iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice for a new saw

Started by ten_mile, December 23, 2015, 07:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ten_mile

Another new member to this board looking for advice.

I have one chainsaw, a Husqvarna 350 purchased at a big box store more than 12 years ago. I've managed to keep it maintained and running these years, but it's now getting to the point where it is ready to be replaced. This is the only saw I've owned so I don't have a lot to compare it too. So I'm coming to you for advice.

I have ~15 acres of lightly managed mixed hardwood forest. I cut 4 to 6 ricks of firewood per year for the wood stove, mostly small or mid-story trees and storm fall. Additional saw work includes cleaning up damaged or fallen trees in inappropriate places. I use an 18 inch bar (but could get by with a 16 inch much of the time) with an H30/95VP low kickback chain. I appreciate the light weight (10.5 pounds, 5 kg) of this saw and don't want to go much heavier.  I'm looking for a saw which is relatively easy to handle and that I can operate safely.

I'm willing to spend more for higher quality and would plan to keep this saw running for many years. Would a small professional saw such as a Husqvarna 543XP or 550XP, or a Stihl 241 or 261 be appropriate? Or would these be too much saw to handle safely for a part-timer?

gspren

My area has a good Stihl dealer so that's what I stay with. I have been using a 261 for personal use for a few years and I really like it but I've heard some good things about the 241 for smaller stuff.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

rburg

If the 350 has met your need in a saw, I would look at the 545 Husky. It would be similar to your 350 in weight and would have more power. It would also save you some money over the 543 and 550.

Gearbox

whats wrong with the 350 ? They will run a long time with just a little tweek on the high speed screw spring and fall . That saw should be good for many chains and at least 3 bars .
Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Texas-Jim

First thing is is there local dealer? Stihl husky both make good saw. Dont forget echo
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

ten_mile

Wow, quick responses. Thanks.

Gearbox: The 350 has been through many, many chains are far more than three bars in its 12 years. It's lost power over the years which means I'm working harder which means I'm not working as safely. So I think it is time to replace. (Plus I'm having trouble getting the carburetor adjusted right :-[).

Texas-Jim: there is a shop ~25 miles away that sells Husqvarna and the farm coop ~40 miles away sells Stihl. I am not averse to buying online as long as parts are readily available also. First I want to pick the right range of saw and specifications; brand choice comes later.

rburg: I feel that the 350 has been at the low end of what I need so more power would be good. Perhaps I'm looking for justification to splurge on a higher-end saw.  :)

gfadvm

Depending on your local service options, I would look hard at Echo's CS-400. It is very lightweight, starts EVERY time, and handles an 18" bar in the hardwoods I cut. Mine is 7 years old, has been used HARD (but maintained), and has been trouble free.

gspren

If you want to justify a pro saw here is my take on it. I only cut firewood for myself and bought an 044 Stihl pro saw 20 years ago, my neighbor said he couldn't justify that much $$ for firewood. That saw still runs great and I always enjoyed using it, cost per year negligible. When my old body wanted a newer, lighter saw I got the 261 Stihl pro saw and I don't feel any need to justify it, I like quality tools, not "good enough" tools. During the last 20 years the neighbor has gone through 3 cheap saws plus always has saw envy when we cut together. Get what you want!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

fordf150

Echo 490, dolmar 421, 510, 5105, stihl 261, husky 545/550 maybe a 555, jonsered 2252/2253 and 2258

those are all light weight 50-60cc saws that will compare fairly well with your current 350 or have a bit more power and all are better built. all are under $600 except the 261. 555/2258 will be close. Echo and dolmar will be the best bang for your buck but the 490 is likely the least powerful of the saws mentioned(in stock form) and the 2258/555 will be the most powerful.

Pine Ridge

Husqvarna 550xp with an 18" bar would do a good job for you.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

ten_mile

Thanks for the comprehensive list, fordf150. I looked up specs, availability and prices for each of the models. The Dolmar 5105 looks tempting but I don't know of any dealers in the area. I did find it online with a 20" bar at a good price. I had missed the Husqvarna 545 / Jonsered 2252. That looks like a nice step up from the Husqvarna 350. But I'm leaning toward the 550 which is two steps up.

I will check a local Husqvarna dealer this weekend to see what they have in stock and their prices for the 550XP and 545. If I don't buy from them, it will probably be the Jonsered 2253 or Husqvarna 550XP purchased online.

rburg

If your local dealer does not have what you want, you can contact ford150 for one of the Jonsered models.

Banjo picker

I would check around and find the saw shop that has the best reputation in the area for service, and buy that brand of saw.  There are some very good saws out there that will cost you less money up front, but eventually you are going to have to have something done to it, then you will need a dealer that knows his stuff.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

caveman

I have a 545 and have run 20 or so tanks of fuel through it but I like it better each time I use it.
Caveman

thecfarm

ten_mile.welcome to the forum.
I had a good dealer,than they got brought out,closed the place, by a bigger place that sells ATV,snowmobiles. I just feel the knowledge about saws is not so good. I found another dealer,but he has some age to him. I hope he's the type that will keep on going.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fordf150

If you have a good dealer nearby...SUPPORT them with your business when possible. By good dealer i am talking one that knows their products and is willing to spend the time to educate you on differences and pro's/con's of each model. do your own research so you can tell if they are just spouting BS. If you dont have a good dealer there are plenty online that will fill the void.

ten_mile

I drove out to the local dealer today. Found out they no longer have weekend hours. (Their online presence said they did, but I should have called first). The only times they are open now is when I'm at work. Looking in the window, I did not see too many saws on hand. So, it will be an online purchase instead. (I'll keep the local shop in mind if I need any repair work beyond my ability.)

I can get the Jonsered 2253 with an 18" bar for $570 including shipping from a business I have used before.

fordf150

you can find a little better deal than that especially if the bar is just a run of the mill oregon/jonsered bar.

Texas-Jim

great advice so far. Only thing i can add is at least in Stihl stay away from 311 and 391. They are good saws but if you really work them they are heavy for the horse power you get. Id lot rather go with 261 or 362,
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

outpost22

Having a Husky 350 as one of my saws, I would suggest that you upgrade to the Stihl 251.  The Husky 350 is an easy to handle saw and I use mine for the odd cutting job.  I usually carry it on my tractor in the boonies.  However, stepping up to larger saws can be more tiring in the handling and carrying department. That's why the Stihl 251 is a nice choice. Light enough to not wear you out but the cutting speed is much faster than the Husky 350.  It's also reasonable on fuel and not super expensive to buy.
Good luck in your selection.

(See my signature for the saws I use.)
Creating one more project one at a time.
Burg Bandsaw Mill
Stihl 010
Stihl 210
Stihl 251
Stihl 461
Husky 350
Kubota L3800

Thank You Sponsors!