iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Warner T98 to New Process

Started by crazy4saws, December 29, 2015, 10:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy4saws

Anyone know if there is a new process transmission that is a drop in for Borg Warner T98? I thought I ran across that info on here before but I'm not finding much info using the search function.

Ive been adding up the total for parts I would need to properly rebuild mine and it might be wiser to get a transmission than rebuild this one. I've heard NP are excellent and parts are readily availible.

bushmechanic

No problem swapping stuff if everything is in order. The spline on the clutch, the SAE # on the bell housing, the throw out bearing, the output yoke size, etc. The New Process is a good transmission, good bearings and good oil and they are a lifetime gearbox.

crazy4saws

Thanks bushmechanic for the info.
It looks like a 435 NP is the equal to a t98 but I'm not positive.  would it bolt up without modification?

Ox

New Process 435 transmissions are one of the toughest, most reliable trannies out there.  This coming from a guy I know who's dealt with Fords all his life and his business revolves around older Ford parts.  Reports of well over 500,000 miles on older state trucks with the 435 transmission.  The transmission itself can be modified to fit by simply changing bellhousing and tailstock.  In other words, take your bellhousing and mount it on the "new" transmission.  The easiest way to do it is to find a NP tranny for your make machine.  Then it's a guarantee.
I'm pretty sure the tranny manufacturers made their trannies to fit the Ford bellhousing, not the other way around so you can swap trannies using the same bellhousing that came with the truck.  As far as clutch distances, there should be no problem.  A few careful measurements between the two trannies only takes a minute and will remove any doubt.  You can also take some cardboard and place it against any bolt hole patterns and spray something through the holes to mark the cardboard and then you can compare that bolt pattern to another to see if they'll align.
I've had two bad BW trannies in the past, popping out of 2nd gear.  Changed to the NP and no more problems.  This is all in the same truck, 1980 Ford F150 4x4.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!