iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsered 630 carburator replacement what fits?

Started by ry597, August 30, 2019, 02:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ry597

Hello, ive been searching on this topic for a while, i can't seem to find any information in regards of the older style jred's. I need a new carburator to replace my tillotson HS 218A. I heard that the 218 was restritive and i can't seem to get my hands on one. I was wondering which carb would be a direct bolt on ? Also i was wondering what brand should i get? I saw some aftermarkets one on amazon i don't know if their good? I believe there was 3 brand ( hipa, flypig, laliva). Any feedback would be appreciated thanks! 

sawguy21

The HS series has been around a long time and is pretty well proven. I have seen the local dealer change 2 or 3 of the aftermarket carbs before they find one that works, the extra labor has to be eaten. Sure, they are cheap but at what cost?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ry597

its because you can't buy them new anymore. im from canada, buying one off ebay would end up way too expensive... i was building a quad back in the days and i was charge border fees on every single package.. i can't find any other tillotson in my area or on any canadian site. since the hs218a is so old i cannot get a replacement one. I searched on amazon and find a replacement one for a husqvarna 272. i was told thatmany tillotson's carb can fit these saws. nobody in my area has them for sale im kind of stuck here..

Maine logger88

Hs224 off a 266xp would be a nice carb for that saw
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

ry597

would one off a 272 fit? and i can't find them anywhere, im only finding cheap replacements on ebay... is it still worth buying

HolmenTree

Tillotson Ireland still makes the HS carb. This 260 will fit the 268XP and 272XP..
HS-260A Carburetor - Tillotson
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ry597

thanks! didn't know they still made them. its either going to be a hs254b or an hs-260a! already did base gasket delete, the carb is going to help alot.

Michael

It will fit but the choke will be different if looking at the pictures is accurate. Can't you rebuild your old one after a nice sonic clean?  Mike
If you need saws or parts I may be able to help.

ry597

i could butt it won't hold vacuum, theres a stripped few strip bolts that hold the cover over the pump diaphram. i ordered and rebuilted a 272 carb, it fits nice and works good. im dealing with other issue with the saw so i can not test it like i want to.

David B

I was researching 218s and found this thread. 

I would like to note for future searchers that a husky carb will not have provision for high idle like a jonsered. 
Machine and welding shop day job, trees after work.

Spike60

True, and to make it a little clearer if I may..........

On the Jonnys, the high idle was set with the choke, as most saws today. The corresponding Huskys set the high idle with the thumb latch above the trigger. I'm  not sure if the carb linkages that accomplish that could be moved from one to the other, cause I've never tried it. Another thing I've never tried, but would possibly work would be to notch the top of the Jonsered tank and use the Husky throttle OPC latch. Ya gotta be creative with these old saws. :)

There is also a difference with the regular idle adjustment between the early twin coil saws and the later single coil saws that applies to both brands. The idle screw for the early saws was in the case while the later saws had the idle screw on the carb. If a carb from an early saw was used on a later saw, there'd be no way to adjust the idle.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

Quote from: ry597 on August 30, 2019, 02:05:53 PM
Hello, ive been searching on this topic for a while, i can't seem to find any information in regards of the older style jred's. I need a new carburator to replace my tillotson HS 218A. I heard that the 218 was restritive and i can't seem to get my hands on one. I was wondering which carb would be a direct bolt on ? Also i was wondering what brand should i get? I saw some aftermarkets one on amazon i don't know if their good? I believe there was 3 brand ( hipa, flypig, laliva). Any feedback would be appreciated thanks!  

Were there images that went with this post.....'cuz  I never saw any?
Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!