iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rakers

Started by Lnewman, December 24, 2015, 02:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lnewman

A question for some of you experienced chainsaw users.  What is the reason for the difference in the number of bumpers in front of the cutter on a chain. Sometimes there is one sometimes there is two and once in a while I have seen even three.
Stihl 170, 210MS, 290MS, 441MS and Hudson bandsaw

millcreek40

The chains with more than one are safety chains or anti kickback chain
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

ladylake

If you want to make those safety chains cut grind those back humps off and make sure the one closest to the cutter isn't too high. They will cut as good as any chain then.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Banjo picker

Just don't grind off toooo much.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

ladylake

For sure make sure the raker closest to the cutter is at the right height, even brand new they are a little high on safety chains, those other safety humps can be ground as low as you want.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Lnewman

I find it hard to grind them down by hand or by hand held electro grinder .  What do you use?

ladylake

On the back safety humps I use a bench grinder, on the rakers I made a little machine where the rakers slide under a adjustable grinding wheel.  There are several ways too take the rakers down. most use a file but you can put a wide stone on a grinder and use that .  Steve

Lnewman

Thanks for the quick response and great info. One more quick question.   Do you work with the chain off the bar?

ladylake

I use a grinder so off the bar.   Steve

sandsawmill14

i file on the saw and use the "yellow" chain so i dont have the extra rakers. after the 2nd or 3rd sharpening on a new chain i just hit the rakers 3 strokes from a sharp flat file. that gets it close enough for me. they make gauges/guides for it but dad taught me without one and now it just seems awkward and in the way but i would say anyone learning to file a saw chain the guides would save alot of trial and error. i been runnig a saw since  i was 12 and can still remember how disappointing and aggravating it was to file a saw and it not cut good as it did before i filed it >:( :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

SawTroll

Quote from: millcreek40 on December 24, 2015, 03:48:09 PM

As always, there are exceptions. Some excellent "yellow" chain has a small ramp besides the rakers.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on December 27, 2015, 03:44:03 AM

As always, there are exceptions. Some excellent "yellow" chain has a small ramp besides the rakers.
Yes that ramp leaves the LPX chain with only 1 safety ramp. The LGX also has one safety ramp which is on the depth gauge.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Lnewman

Thanks for your helpful comments Mr Ladylake.   But I find it very difficult to file just to humps.   What happens if the humps & the raker are all taken down to the same height?

beenthere

Lnewman
QuoteBut I find it very difficult to file just to humps.

That being "two" ? or "to the humps" ??

As said be sure not to file off the rakers... seems these humps should not interfere with cutting on top or bottom of bar, but only come into play at the tip as the chain goes "round the bend" as they are below the raker... or should be.

A pic of the chain you are asking about would help the helpers.

Seems you are getting some confusion with the responses so far... maybe not.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ladylake

On some chains those safety humps are to high after a few sharpening's and need to be lowered , I just do it right away.  Steve

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on December 27, 2015, 11:43:50 AM
Quote from: SawTroll on December 27, 2015, 03:44:03 AM

Yes that ramp leaves the LPX chain with only 1 safety ramp. The LGX also has one safety ramp which is on the depth gauge.

Yep, just a different way to do it. 

Both the raker and the ramp is small on LPX, unlike some other chain that look somewhat similar (until you look closely) - but are "green" chain.
Information collector.

CR888

After going through a roll of APX and finishing off a roll of DPX l will not buy Oregon chain with the ramps. Removing them is a big PITA!!!!! But when you do they perform like they used too. I don't accept they cut as good with ramps other than bore cutting. After two rolls l am confident to say they do not.....even when bucking.

Lnewman

I still can't figure out how to file down the bumper(s) without filing the rakers. If you file them both down the chain can't cut at all at the tip  and doesn't seem to cut quite as well  at the top or the bottom of the bar

CR888

Hold the chain in your hand and do them one buy one with a chain grinder. A cut off wheel works too. If you do them with a hand raker file, report back next Christmas and we can discuss your progress.

beenthere

Just buy a different chain, if that much trouble.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Quote from: beenthere on December 29, 2015, 07:58:49 PM
Just buy a different chain, if that much trouble.

Amen. They are not THAT expensive.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Brandon1986

^ Here here on that, just scrap that piece of junk safety chain and go buy a stihl non safety chain.  I think they average $16-$22 in my area and my time with a file is worth more than that!

Thank You Sponsors!