iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Farmall cub

Started by timberlinetree, December 31, 2015, 06:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

We just picked up this farmall cub 8)! We plan on using it to plow out the sugar house and cultivating pumpkins for the poor when we get that project going. 

I don't know what year or much about them but hopefully we will be picking up a plow this Fri. Then we will need some snow!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Chuck White

Looks to be in good shape!

I think one of the first things I'd do is bundle those wires hanging out on the right side, especially if you are going to take it into the woods!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

OntarioAl

You will need a set of tire chains, those turf tires loose traction on snow and ice real quick
Al
Al Raman

yukon cornelius

I love those old tractors. We have a farmall A and a super A. Just one small step bigger. Did you get any attachments with it?
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Really nice. Looks like a belly mower was used on this one.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tburch

Congratulations!

I just got one recently myself!  It's still sitting under a tarp until I can get it running.  Got mine for free, with all the attachments except the belly mower.  Not even sure what they all do yet.   

Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

timberlinetree

Thanks! I hope to be buying a snow plow today. Then tires and chains. It kinda look like a tooth pic tractor but I like the bug eyes( head lights). Marcia wants to name it. I can't wait to do some fix n altho it dosent need much and thank you I will fix those wires. Wish it came with more stuff but me and Marcia look forward to looking for more attachments ( I m a Craig list junky)!free tractor I'm jealous :D

Gearbox

Remember you only have 12 HP that one is one of the newer ones it may have 13 HP . They have a weak second gear , so baby it . We have had an older one for the garden for 40 years  and 2 overhauls . Second gear is getting noisy . The older cub cadets [8 -10 HP ] had the same trans.
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

timberlinetree

Yikes I though it had more HP like 30. The lawn mower I had had 12 HP? I think cars have like a 100hp. Well I hope she will push the snow. We picked up the plow yesterday. Its not from Florida ( its well used) and need to be tightened up a little with new bolts but got it for $100.00. I also need to do a little ringing to make it fit. Next on the list is ag tires. Then chains or weights next?

square1

The early N series Fords didn't have a great deal more HP than your Cub and they did (still do) everything you say you want to do.  They just do it slower than a 30 HP tractor.  It's more gearing & weight than horsepower with old iron.  That's a nice little ride.

Al_Smith

Those little tractors were basically made to replace one horse  ,a small one .Unlike a horse they don't require feed ,shelter and can work 7 and 24 without rest .

A Cub will run a 4 foot belly motor in normal grass .If the grass is high they struggle .

Neat little tractors just don't expect them to drag a thousand board feet log out of the woods .

mad murdock

we had a Super A growing up, plowed a lot of snow with it.  In the cold N Wisc winters, was hard to keep a battery in it, most of the time I started it with the hand crank. Great running engines.  I think the super A was rated around 28HP, but a lot of torque on that crankshaft!  We also logged with an H model. Love them Farmalls!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ox

We must remember that the 12 hp rating on an old tractor engine is nowhere near the same as the 12 hp rating on a small engine like a Briggs or Honda.  The old engines are all torque.  That 12 hp will pull trees.  They run slow and with a long stroke.  Kinda like a diesel.  It's very hard to beat the longevity and strength of old equipment.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

yukon cornelius

We pullef almost all the logs for our house with our super a. This is steep country that my 4 wheel drive 78 ford wouldn't climb. We have the tractor weighted and it made a huge difference in it. I do wish 1st gear was a bit slower though.

Chuck White

FYI,  timberlinetree;  You don't need Ag Tires in order to use chains, you can use them on the Turf Tires you have now!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

starmac

Horsepower is pretty much an irrelevent number, Torque is what does the job at hand and those little cubs can do quite a bit for a lite rig.
I would rather have one of them over most any modern garden tractor, it is time consuming changing implements, but once done you are looking right at what you are doing, unlike rear mounted equipment.
Finding implements may be a challenge these days though.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

gspren

Quote from: Chuck White on January 02, 2016, 12:26:44 PM
FYI,  timberlinetree;  You don't need Ag Tires in order to use chains, you can use them on the Turf Tires you have now!
Actually chains work best with turf or bald ag tires, on new ag tires the chains drop between the lugs and don't do much, unless you buy the more expensive ring chains.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Chuck White

Quote from: gspren on January 02, 2016, 12:57:50 PM
Quote from: Chuck White on January 02, 2016, 12:26:44 PM
Actually chains work best with turf or bald ag tires, on new ag tires the chains drop between the lugs and don't do much, unless you buy the more expensive ring chains.

Very true! 

Al_Smith

That little tractor takes me back over 50 years .I inherited my fathers AC model B ,1938 .Crank start ,about 14 draw bar HP .

The winters of the 60's in northern Ohio were brutal .Lots of snow 15-20 below days on end ,often weeks .We drained the 30 WT oil from the little tractor and kept in the basement near the furnace in that big old farmhouse .

With warm oil in the crankcase it started rather easily ,if not warm oil you couldn't hardly crank it over .Never ran anti freeze instead a curtain in front of the radiator ,never froze it up .

timberlinetree

Thanks and learning a lot here. To be honest I thought that one HP ment the power of one real horse. While Working the fields of Kansas with this 200hp tractor

I would Invision 200 real horses pulling the plow(OK to much tractor time) so thanks for setting me straight. 12hp to one real horse sounds more logical. The new 35hp diesel tractor engine seemed smaller  than the old cub 12hp gas engine. Guess that the way things are now. Its good to know that chains on truff tires work well I was still thinking that ag tires will help out with cultivating and I was going to pull a small tank trailer up a Small grade for 500' or so durning late winter with maple sap. Will truff tires cut it? If I do get ag tires is it more important to get weight first or chains. I hope to have both. One neat thing about this tractor is where it came from: Ware Ma. :D

timberlinetree

Thanks for sharing that story sir. I love hearing about the old days. I heard of a guy doing that with a model a. Now I can say that I knew of a guy that was from northern Ohio that had an ac tractor that would do that also. Thanks again for sharing!

yukon cornelius

In my opinion weights might serve you better. For the tank trailer weights for sure. They are light tractors and spin out easily up a grade. Going downhill is the real danger. Our 4x8 trailer pushed me down the road one day hauling nothing more than 9 wire cattle panels. A log pushed me down the driveway another time. With the wheel weights  I have never had another problem.

square1

Agree with weight, doesn't matter how much traction is there if it won't get pushed to the ground. You could use short sections of chain that go across the tread, around the tire, and through the openings in the rim in three or four places rather than the ladder type chains if you get in a bind. Make sure they can't wipe out you tire valve stems though and they will scratch up the paint on the rims.

Watch Craiglist, sometimes chains get listed real cheap. Its fairly easy to re-size them if they aren't your size, especially to make them smaller which will likely be your case.

Al_Smith

Never get confused about horse power when comparing a horse to a tractor .

Twenty years ago or longer the antique tractor pullers followed a pony pull ,1500 lbs. as a team little horses .As a demonstration we started out with that little B model AC I mentioned and worked up in weight and HP .We got all the way to a John Deere B,1936 and slightly over 3000 pounds to move the sled the little ponies  moved .If it had been a team of big Clydesdales it's hard to say how much tractor it would have taken .

gspren

If your turf tires aren't dry rotting I'd hold off on the AG tires and just try chains, even year round if you don't need to drive on pavement much. If you drive across lawn areas new AG tires will tear things up every time you turn.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!