iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A red oak Buckboard bench!

Started by isawlogs, December 26, 2015, 05:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

I was asked to build a bench.... Basickly instructions where... beefy, 91" wide, sent him a pic of an old Buckboard bench and it was a go. I had sawed the red oak a few years ago for him and now he wanted to give his lovely wife a bench to go in front of the stove in the entrance of the house.

It all tarted here a few years ago,.... had to plow my way to the logs!

A small jump to the Bench  ;D Don't have any pics of the boards before they became a bench  ;)

The Buckboard Iron came off a sleigh that was made in the 19th century. They where quite rusty when I got them, had to do something to get the rust off but did not want to wire brush them and lose the old look, tried something I saw on the net a while back. I heated them up till cherry red, let them cool some and then cooled them with bees wax, the wax burns on the metal and gives it a nice soft black patina.

I also had to do something about the zinc carriage bolts. I put the bolts into a carriage bolt holder and proceeded to heat them red, whack um witht he ballpean hammer, got the bolt markings off gave them a hammered look and also gave them the wax treatment....

The carving of the two Muskox butting heads was done by a friend of mine, Mr Russ Zeitz, he did the carving from a pic another friend had taken in the Arctic Nansen Weber. I have that pic on my facebook page somewheres.....

I made the back straps from ¼" flat bar heated and hammered the ends as to flatten them down, bent them to give the back board a few ° angle, then another wax treament and we where good to go!!

Here it sits in its new home!!!

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

lowpolyjoe

Great piece!

That iron hardware is fantastic and the carving is excellent.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Delawhere Jack

Andy White

Marcel,
That is the finest bench I've seen on this site! Massive and sturdy. Love the finish and the steel treatment. Very well done! Will you be building the wagon next???  Really nice project for sure.     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

thecfarm

Pretty smart guy on the metal workings too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rasman57

Very creative thoughtful work.   Outstanding!

sandsawmill14

i love that bench smiley_thumbsup  red oak is still the nicest looking wood far as grain and color (imo ;D ) even if i am using cedar and ambrosia maple in my own house :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

DanG

Fabulous bench!  I will NOT be showing this to my wife.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

samandothers

Marcel
That is great!  Really like the finish look and the treating of the steel. 

LaneC

Man makes plans and God smiles

Woodey

Nice Design! :)

Good craftsmanship.

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

ellmoe

Very cool! Love the old metal.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

SwampDonkey

That's really a great looking bench. The wood is also nice, even like the look on the board ends. The metal works accentuates it well. Your buddy does nice wood engraving/carving to. A real treasure in that bench.  :) 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Marcel......mine has French wheels on it.  :D :D :D :D

I love your work Sir.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Banjo picker

Nice looking bench you have there.  We have come to expect no less, everything I have seen that you have built is first rate.   :)  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

21incher

That is a great job. The details set it apart from any others that I have seen. You need to come up with a hardware kit so others can enjoy your design. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

cbla

51cub

I like it! Alot! the only thing I would change is make  sure when you heat up zinc, you have plenty of ventilation
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

steve marek

WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

Kbeitz

Was the wheels cut out whole or pieced in ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!