iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Telescopic boom loader.

Started by customsawyer, December 22, 2015, 05:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

If you're worried about the welding, you could do dot welding, like for cast iron. Do 1/4" to 1/2" weld on each side to hold in place, let it cool down. Do another dot on each side, when cooled etc. You start your dots on the end of previous ones. That's how you weld some types of cast irons. It only affects a tiny surface at a time. Plus, on that side, with the forks acting as levers, you're in a zone of compression. Not traction, so, metal, even embritelled by the welding is in compression, and support this type of load far better.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

longtime lurker

Me, I'd figure out a clamp system that goes across the fork tyne and aroudn the frame and was held by a bolt.... welding those forks is not impossible but its difficult to get a really good weld.

If you feel the urge to weld find someone who is set up to do underwater arc and welding hardened steel aint an issue. Probably be more issue finding someone who does it and knows what they're doing then in doing it.
If you want to do it at home:
Use low hydrogen rods, rather then MIG.
Preheat the weld area first, and let it cool down real slow after welding.

... while you got the welder out. :D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Kbeitz

I like the picture with the clevis pin . I would make up two brackets that looks like
this and slide it over your forks (forks through the hole). Then I would replace the clevis
pin with a large bolt. It would do the same job with no welding on the forks.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dave Shepard

At some point in this game, it will be better to just by the right fork carriage, rather than come with what amounts to a serious compromise. I didn't notice if the machine has a JRB style coupler, our Mustang at work does, and there are many different types of forks available once you start looking at what is available for payloaders. I know that on this machine, you will not want to have that clamp apparatus way out on the tips of the forks. These machines have great lifting capacity, but really start to fail when you ask them to roll back heavy loads out on the forks. We used a machine like this one on a job recently, and you it is no exception.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

There was an incident today.  A weather induced incident.  This thing weighs a bazillion tons.  With all the rain the last two weeks, there was the perfect storm.

It is hard to bottom-out one better than this.  Halfway to China.  I told Jake that she was so buried, that there were Chinese from the other side of the world stealing parts from the under-carriage  :D.

Jake managed to get it unstuck after much ado.  You would not believe how he did it, but I will let him expound on that. 

It has been unbelievably wet down here.  Hot and wet.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

I've heard pushing with the boom can bend a section. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Glad that you did not have to call Raider Bill to bring a dozer to get it out.   :o   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ocklawahaboy

I would have just planted some kudzu or air potato vine around it and waited for it to disappear.  Out of sight/out of mind.

Kbeitz

Let me tell you I know all about getting one stuck and weighing a bazillion tons.
Just not anything will pull one out. Next time I will stay on the pavement.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Nomad

Yup, it was stuck all right.  Glad you got it out, Jake!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

customsawyer

Well the way we got it out was to pull really hard.  :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Obviously the slabs under the front tires did not work.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scsmith42

Danny, I hope that you weren't driving it when it got stuck...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

Oh no.  I was a casual observer  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Up here they just set them on fire, collect the insurance and start over.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

landscraper

Quote from: Satamax on January 02, 2016, 03:50:25 AM
Or buy proper tyres! :D

I bet his tires weren't this bad.

The framers working on one of my jobsites (but not working for me) have a used Terex lift they bought from Sunbelt so they could set lumber up on the 3rd floor etc.

I snapped this photo when I walked by the other day and noticed it.  Now I go to the complete opposite end of the job when they are using it.  I have never....ever...seen one this bad in use.  Through the tread, through the cord, into the inner casing.  The right rear tire is marginally better.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

YellowHammer

Yep, that was a definitely a stuck piece of equipment. Might avoid that particular spot in the future.  I bet the Deere Skidsteer had something to do with getting it out?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

customsawyer

Well first we hook the JD tractor to the front, and then the back. 85 hp tractor would not even shake it, all it would do was spin in the soft mud. So I went and got my Ford pickup with the 16500 pound Warn and hooked that up. Run the cable through a snatch block, spun the truck in reverse to help get a better hold and then anchored the truck to the tractor. Took a little bit to get the proper balance of the boom, as if it was in to far the back just kept sinking and if it was out to far then the front would sink. Once we got that balance figured out she started to pop up out of the mud and come right to us. This is the same trick I used to use to get Dozers and frontend loaders out when doing land clearing.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Kbeitz

Yep... The 16500 will do it...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ScottAR

I would wager that the green lift has foam filled tires...  I understand it is very difficult to remove the wheel rim from those so most just get new rims. Thus they just run the tires to destruction.  I've seen them worn all the way through to the foam. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Satamax

Landscraper and ScottAR, i've never seen anything that bad over here.  That's mad. When i was talking about proper tyres, i mean, some with air in them. So you can deflate a bit to get unstuck a smidge better. And tyres which have more of an agricultural thread, than the ones on that JLD :D Thoses honeycomb tyres haven't reached France yet.

On my machine, i have 18.4-30 tyres water filled! That's in order to stop the tipping.

About foam filled tyres, i've heard that they just cut them, to remove from the rims.

redbeard

Glad you were able too get your rig unstuck. Its Good that you know  where to find some cheap crane mats for driving over soft ground in the future.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ScottAR

Air tires are great till they go flat.  ::)   Seriously, Solid tires are great on a industrial site or scrapyard type environment as they can drive over nearly anything with minimal damage.  They don't do that well in mud as clearly shown in the pics. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on January 01, 2016, 10:12:47 PM
Glad that you did not have to call Raider Bill to bring a dozer to get it out.   :o   :D

I always use someone else's dozer :D ;)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!