iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For all the block heater users

Started by yukon cornelius, December 26, 2015, 10:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

I found something I really like. I needed a thermostat for the well house and remembered seeing one that plugs in inline for heat lamps and such. I started thinking about how well that would work for the block heater on my truck. I like to plug it in but I don't drive it often. This would  keep it from having power on it all the time. It comes on at 34 I think and I forget the off temp and it rated for 15 amps.  I got it from the hardware store. It is working well so far.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Chuck White

Sounds like it might be a worthy test.

Sounds feasable.

Wouldn't hurt to try it.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sawguy21

I used to put the block heater on a timer, I could set it to come on in 6,9, or 12 hours. I turned it on at 10, it kicked in at 4 am so the engine was warmed when I left for work at 7. It sure cut the power bill, those things draw a lot of power.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Brucer

I combined both ideas when I had a diesel pickup. Way back when, I found an extension cord that had a built-in thermostat, specifically designed to be used with block heaters. I also put an industrial timer in my garage and set it to come on 3 hours before I would normally leave for work. It worked great.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

timberlinetree

Nice! On of the nicest things is a plugged in piece of equipment on freezing days.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Ox

I salvaged a "Grey Box" electric water heater timer and rigged it up in the shop to come on a few hours before I had to leave for work.  Used it on my old 86 Ford crew cab dually diesel.  Same principle, different means.  Worked well, saved money. 
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

yukon cornelius

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Reddog

A google search for Thermostatic outlets gives you all sorts of options.

I just use the timer myself.

Thank You Sponsors!