iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wrecked another one...UPDATE

Started by barbender, January 01, 2016, 01:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I was cutting some firewood last night with my Jred 2171, it started rattling really bad all of the sudden so I shut it down quick. Looked into it today, I'm not sure of the cause but the ground electrode broke off of the spark plug and tore up the piston and head pretty bad, but then it ended up in the bottom end >:(  I can't see any immediate damage to anything in the bearings or to the crank, but I feel a little "catch" at TDC. Hopefully the bottom isn't shot. Anyways, if I can get by just replacing the P/C, have any of you used the "Big Bore" kits like Bailey's and others sell? I figure if life gave me lemons, I'd make lemonade by getting a little more grunt with the big bore.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

This is the guy that caused my troubles

Here's what it did-

The piston is shot (obviously  ::), I might have just cleaned it up but the electrode crowned the piston bad enough that it crushed the land of the top ring. I could probably just get a piston and rings, and clean up the head. But I would really like to hear some opinions on the big bore kits. It would be a no brainer to throw one in at this point, but I have heard rumors of fitment and quality issues (having to modify the cases to make the new cylinder fit). I don't want to have to monkey around with it, bottom line I just need to get my saw back up and running. Maybe I should just put in a piston and go buy a 2188 like I want ;)

Gearbox

Barbender Carlson saw shop from somewhere up by Lake of the woods has big bore kits that he has made . He comes to G. R. every week or so . You sure had it adjusted right [ no white ] .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

George Zarifis

That spark plug looks really bad! May I ask what oil you were burning? I use Stihl HP Ultra and the P/C and plug seem to be very clean...

:new_year:
Every man's proble can be solved with a chansaw and high explosives. And a gun. And maybe a screwdriver. A cordless drill wouldn't hurt either.

I think a truck full of tools will do...

weimedog

Was that an Oregon brand plug? I've stuck with NGK's for years with good luck. Heard of a guy with Oregon brand the broke like that. Of course they are relabeled something else. Be curious if there is a trend we can identify.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

nitehawk55

I'll bet that plug is made in China , look for it in the base . Several good makes of plug brands have foolishly sent production over there such as Bosch , NGK I think is coming out of South America now ?

It's a *DanG shame that happening and these plug makers should be held accountable for it .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

barbender

It was an NGK plug, I'll have to look for country of origin. The thing is, it wasn't a new plug. I honestly don't know how long it has been in the saw, I don't change them very often because I never foul plugs.  Another detail- the plug was loose, I don't know if it got hammered loose or if it loosened up first and caused the problem. The electrode didn't look well attached, however.  The oil was Stihl HP Ultra, mixed rich (about 32:1) I was actually impressed with how clean the saw was inside, and how nice of an oil film there was on everything.  George, the plug color looks worse in the picture, the color was actually pretty good.

barbender

Gearbox, did Carlson actually make the big bore kits, or does he just build saws?

Gearbox

He has them made and sells lots on the internet for concrete saws . check with him as he is a Johnsrud dealer . He will know what you can do . I know he built a bit bore for someone I know .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

JohnG28

Check out Walt's (aka Weimedog) YouTube video on his Hutzl 372 for info on the big bore kits. They sound to be hit or miss, more or less. If the saw has run well for you as it was I'd say go with an OEM top end replacement. If you want the extra power look for the 75cc xpw top end for a little more power. Chainsawr may be able may be able to help you out there. I'd be thinking total tear down and rebuild would be beat move so as to have a good saw for another long time! Good luck!   :)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

nuke1

I work for a tree company here and we have installed 10 aftermrkt kits from ebay , with only one problem , i try to get meteor pistons and good rings and nikasil cylinders , The only major problem I had besides a bad Set of rings ( too large to compress around ret pin ) was an aftermarket cylinder for an 036 stihl , The exhaust flange didn't come out for enough to meet the muffler and I had to make a spacer , all in all everything broken well and runs good and saved our guys a lot of money but I believe the key is research
neil

Al_Smith

" an aftermarket cylinder for an 036 stihl , The exhaust flange didn't come out for enough to meet the muffler and I had to make a spacer "< typical problem using an 036 cylinder on an 034 crankcase .

barbender

I just wanted to update this topic. I ended up ordering a Big bore NWP P/C. It went together painlessly, I'm no expert but the casting looked decent and the ports were clean. Fit on my crankcase just fine, everything lined up good. Fired it up, I didn't have anything to bury the bar in so all I can say at this point is that it runs fine, like it never even happened ;) I think the NWP was less than half of OEM, so even if I don't gain any power I'm happy enough. If I would have had to pay over $300 for an OEM P/C I would've probably just bought a new saw and kept this one for parts.

WV Mountaineer

I put an NWP big bore on one of my 372's when I rebuilt it.  The power increase over the stock XP was very noticeable.  I went OEM bottom end and the 52 MM NWP kit on top.  Just bolted it back on.  I am very impressed with it.  So much so I haven't even muffler mod'ed it yet.  It flat out smokes my 372 XT in big wood.  This is the second saw I have witnessed running these kits and both are regular cutters that flat out run.  I highly recommend the NWP kit.  God Bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

Thank You Sponsors!