iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic question

Started by Kbeitz, December 31, 2015, 11:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

I'm a builder of many things. I love the junkyard. Every time I go I look for
building materials. Lots of times I find thing that I have no idea of what they
are. Most of the time I can google what I find to see what it might be.
But this time I'm stumped. I got one control valve self centered and one
unknown control valve. It has two detents and not self centering.
They was conected up that both inputs was hooked together.
I'm not sure how eather one could work that way. You could tell that
it has been this way for quite some time. The first picture is the unit all
hooked together. The rest of the pictures is what I have questions about.
First question is what is it ?
Secong question is what can or does it do ?

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Could this be a adjustable Limit Control Valve ?

I googled this...

A restriction check valve V 2 is fitted in one leg of the cylinder. With the cylinder retracted, limit-operated valve V 3 is open allowing free flow of fluid from the cylinder as it extends. When the striker plate on the cylinder ram hits the limit, valve V 3 closes and flow out of the cylinder is now restricted by the needle valve setting of valve V 2. In the reverse direction, the check valve on valve V 2 opens giving full speed of retraction.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

Looks like an old hydraulic control valve off of an old front end loader!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kbeitz

This lable is on the back of the unit...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Doing google search with the lable words I'm coming up with Windrowers D-Series draper header.
But I would still like to know what I could do with this control valve.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Grandpa

That's a puzzler for sure. ???
Just a couple of thoughts, the only valve I have ever seen with two detents and did not self center was a diverter valve.
Also, I believe the only time you can put a tee in the pressure line is if you have a closed center system.
Otherwise, I have no idea what you have, if you get it figured out please let us know.
Hope I didn't just muddy the water.

Kbeitz

The funny thimg was the input line had no tee.
One of the two valves was geting its flow backwards.
I never hooked a valve up backwards to see what it would do.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Al_Smith

Detents on both ends could be a directional  valve for a hydramotor .

Grandpa

kbeitz, I'm confused, in your first post you say the inputs were hooked together, but later you say there is no tee, what did I miss? Also, you say one of the valves was getting its flow backwards. It seems to me one of these statements has to be wrong, or else I'm just confused. I've been confused before so that is certainly a possibility.
Also they make a power beyond valve with a built in diverter, is that a possibility?

whitepine2

Could be a dump valve to move piston back faster, the dubble detente could be set so the piston moves it to end of travel and then goes to center same action when moved to other side detente so one would not need to have hands on handle I have one on splitter saves time but one needs to pay attention not for kids to run.

Grandpa

Kbeitz, never mind my last post, it was all there in black and white and I missed it somehow.
I still don't know what you have.
I'll put on my dunce hat and sit in the corner now.

Kbeitz

Yea your not the only one confused. One hydrolic line with no tee input to input.
So my guess is that one of the two is getting fead backwards from the other.
I'm not sure how that would work. But with simple valves I guess the flow
would not matter.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I'm just wondering if this might be an adjustable stop ?

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

There is also another place for a shaft or a hose to connect at this point.
I was wondering if a moveing shaft went into the hole. It does have threads
but it does not look like a hydrolic hook up. Way up inside the hole there looks
to be a push pin.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

whitepine2

Looks like a stop of some kind?? Try to follow the fluid much like if it was wiring this sometimes help me out as to what's what and how things work. It looks like low pressure as it shows a street ell this is a no no on today's systems of Hi pressure unless a Hi pressure ell which this one dozes not look like. 

Grandpa

Two more thoughts.

Maybe the sticker is a clue. The remote hydraulics valve on my tractor has two detents, one for cylinder in and one for cylinder out. When the cylinder bottoms out the valve snaps back to the middle, which is a hold position. I don't know anything about headers though and wonder if one detent would be a float.

The other thought is to hook compressed air to the in port and see what it does.

If one position is a float, I would think that you should be able to put air in one cylinder port and it should come out the other.

The only problem I see is if it supposed to return to center when the cylinder bottoms, compressed air probably wont have enough pressure to do that.

JB Griffin

The only thing I can think of is its a valve off a combine to raise and lower the header, and appears to be single acting.
We have 2 way detent vavle on our wood splitter, and my tractor has a pressure sensing detent valve on the remote, pull the handle and it stays till the cylinder bottoms out and then kick back to neutral.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Kbeitz

Searching ebay for combine control valve  I came up with this picture.
It looks real close to what I have. Looks like I'm missing a part.
I have a hole on the bottom of my unit where the arrow is pointing on
the picture of the one from ebay.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

crash

I would guess that it's the control valve for a swather header. The extra "port thing" on the bottom and the stop could be used to help control cutting height? Or possibly control reel or cutter bar speed.

justallan1

Whatever you gave for it, I'd say we're sure getting your money out of it just for entertainment purposes. :D
From what I see in the very first pic it looks to have two control handles and with plumbing it the way I'm looking at it the Tee would be feeding something, plus feeding the other control. If that is correct then I'm guessing it would be hooked to something that has to be running or moving in order for the second to be engaged. Possibly a makeshift safety of sorts so you can't run one thing without the other being used first.
Does that make a bit of sense to anyone else or am I just way out in left field?

Kbeitz

I will and can use one of the control valves.
The other is just along for the ride.
If I can make heads or tails of the second one I will use it to.
If not I learned something. I'm very lucky to get my stuff very cheap from the yard.
At least I know more now than I did.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Gadrock

I would think that there exist some missing parts. First of operation is positive flow. It is split to operate the system that you see...but there the positive flow quite possibly also operated a hydraulic motor that ran the draper table. The draper table always ran in one direction but excess flow was available to operate the cylinder to a retract position, by way of the needle valves and adjusters discussed.

david g

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Thank You Sponsors!