iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wooden chain

Started by tgalbraith, December 31, 2015, 08:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgalbraith

Hi everyone and happy New Year.
It's been awhile since I posted. In mid October, I lost my little bride of almost 60 years and my mind hasn't been on milling for a while now.  With all the extra time on my hands, I decided to carve a wooden logging chain; like my grandfather used to make. I started to carve it while out in my deer stand, but lost to much skin and so moved the project to the basement. I finished it this week and gave it my daughter as a Christmas present.

My grampa died when I was about 5 years old. but he gave me my first jack knife and I have been whittling ever since.
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

thecfarm

How long is that??? WOW!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tgalbraith

Quote from: thecfarm on December 31, 2015, 08:42:59 PM
It's just a hair short of 6 feet.  The stick I started with was 5 feet long, but you gain about half an inch for each link you carve.

Napoleon1

That is very cool.  I'll take the next one.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on December 31, 2015, 08:42:59 PM

A long time.  :D

Nice chain, I love it.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

TimGA

Very impressive,  about how long did it take to make.
                                         Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

tgalbraith

Quote from: TimGA on December 31, 2015, 09:05:54 PM
Very impressive,  about how long did it take to make.
                                         Tim
I started it the last week in November, but didn't carve every day. or more than an hour at a time.
I would estimate I have about 10 hours into it.

Magicman

I was so sorry to read about the loss of your Bride.  My heartfelt condolences are with you.

That will be a wonderful keepsake for your Daughter knowing that you spent those hours especially for her.  By the way, she has a very nice name.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Howdy

I too wish to add my condolences on the loss you have suffered.

I have received several pocket knifes over the years but the family finally realized that every time I got a new one, I took up whittling hoping to make a chain or a ball in a cage. With each attempt I was  soon to need stitches and giving another knife to a grandson.  I still have the Old timer my wife gave me for my 34th birthday (about 30 years ago) in perfect shape with just a little rust on the main blade.  Maybe it's time to try again as my daughter now works in the local hospital emergency room!

lowpolyjoe

that's really great.  thanks for sharing

tmarch

Wonderful gift that will be treasured forever.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

rasman57

That is a true gift, handmade from Dad's hands.   What a skill that is and you did good.... your bride would be proud of your gift to your daughter.   Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year. 

rooster 58

What a very cool carving! And what a wonderful present to pass down.
     I'm very sorry to hear about your bride. My heartfelt condolences to you and your family.  May God bless

samandothers

So sorry to hear you lost your wife of 60 years, very sad.

Chain is beautiful and a great keep sake for 'Lynn'!

slider

I am sorry for your loss as well.That chain is too fine.
al glenn

Percy

Sorry about your missus. 60 years of marrige is rare these days...Im at 40 years....still a beginner...heh

Very cool carving....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

sealark37

Your loss rings the bell for many of us here.  Keep you hands and your mind busy until it looks like you can stand some sawing.  My grandfather lost his first son at an age of 9 years to a horse kick.  He carved a lot of chains and walking sticks in the next 70 years, as he could not bear to have nothing to do.  Good Luck, and Regards, Clark

Down_hand_dave

What kind of wood did you use? That looks amazing and I would like to give it a try.

tgalbraith

Quote from: Down_hand_dave on January 01, 2016, 09:03:22 PM
What kind of wood did you use? That looks amazing and I would like to give it a try.
THe piece I used came from an edging in my slab pile.  It was white pine.
That edging was the only piece I found that had no knots or crooked grain.

jrose1970

I think you inherited something special from your grandfather.
Sorry to hear about your loss. Keep whittling!
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

customsawyer

Sorry for your loss. Great chain. I am coming up for adoption if you want to make me one next.  :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

tgalbraith

Here is a  little up-date,  I have two daughter in laws that felt a little neglected, so I carved
these up for them.

tnaz

Thanks for sharing.  I too am very sorry for your loss; your special gift is Blessing your family and you have memories.

Prayers for you and your Family,

Terry

venice

That's nice. Probably reflecting your own relationship of 60 years. Sorry to hear about your loss.

All the best to you and your family. venice

Magicman

Those "name chains" are very innovative.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red

I was asked about carving wooden chain's today , yes I heard about them here at Forestry Forum . I am surprised they are white pine ?
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

tgalbraith

tree-farmer

Nice chains, in my teens I carved a few after being taught by my dad. Got me thinking about starting one to see Iif I still have the patience. Thanks for sharing.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

brianb88

That is really impressive.
Measure twice, cut once

Thank You Sponsors!