iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does any one here use a Swing Blade setup to cut Cross ties?

Started by just_sawing, December 26, 2015, 08:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

I am thinking about adding a Lucus 10-30 to my operation to cut cross ties and slab. I am changing my operation to be more retail but there is always a base need for the bill payers of ties.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

just_sawing

The newer Swing mills can cut a 10 inch cut. With the smaller tie logs that I am not concern in getting side boards I can see a basic 4 to 6 cut tie.
Not having to turn the log but maybe once (Seeing the bottom face may make it needed.) and cutting both going and coming sounds good.
I want to have a slabbing operation but don't want a piece of equipment just sitting.
You can follow me at

just_sawing

Contacted the Lucus People and they gave me a name of a person in Mississippi. Had a wonderful conversation but it turned out I have more footage on a lucus than he did.
He was concern about the blade heating up on 7 inch cuts but he was still on the three blades that came with the machine. I know from experience like all mills even the lucus has to have the teeth replaced and sharpened.
I don't see a problem in cutting ties but I expect to have to flip the cant which isn't normal in the lucus cutting pattern.
You can follow me at

sigidi

You don't need to flip the log, you just take a pass and shave off any stress which has occurred, then keep going....
Always willing to help - Allan

Grandedog

Quote from: sigidi on December 29, 2015, 03:44:58 PM
You don't need to flip the log, you just take a pass and shave off any stress which has occurred, then keep going....
Howdy,
   That's one of the beauties of a swing blade. Also, when you start working the lower half of the log, you leave a wing of wood on the extreme right hand side (from the operators position) of the log. This keeps the log from moving (cupping or bowing) as you finish it off.

In the vertical position a full 10" cut is no problem, in the horizontal position over 6" should be done in 2 passes. It has more to do with chip clearance than heating.

As far as the slabbing attachment goes, you can switch operations in a half hour.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

just_sawing

I wish I could find someone out there cutting ties with a Swing Blade.
We have a LT70 running and to put the Swing Blade there also it has to make its money to pay for the out lay.
You can follow me at

Ron Wenrich

Why do you think the only way to make money with a swing blade is to cut ties?  They are great at cutting quartersawn.  Also good at cutting dimension - hardwood or softwood. 

If you're looking at cutting low grade logs into ties, I think you should consider a circle mill.  The production rates are high and log handling is much easier.  A bit more labor with an edger, but it depends how you incorporate it with your band mill. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

longtime lurker

on smaller tie logs there isn't much that will outperform a scragg.
On bigger logs a swingmill might be the best option out there for that kind of cross section
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

just_sawing

I am probably picky up a swing blade this year. I agree with the scrag mill and the good parts of quarter sawing. What my problem is we are sawing production now with a Lt70. We are putting in a dry Kiln and are being asked to furnish Slab tables by some of our customers. I don't want to just have the Swing blade sitting waiting on a Slab job. I can put a person on full time using the Swing blade but the easiest full time is to cut ties.
That is the dilema in a nut shell.
You can follow me at

Ianab

Is there a supply of "oversize" logs locally that no one else is able to process? Need not be big supply, but you make it known to your log suppliers that you can process the oddball 48"+ logs. A couple of them a day keeps a swing mill working. Quarter sawing on a swing blade is no more work than any other pattern, and as long as you are happy with some rift sawn boards as well, the recovery from the log will be similar too.

The mills are very versatile. Although they may not be the best for every scenario, there are very few milling tasks you can't do at least competently.

But I see no reason you can't use one to cut ties with reasonable efficiency. You would want to fabricate a log deck and proper bunks make loading and lining up quicker, and give some thought to handling the ties once sawn. But the actual sawing wouldn't be an issue.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!