iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric poles - anybody saw any??

Started by fischerfarm1, December 29, 2015, 02:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fischerfarm1

Just wondering if anyone has cut electric poles on there sawmill? I have a customer who wants me to do some and says they have 1/2" of creosote on the outside, thinkin they might be nasty cutting??

Sawmill Man

Your thinking is right, stay away from them if possible.               
                                                                                     David
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

sawguy21

Creosote is nasty stuff to handle and cut, best to walk from that one.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawyerBrown

Hey, Greg, (ahem, I mean "fischerfarm1"), nice to see you on here, my man!  Welcome to the Forestry Forum!  You might want to introduce yourself to the rest of the folks here on the Forum, and maybe post a couple of pictures of that new LT35HD and some of your support equipment! 

As far as electric poles, agree with the others if they're heavily creosoted.  I did some big cedar poles up your way last summer, they were OK, but we didn't saw the bottom 6' or so.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Banjo picker

Welcome to the forum.  Most have done it at least once.  Once is enough for most.  It was for me.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

samandothers

I would not saw creosote, penta nor CCA (green).  The creosote is some caustic stuff.  It will burn the skin and I would think not good on the lungs.  May be pretty tough on blades too.

There have been other posts on this topic.

Josh3760

Quote from: Banjo picker on December 29, 2015, 05:42:42 PM
Welcome to the forum.  Most have done it at least once.  Once is enough for most.  It was for me.  Banjo

X2
Josh

Sixacresand

Quote from: samandothers on December 29, 2015, 06:26:14 PM
I would not saw creosote, penta nor CCA (green).  The creosote is some caustic stuff.  It will burn the skin and I would think not good on the lungs.  May be pretty tough on blades too.

There have been other posts on this topic.
I get the light headed after breathing fumes from creosote lumber. Somebody will probably start sniffing used crossties.  :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Nomad

Welcome Fischerfarm1. 

Think about it.  Creosote will cause nasty chemical burns on your skin, made worse by sweat.  Not to mention what it could do to your lungs, if you breathe any dust.
     In some circles it's considered a carcinogen.  (I have no idea if that's accurate or not.)
You'll need to throw away any clothes you wore cutting those poles 'cuz you'll never get the smell out of em.
     It's also highly flammable.  And don't forget that the sawdust with it is considered HazMat and should be treated as such.
     Do you really want/need to take on that headache?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

5quarter

Hi and welcome. I say take all the necessary precautions and saw'em up. then you can say you beenthere and done that.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, fischerfarm1.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

woodmills1

I sawed poles once..................... :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

kelLOGg

I sawed a flat on opposite sides on one once for myself. I needed a "foundation" for a lumber rack under my barn shed. I had one pole left and that's how I used it.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

fishfighter

I asked this same question a few months ago. Was told to walk away. ;D I did. :D I used to do power line work and many days I got skin burns just handling it. >:(

caveman

Jmoore and I sawed a bunch of transmission pole tops (we cut off the creosoted bottoms).  We sawed steady for a day and a half and ended up with a couple of good piles of nice wood.  The poles were supposed to be cleaned of all metal.  We ruined nine blades due to metal strikes.  We have declined to saw poles ever since.  Other than frequently changing damaged blades, their roundness and uniformity improved production efficiency over logs.

The creosote can inflict some nasty burns to the skin.  We have used a lot of creosote poles as corner posts.   Years ago, during the heat of August, I was cutting off the tops of corner posts to make them a uniform height using a chainsaw-since it was August I was not wearing a shirt and the saw chips hitting my chest created a lasting, warm sensation.
Caveman

Solomon

As long as you stay up wind of the dust and dont mind the tedious clean up, and the customer is willing to pay an extra charge for the  "Hazmat",  I will saw creosote poles into 8x8's, 6x6's or what ever I can get from the pole.
In other words 4 cuts to square them up for posts or chaulking dunnage, but I will not mill a bunch of boards or fence pickets.  That is just to much exposure.
So the moral of my story is  "everything to moderation".  Just use your head and good judgment in everything you do. :P :new_year:
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

LittleJohn

...by us in the GREAT WHITE NORTH, they only put Creosote where the pole is in contact with dirt (with maybe a foot or two above ground exposed).  The rest of the pole looks like its been green treated - just be careful of the sawdust I think it might make you awfully itchy.

BTW the METAL power poles are very hard to cut :D

Thank You Sponsors!