iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Things to do in New Orleans?

Started by SawyerBrown, December 26, 2015, 08:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerBrown

The Mrs SawyerBrown and I are headed there at the end of January (2016).  We both are into music, so that will be awesome, but anybody have other recommendations?  I've heard the WWII museum is fantastic.  We plan to rent a car ...

I've asked the Mrs to get me some beads down there.    ;D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

dgdrls

walk Bourbon street in the day, stop at LaFittes Blacksmith shop/Bar
Go to the Mint,

Get a trolly pass and ride to the end of Canal Street and walk the cemetery,
Trolly over to the Garden district get out and walk you will pass Gen Lee Monument
see it before the PC folks have it removed,  its very close to WWII Museum as well

Stop at Jackson Sq and Cafe DuMonde,

plenty to see and no car required!

Dan

POSTON WIDEHEAD

They have some pretty good seafood down there. Shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it Sawyer Brown.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

dean herring

D Day museum is very good. Plan on at least one whole day there. You won't be disappointed. We plan on going back when they open up the new addition called The Campaign of Courage.
We bought a brick in the sidewalk for my daddy that was in the 101st Airborne Screaming Eagles.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WV Sawmiller

Be sure to get a good fresh shrimp or oyster Po Boy sandwich. I was there in the summer and got to watch the fireworks out on the river for the 4th of July. Good street performers and musicians there as I remember. Just stroll and check out the shops. Haven't been there since Katrina so not sure if same ambience but I'd bet it is.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

Used to always go to a great place called "Mothers" for PoBoy's.

http://www.mothersrestaurant.net/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tree-farmer

Music room called Preservation Hall is woth the trip. Old back men playing blues and jazz, the guys are the real deal.  The graveyards are interesting too, be carefull though, some are in crime prone areas.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

LaneC

There is also the French market, and the aquarium of the Americas. I think they are at the very end of Canal St. (all in the same vicinity) x2 on what they said about certain areas at night. Pat O'Brians is also off of Bourbon St. I am pretty sure. It has been a loooong time since I have been there.(pat O's) We are only about 40 miles from down there. If you need anything when down here holler.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Raider Bill

Give blood, get a couple tattoos, and go watch the bead earners.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SawyerBrown

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 28, 2015, 09:01:01 AM
Give blood, get a couple tattoos, and go watch the bead earners.
:D :D :D

I'd be a little afraid of the tattoos.  Might look OK today, but the way things are starting to sag, might not look the same in a year or two! 

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 26, 2015, 09:03:44 PM
They have some pretty good seafood down there. Shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it Sawyer Brown.

Menu seems to be a bit limited ...  After about 3 months, you'd probably have to have the same thing over again! 

Thanks for the suggestions, y'all!  With all the ice, slush, downed power lines, and cold rain blowing sideways, wish I was already there!  (Although know some of you fellas have it a whole lot worse right now ...)
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: SawyerBrown on December 28, 2015, 03:46:59 PM

I'd be a little afraid of the tattoos.  Might look OK today, but the way things are starting to sag, might not look the same in a year or two! 

I think I'm a little older than you. So with that being said, heres a Tatoo of my Grand-Maw I have. Its not sagging, so you should be OK to get one.  ;D

tree-farmer

Poston you never cease to amaze me  :D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Jeff

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 28, 2015, 05:31:10 PM
, heres a Tatoo of my Grand-Maw I have.

PLEASE do not show us your udder tattoo.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on December 28, 2015, 06:53:47 PM

:D :D :D :D :D You're killing me!  :D :D :D :D :D

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 28, 2015, 06:55:49 PM
Quote from: Jeff on December 28, 2015, 06:53:47 PM

:D :D :D :D :D You're killing me!  :D :D :D :D :D

Now, I was never really a farm kid, just a country preacher's kid, but I'm pretty sure only NANNY GOATS have UDDERS...

Herb

SawyerBrown

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on December 28, 2015, 11:22:11 PM
Now, I was never really a farm kid, just a country preacher's kid, but I'm pretty sure only NANNY GOATS have UDDERS...
Herb

And we don't want to see GRANNY goat's udder, either, Mr Poston!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: SawyerBrown on December 29, 2015, 05:38:11 PM
Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on December 28, 2015, 11:22:11 PM
Herb

And we don't want to see GRANNY goat's udder, either, Mr Poston!

smiley_thumbsup

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Gadrock

We used to be particularly fond on the South Shore, which is the farthest north part of N.O. Many restaurants near the yacht club and some nice places to shop. These places are not like those down in the darker districts for the tourists. I also enjoyed several of the great food establishments and open air sidewalk bars on Magazine Street.

A drive across Lake Ponchetrain is a good idea and stop in over at some of the great establishments on the North Shore like, well I cannot remember, but they were fun. Food is great. Then take a drive to the East to I-59/I-10 to re-enter the city from Slidell. Maybe take a swamp tour while there before going back into the city. Later that evening stop in at Felix's for great dining and/or oysters.  I go across the stree first and start with shrimp Roumelade(sp) salad.

And take someone else's credit card.

Enjoy

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Thank You Sponsors!