iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blue Logs ?

Started by doctorb, December 22, 2015, 05:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

I built a tree house for my kids years ago in a Chinese Chestnut tree.  A few of the limbs died, including ones from which a couple of swings were attached.  Took down those dead limbs and split them up for next years fuel.  Look what I saw!  Somebody please explain this copper sulfate color in these logs.  Note, the hook is still attached to the log in question.

Here's the tree house after the lime trim.

And here are the logs.

Note the still inserted hook.

Somebody must have seen this before and have an explanation.  Somebody here always does!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

Thanks, SD-

I thought it odd that I did not notice the discoloration the day the logs were cut, split and stacked.  Your reference gave me the reason.  The reaction takes moisture to occur.  If I had put those logs inside, the blue staining would not have happened.  Guess what?  It rained last night and earlier this AM. 

I wonder if I cut the log whether this discoloration would appear on the inside, or does it only appear on the cut / split surface of the cut log?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

My thoughts are that it is not necessarily just the moisture because there is plenty of moisture inside the tree/log.  It is a combination of tannic acid and iron oxide plus the moisture being exposed to the atmosphere (oxygen).  I have seen Oak trees felled that had fence wire inside.  There was no blue color for a couple of hours but once it started the spot grew noticeably larger and darker as time passed.

Blue color on a log end as seen above is a sure sign of metal inside.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WmFritz

Quote from: Magicman on December 22, 2015, 07:45:06 PM]
Blue color on a log end as seen above is a sure sign of metal inside.

For some reason, ALL my Walnut logs seem to have this.   ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I've seen mills that paint all their log ends blue. ;)  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I have sent logs to the commercial sawmill that I should have painted.  When they saw the blue they would not even unload them.

Thank You Sponsors!