iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Considering a Thomas or EZ boardwalk Sawmill

Started by Jimpa, December 30, 2015, 09:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpa

I have been reading the forum for the last few year and have decided to jump in. Thinking about purchasing a sawmill in the near future. The Thomas is local for me, and the EZ Boardwalk seems to provide a tremendous value . I need a 30" mill and would consider 36". Manual mill is fine so my top price range is $10,000. and I am happy to keep it below that number if the mill meets my needs. The bulk of my milling will be pine, oak and hemlock taken of my own property, for my own use. (Barn,small bridges, etc.) Any suggestion or concerns about the brands I've mentioned would be appreciated. Also any other brand which compare in value would be considered. This forum has been a tremendous help to me ,so I would like to thank you all for providing such a valuable resource.https://forestryforum.com/board/Smileys/default/new_year.gif

Ox

Whew.  That's a toughy.  EZ Boardwalk is a sponsor here and I've heard excellent things about their mills.  But putting myself in your shoes, I would be torn because of another brand mill manufacturer that was local to me, for repair and parts purposes.
I think I would probably lean toward the EZ Boardwalk because many people have them all over this country and parts and customer service is reputed to be among the best of the best.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

chickenchaser

A BIG warm welcome to the FF, Jimpa.

Lots of things to consider, as you already know.

First thing that struck me was "local". I'm unfamiliar with the Thomas brand
but that has to be one or two points there.

Manual mill x 36" capacity...how are you on support equipment, mechanical
engineering and fabrication, available help a.k.a. free labor  ;) ...?

If you haven't considered it, see if it might be possible to loan yourself out to a sawyer or two and get a feel for things - especially the ones operating a mill you are leaning towards. That proved invaluable for me.

Best of luck and remember - making sawdust is addictive.

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

Ox

Oh, geez!  I didn't realize that was your first post, Jimpa!  My apologies - and welcome to the Forestry Forum!  I'd bet folding money that you won't find a better place to be on the internet.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Bruno of NH

I have a thomas 8013 with no flex track
I like it a lot
The large ez is a great mill also
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

cntryby

Grey haired riders didn't get that way from pure luck.

rasman57

Quote from: cntryby on December 30, 2015, 10:24:37 AM
I have an ez 40 and I would not do it again.

Based on what? Was a bandsaw mill not a good fit for your needs or just this one?   Did you find a manual mill wrong?  Wrong size? Too much work?  Did you have mechanical issues?  Support and/or service?    Can you be more specific in your case?   Without any additional information it is hard to use your experience in any context.

cntryby

I thought about posting a new thread, but I didn't want to start a bashing thread. In a thread like this it's probably not appropriate. If the original poster wants specifics I'll give them.

The saw works, just mine had a lot of little things requiring corrections.
Grey haired riders didn't get that way from pure luck.

rasman57

Fair enough since you are willing to share your experience.  PM sent.   

I think even the sponsors would want real life experience and observations about the mills ESPECIALLY on this site as it is by far the best site available for gathering and sharing information.   I don't think a thoughtful and factual presentation, without bashing would trouble anyone who is trying to find pros and cons on any particular mill or model etc.    Lots of modifications and improvements are usually based on customer ideas and feedback.

Most folks who use the forum and the internet quickly sort out sour grapes from reality.   FOR SURE Jeff and his crew do.   

Jimpa

Thanks for the welcome. I would be interested in hearing positive and negatives on either machine. I
know the 36" machines have large decks but I thought the extra deck space and larger motor might be nice.Most of my logs will be 8 to 16 feet in length with a diameter of 14 to 20 inches. Yes I  do have a 45 hp tractor with forks for loading.

Bruno of NH

The Thomas is a well built mill .
My 8013 can cut 36 inch and I have cut some big logs oak and pine . The hardest cutting log was hickory but I have some 4 * bands to try next time . My mill is honda powered . Do they still use Hondas ?
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jimpa

Bruno
Yes, the Honda is still used on all the Thomas models. . 20HP on the 8020 mill and 13HP on the 6013 mill.
It looks like the EZ Boardwalks come in about $1500. less for like models. Of course there is shipping to consider on the Boardwalk mills.

Bruno of NH

I looked at the EZ well built
I liked the trailer pkg better on the Thomas it can be raised up for less bending when cutting . You can leave axle on or take off .
The shipping not that bad on the EZ they use honda and Subaru power. I have Subaru power on my john Deere gen set .
Bruno

thecfarm

Jimpa,welcome to the forum.
I have the 60 Thomas model with a 20hp Honda. They will build whatever you want. I had the 20 hp add on,no flex track and a four foot extension. Yes,it brought the price up,but I feel it was all worth it. The 4 foot extension is REAL handy. Instead of just a few inches to put a 16 foot log on I have 4 feet. The extension also lets me get the head out of the way too.I also have the movable bunks. I can move the bunks and cut a 16 inch stick with no jig. I don't know how many models come like that now,but it can be handy. I have cut some 3 foot cedar moving the bunks. I also saw another feature that was not available when I bought mine. There is a handle that drops down one side of the head to saw clapboards. No need to saw a cant,take the cant off and put a jig on. Now saw the cant and work the lever and saw clapboards.
I've seen the boardwalk at a show. They look as well built as the Thomas.
Thomas also has a Centrfigual clutch,just like a chainsaw,press the throttle and that is it. That was a big selling point with my shoulder that acts up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jimpa

One of my concerns is whether or not the 2 post head unit is as stable and precise as the 4 post unit. Comparing the 6013 to the 8020 mills from Thomas. Also Thomas mill owners if you had to do it over again would you get another Thomas mill ?

dsgsr

Welcome , Jimpa! We must be in the same neighborhood. I have my blades sharpened at Thomas, but don't have their mill (wish I did) they seem to be really good people.
Only my Opinion, but local support is worth a few thousand dollars.

David

Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Jimpa

Hi David,
No we are not far away, We have farm in Sidney Maine. I haven't been down to Brooks yet to see the Thomas mills , but will definitely make the trip down in the near future. I will pay a premium for buying local, but also want the best equipment I can afford. 

thecfarm

Yes,I would buy another Thomas. It's a simple mill,not much to go wrong. The 2 post design works well.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

My 8013 is a modified 4 post .
You won't find a stronger base with the no flex track for the money .
I like the look of the Cooks mills but no dealer in NewEngland
Bruno

thecfarm

I almost think they had to go with the 4 post on their wide mill.

Jimpa

Lap siding attachment is a important add on due to the fact the 40x50 barn will need residing. Any input on the two different types of lap siding methods (ez boardwalks jig or Thomas blade angle adjustment. Has anyone used Thomas lap siding attachment?

thecfarm

I only saw it at a show. I betcha if you called Jon,he would let you play with one.  ;)

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF Jimpa,

I believe you cannot go wrong either way.
So what I could consider is builder location.
Have you tested a Thomas yet??

Dan

Jimpa

I have not tested the Thomas mill yet. I will be making a trip down next week to see the mill in operation. I will also make them aware of my interest in a siding attachment.

Verticaltrx

Just another thought, if you have a 10K budget you could get a Woodmizer LT15 (28" cap.) for around $7K, or an LT15 Wide (36" cap.) for just under $10K. From what I've heard the Thomas and EZ Boardwalk are good mills, but I can also say you absolutely wouldn't be disappointed with a Woodmizer. Norwood also has several mills that fits your needs and budget.
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

DDobbs

I just sold my EZ Boardwalk Jr.
I was going to move up to a hydraulic mill.
But since have changed my mind.
I am going to go get a EZ Boardwalk 40
They are so well built and easy to use.
I never had any problems what so ever with my Jr.
I just wanted to be able to mill bigger slabs.
I mostly mill Osage / Hedge , Maple and Walnut.
Stanton and Ed at EZ Boardwalk are great to talk with. Give them a call.
  Welcome to FF
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

yukon cornelius

i mill almost daily with my ez jr. I have had it for 3 years and not a single problem with the mill. I have a 10 ft. extension and the siding/shingle attachment.  very easy to use and install. they were also very great to deal with. I would buy again.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

47sawdust

Either mill will serve you well.For me ,hands on experience,would be really important.Also, the fact that a dealer was just down the road would give me piece of mind.
You probably know this,but there is a WM dealer in Chesterville,Me.,they might have something that would fit your budget.
Best of luck,
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Downstream

I just bought an EZ Boardwalk Jr last week so thought I would add comments on my decision.   First of all I had hard cash limit of about $4500 for a bandsaw mill.  Had been looking daily on craigslist and other mill exchange sites for over 6 months looking for used EZ, Woodmizer, TimberKing, and Norwood with no luck. Narrowed down to Woodmizer LT10 and EZ Jr.  Went with EZ for because it had the following features i really felt made it the best value for me.  First of all 13hp honda or 14hp subaru for engine.  Ive heard it a million times on the forums hp is king on bandsaw mill.  Second, hand crank height adjust for ease and better repeatability of thickness.  Third log size and width of cut.  I make mostly live edge furniture so wanted as much cut width as I could afford at my price point.  Many other things such as welded c-channel rails, 4-post structural tube frame, 2 clamps come std, auto lube on/off valve, adjustable band guide, fully assembled at the factory, etc put me over the edge.  Can't comment on the Thomas because it was never really on the list for me.  Not because I did not like it,but just because it was not as talked about during my research.  Just to give you and idea of how rugged the construction on the EZ is they picked up the entire mill including rails as one piece and placed it on my trailer at the shop using a welded lift lug that is placed to balance the unit and the yard truck.  took about a minute.  unfortunately unloading at home was not quite as easy because i do not have lifting machine, but it still pretty easy. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

etroup10

I can't say anything about Thomas since I have never seen one. But I do own an EZ 40. I like it a lot! If I remember correctly shipping to me in Pennsylvania was around $450-500. The mill is really well thought out and is simple. Most of the parts would be pretty easy to get. It's nice having the throttle, blade engage and lube all turn on when pulling the lever. The angled cut is nice and the mill includes a moveable bunk for cutting short logs. Probably the only thing I don't like on the mills is the dogs. They can be finicky at times to get just right. I can't help you with the siding attachment. I don't have a track extension but I wish I did. It would make cutting 16' logs a lot nicer. I'm sure Thomas makes a good mill too so you'll probably be fine with either choice! Sounds like you'll be having fun soon!
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

thecfarm

If I could find all the options with another mill that I mentioned in reply #13,Than I MIGHT just give another brand a look see. Also the thinkness of the metal that is used too.
I forgot about the dogs. I have never had trouble with them,as long as I use them right. It's hard to explain,but when you go to Brooks you will see the simple design.

Downstream

Fortunately I had a few days off last week so I was able to level the mill and rolled a couple of small logs up to try it out.  Milled one 4x8x8 beam and some 4/4 boards  and 8/4 slabs.  What a difference vs my chainsaw mill and everything was flat/smooth.    I tested the 15 degree angle cut theory and was actually able to push it through a 14" log with one finger.  I also have set the mill up with an ever so slight downhill slope which is a trick that most chainsaw mill owners learn quickly.   Hope to mill again tomorrow.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Jimpa

Judging by the number of satisfied users of both mills I guess my decision will come down to features that best suit the milling I will be doing. The lap siding attachment will be a big deal because I will need to mill approximately 12000 lin. feet of siding out of pine.  I thank all of you who have contributed to this discussion your input is greatly valued.

Bullett442

Jimpa, which mill did you end up with?  I am looking at both of the same mills right now and wondered how you made out with your decision.  Thanks!

Magicman

EZ BOARDWALK is a Forestry Forum Sponsor.  LINK  Thomas is not a sponsor.

You may very well also need a peavey or canthook. LINK
LOGRITE is also a sponsor.

And, Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Finish filling out your Profile so that we will know and remember.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gere Flewelling

Jimpa, I have been to Brooks to check out the Thomas operation.  It was a summer day and we were in the area on vacation.  I called ahead and drove over there in the late morning in the middle of the week.  Jon dropped everything and came out and demo'd a mill he had set up and even allowed me to operate it.  Showed me around the facility and gave me a good sales pitch.  Had I not committed to purchasing another brand, I likely would have purchased a mill from Thomas.  I remember him showing me the lap siding set up on the mill I operated.  Very simple and it is always installed on the machine and there is nothing to add or adjust when you want to start making siding or stop making siding.  There new version of mills have it included as a standard feature.  If you go to check them out, I think you will be impressed.  If you think of it, suggest they consider or reconsider becoming a sponsor on FF.  I think discussions of their mills would occur a little more often that way.  Good Luck! GF
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Bruno of NH

I had mentioned it to Jon about becoming a sponsor of the FF.
I think he would sell alot more mills and edgers.
But no luck.

Thank You Sponsors!