iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood & Powerlines??

Started by ReggieT, December 31, 2015, 12:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Hey Guys,

Went to look at a nice 50 ft blow down of Red Oak yesterday.
Laid pretty horizontal root ball exposed...yet has several long limbs still draped over a power line...there are several cable and phone lines down besides the tree as well.
Tree fell about 5 days ago...about 40% rot in the roots and trunk area...yet a ton of good wood.

The guy who called me out used to do some maintenance there and says the power has been off for "years" ::)  and is abandoned.
I did some reading up on powerlines ability to transfer via the sap in a tree & how they can make tree limbs VERY LIVE! :o 
What is you guys experience on working around tree's entangled in power lines & how would you handle this matter?

Thanks,
Reg
...btw...gotta real creepy feeling about this...I believe I'm gonna pass...but still need feedback.

beenthere

If the power is off, then there is no danger.

If the lines are on the ground, then likely the power is off because the fuse link opened. If it didn't, then there will be lots of sparks flying until it does open. IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ReggieT

Thanks...just don't want to make a  smiley_hanged terminal decision over some wood...

SLawyer Dave

Call the power company and have them check to make sure it is off.  No cost and a lot safer way to go.

Reddog

Call the power company and have them cleared or the lines removed before you start work.

Energized trees and lines don't always spark.

ReggieT

Quote from: Reddog on December 31, 2015, 06:55:54 AM
Call the power company and have them cleared or the lines removed before you start work.

:'( electricuted-smiley

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Reddog on December 31, 2015, 06:55:54 AM

x2
but sometimes they do christmas eve one of the bradford pear tres in my yard shorted out the power line and caught fire :o so i was out of power for about 3 hours ::) worst part was the turkey had been in the oven for about an hour when it happened  :-\ but it all worked out we just ate dinner at 7 instead of 5 ;D while the power was off i went ahead and topped tree about 4" from the ground so i dont think it will do that again ;D  :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

NWP

Treat every line as live. Even phone/cable lines can conduct electricity if a live line is touching them. Just because it isn't arcing means nothing. Call the power company. They will be more than happy to check it out and won't charge anything.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Corley5

Call the power company.  I wouldn't take anyone's word other than theirs about what's going on with the line.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

OntarioAl

Call the Power Company not only could the tree be hot the surrounding ground (step potential) could also be charged.
Al
Al Raman

thecfarm

Not only the "live" part concerns me,but what happens if you cause "damage" to the lines? Yes,the damage is all ready done,but they might say you did more damage.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GAB

Part of what sandsawmill14 wrote was: "while the power was off i went ahead and topped tree about 4" from the ground so i dont think it will do that again"
I sure do hope you did not need a ladder.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

sandsawmill14

nope but had to bend more than i like  ;D :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

gunny100

Quote from: ReggieT on December 31, 2015, 12:01:12 AM
Hey Guys,

Went to look at a nice 50 ft blow down of Red Oak yesterday.
Laid pretty horizontal root ball exposed...yet has several long limbs still draped over a power line...there are several cable and phone lines down besides the tree as well.
Tree fell about 5 days ago...about 40% rot in the roots and trunk area...yet a ton of good wood.

The guy who called me out used to do some maintenance there and says the power has been off for "years" ::)  and is abandoned.
I did some reading up on powerlines ability to transfer via the sap in a tree & how they can make tree limbs VERY LIVE! :o 
What is you guys experience on working around tree's entangled in power lines & how would you handle this matter?

Thanks,
Reg
...btw...gotta real creepy feeling about this...I believe I'm gonna pass...but still need feedback.

cut up the tree for firewood

ReggieT

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Corley5 on December 31, 2015, 10:24:29 AM
Call the power company.  I wouldn't take anyone's word other than theirs about what's going on with the line.

My late step-dad worked mostly doing repairs on heavy equipment and any other job that needed to be done.  Working on a jobsite, the boss said to take down a power line, it was de-energized.  Wrong, blew him off the ladder and messed up his nerves - could never walk well again.  Lost the lawsuit as well.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

timberlinetree

Unless you are Ehap certified I would call the power company. It should be easy.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!