a gun. And maybe a screwdriver. A cordless drill wouldn't hurt either.

CR888

I would open up the existing outlet a little and retain the baffle inside and spark arrestor mesh. I would not advise the 'louver' style opening on the other side as it directs exhaust at your arms and near your face when you turn the saw on its side. IMO very easily you can end up with a really loud saw if your not careful that does not make more power than a modest increase. But I am in the minority camp on this one, and don't like overly loud saws.

George Zarifis

Thanks a lot for the advice. I live in an urban area and I certainly don't want an overly loud saw. As for the spark arrestor mesh, I won't have to mess with it because my saw doesn't have one, as my country does not require it. :new_year:

HolmenTree

Quote from: George Zarifis on January 03, 2016, 03:48:56 AM
As for the spark arrestor mesh, I won't have to mess with it because my saw doesn't have one, as my country does not require it.
George your country does warn people of trees falling on them . :D
Here's a pic when I was in Greece years ago....hahaha
:new_year:

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

George Zarifis

(Sorry for replying so late)

Yep! That's exactly how Greece is! They say, Greece is the only country in the world where you have to look both ways when crossing an one-way road... As for the trees falling over, it is something very common. You can go to any forest in Greece and every 50 feet there is a fallen tree. That's where I get all my firewood from. It is sad, however that so many parks and forests are not being taken care of.
May I ask, what parts of Greece did you visit?
Side note: As of today, that sign probably doesn't have any paint left on it and it never will be painted again! If it was located in Crete, it would be covered with holes, as people there like to practice with their shotguns on street signs.

HolmenTree

George thanks for the reply. We spent our first night in Athens then on to Crete for a week (hiked the gorge for a day) then we spent a week on Santorini.  From there we spent a month in Egypt.  That was 2002.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!