The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: 372XP X-Torq Modding  (Read 34660 times)

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • ehpsaws.com
Re: 372XP X-Torq Modding
« Reply #440 on: August 07, 2017, 09:40:07 pm »
No, you put engine at TDC and it has to be TDC perfect, fill combustion chamber to second thread on sparkplug hole , measure how much volume of oil you used , next role piston down to BDC fill to second thread on sparkplug hole , measure oil volume used , now you got to have the ports closed off but you already knew this and you would already know the cc volume of the engine . I have a computer program that I put the number in and it can tell me pretty much everything I need  now I can make changes to my ports like transfers that will add cc volume to the crankcase and see how that affects the engine , I also have a engine dyno on computer that I can take a engine numbers and port and the dyno will tell me if they work or if the port numbers are wrong mainly thou on if your over porting a port the computer will tell you that will not work. But I honestly cannot remember the last time I used any of that stuff , Had so many different motors apart I pretty much just look and can tell what I want to do

Offline XP_Slinger

• Full Member x2
  • Makin my way
« Reply #441 on: August 08, 2017, 05:40:23 am »
Interesting stuff.  I've never measured Case volume, seems like a more precise way to determine what changes should be made to ports. 
346XP/NE
357XP...ported by MeDremel
372XP/XT...ported by A. Burr
Homelite (Solo) 340

I'd rather be in the woods than on this computer.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #442 on: August 08, 2017, 05:47:15 pm »
crankcase volume plays a huge roll in how a motor runs and mainly torque , you can make top end horsepower playing with making the volume larger but at some point it will become a very top couple hundred rpms will be any good to you. But on average most chainsaw motors are to tight and can use a larger crankcase volume and they will make more horsepower but the down side is the engine will also require more fuel and that amount of fuel depends on the amount you increase the cc volume of the crankcase and also with more power you will produce more engine heat which is not a good thing

Offline XP_Slinger

• Full Member x2
  • Makin my way
« Reply #443 on: August 09, 2017, 06:33:37 am »
Yes sir.  It's that delicate balance that we're all looking to achieve.  It's the difference between a DIY woods port and a pro such as yourself.  I really enjoy learning about this stuff. 
346XP/NE
Homelite (Solo) 340

Offline EvilRoySlade

• I make me proud
« Reply #444 on: August 09, 2017, 08:10:17 am »
Which is were the whole BMEP comes into play correct?  It would be fun to see the simulations on the software to help understand what affects what. Watch what happens when fat lazy transfers are ground and such.

Offline CJBrown

• CJBrown
« Reply #445 on: August 09, 2017, 09:08:51 am »
If a larger crankcase volume is desirable when trying to produce more HP, what role do crank stuffers play in some of the production saws? Is it to keep the charge above the spinning crank and out of the bottom of the crankcase? Reduce bottom end turbulence? And how do they affect bottom end lubrication?

Offline XP_Slinger

• Full Member x2
  • Makin my way
« Reply #446 on: August 09, 2017, 09:54:01 am »
The way I understand crank stuffers is they increase charge velocity and pressure.  Which in turn gives the Saw more torque at higher rpm.  I think...
346XP/NE
Homelite (Solo) 340

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #447 on: August 09, 2017, 06:06:22 pm »
Bmep is a ratio that can help BUT you still have to use common sense cause you can design a engine that has a super high Bmep number that looks on paper or computer screen to be super but in real world terms the engine could never run at that Bmep ratio . Just like most computer software you still need to think , same as building 2 stroke pipes . You need to tell the program what you want to do,

Offline CJBrown

• CJBrown
« Reply #448 on: August 09, 2017, 06:29:50 pm »
BMEP - I had to look that one up.