iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New toy

Started by WV Sawmiller, December 24, 2015, 11:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Okay, I admit it. I shop at HF for some cheap low tech items. Get my work gloves and such there. Not likely to be buying electrical tools and such but they do have good bargains on some things.

Below are pictures of a 17" wide roller magnet I picked up there yesterday. Not sure how log it will last or really what goes wrong with a magnet (Have to keep it away from my computer for sure). Anyway, for $9.99 I figured it was worth a shot. Has more pick up and holding power than I expected. Will see how it works on hidden treasures in the sawdust pile.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

stay away from metal filings with it, pain right in the kester to clean it.  I find compressed air works well but then you're back to square one.
Boy, back in my day..

WH_Conley

I have had pretty good luck with quite a bit of HF stuff. I got tired of going to the box stores and online and paying big money for cheap Chinese stuff. Might as well pay the cheap price. You just have to remember it is not top shelf stuff.
Bill

Dan_Shade

If you wrap it with a plastic bag,  filings/shavings are easy to get off.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ljohnsaw

A "quality" unit would have an aluminum cover that you could push away from the magnet to make it drop the metal.  You could add something.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 24, 2015, 07:28:32 PM
A "quality" unit would have an aluminum cover that you could push away from the magnet to make it drop the metal.  You could add something.

Yep but could you buy it for under $10? The old saying "You get what you pay for" is very accurate and I accept and do not expect HF stuff to be in the same category as my MW or Sthil equipment. However sometimes cheap is good enough/fit for purpose. I do like the plastic bag idea to help keep it clean.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Firewoodjoe

Yeah I never would have thought of plastic. I have a 1" impact from them and at $150 I can't believe how well it has worked.

4x4American

Quote from: Dan_Shade on December 24, 2015, 07:24:29 PM
If you wrap it with a plastic bag,  filings/shavings are easy to get off.

Good idea!
Boy, back in my day..

dukecrazy

Unless I have gift cards to big box stores I only shop at HF. I've found that everything I've bought thus far has lasted and lasted.  I don't think twice when I buy from them.  Saved me a heck of a lot for sure on my sawmill buying from them, lol. 
G3033 LS tractor w/FEL, multiple chainsaws, and Central machinery sawmill.

Gearbox

Just try not to drop it hard the magnets and glue can be broken .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

hopm

Anybody with feedback on HF battery tools?

dukecrazy

Quote from: hopm on December 27, 2015, 09:21:04 PM
Anybody with feedback on HF battery tools?
That is actually one of the items I haven't purchased from HF...yet. I have plenty of battery powered tools but when the time comes to purchase I'll be visiting HF.
G3033 LS tractor w/FEL, multiple chainsaws, and Central machinery sawmill.

Thank You Sponsors!