iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Echo CS670

Started by Russellkemp, December 28, 2015, 08:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russellkemp

I just purchased 40 acres of heavily timbered land mostly pine and oak. Went looking for a new chainsaw and found a Echo CS670 W/27 inch bar brand new. I know this model has been discontinued but the dealer is willing to let it go for $450.00. Just wandering what y'all think about the Echo line (this saw particularly)I will be using it to clear a homesite and felling dead trees. 20"-30" range.

samandothers

I have a small Echo for limbing and really like it.  I would buy another.  My bigger saw is a 'farmer' style Stihl.

beenthere

Russell
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Will help you if you click your forum name and there you will be able to update your profile to include at least your location. If you have been reading forum threads and posts, you will have appreciated knowing the location of the poster, I'm certain. ;)

A check on this forum brings up some previous threads..
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=10129.0

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=37474.0

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=35846.0
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SawTroll

The 670 is an older Echo model with a lot of weight for the modest cc and power.
Information collector.

celliott

$450 sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
I've ran one before, no, not as fast as say a 372xp husky, and probably a tad heavier but it's a well built solid saw, with an additional manual oiler as well (not seen too often)
It is a fine saw for blocking firewood or felling, but I wouldn't want to limb softwood all day or dice brush with it.

If you're going to be using saws a lot on your property, maybe consider getting two saws. A 50cc/70cc makes a good combination. 50cc for small stuff and general "grab it and go" work and a 70cc for bucking and felling and handling bigger tasks.
Otherwise, you have a saw that's underpowered for some stuff or too big, heavy and unwieldy for your work. Do it all saws are out there and work fine, but I like to match saws to the task at hand.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

JBlain

I would buy it.  That's a well made saw that will last at a lower grade price.  I sold my 59cc husky and now have a 52cc husky for small work, brush, limbing and the 72cc husky for the bigger stuff.  It has saved my back and also a lot of time especially working bigger trees. 
Josh

sharkey

Echo cs-670 is fairly strong stock and is made to run forever.  To make it quick it needs exhaust work, a  larger carb and some transfer porting work.  Built well these have a metal tank so they are a little heavier. 

DanG

I've had a cs670 since 2002 and I've been very pleased with it.  The only trouble I've ever had with it was with some screws vibrating out.  A dab of Loctite on each solved that problem.  It has been very dependable and starts easy.  I would jump on it for that price.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Cliff R

I owned two of them and one CS-6700 which is an older model/version.  As mentioned they are very well built saws and will last for many years.

The power to weight ratios are only average, and the engines power curve is narrow and lacking in top end power for the cc's.  I also owned the large CS-8000 and found it to be about the same.

All of them went on Ebay, as I have professional Husqvarna saws in that cc range that were simply just stronger runners all the way around.  These include a 262XP, 268XP, 181SE and 480CD.

Even with all that said, if I didn't already have the Husqvarna saws, the Echo's would still be in my line-up.......Cliff
If you can read this, thank a teacher.  If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!

Thank You Sponsors!