iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log loads vs split for firewood

Started by Wrace, October 09, 2004, 10:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrace

Looking at possibly getting a load of "short" logs and cutting them myself. Instead of purchasing already split wood. I recently purchased some remote acreage that has plenty of trees for the cutting. But for this year and maybe next year, I will have to purchase firewood from a supplier in town.

Are there any rule of thumbs in terms of "quantity" with log loads? Of course with split wood you use the measurement system to spec out a "cord" of wood. But it's not clear to me how I tell if I'm actually getting a better deal quantity wise by buying a log load.

Second question has to do with "seasoning" I need this wood to burn this year. There is a guy that has an add in the paper who says you can buy either seasoned or non-seasoned log loads. Can the wood really get dry by leaving it in log form vs splitting it?

Third question has to do with the mess created by cutting the logs in my driveway. I would have the logs set in front of one of the bays of my shop. The driveway in front of the shop is hard packed gravel, and I suspect there would be a heck of mess created during the cutting process. My fear is that with the sawdust and chips mixing in with the gravel it could turn the driveway into a mushy mess?

Wayne

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.

Now is too late to split wood for this year's heat, IMO.

Splitting wood reduces the drying time, but it takes about a year to the inch across the grain to get air dry. Surface dry doesn't do much good.

I would look for some well-seasoned split wood (split a minimum of one year and I prefer three years) for burning this year. Otherwise, you will need to contend with a mess in your chimney. Remember that all the moisture in the wood has to be converted to steam, which takes a lot of energy, that means you only will get heat after this has happened.

You can do as you wish, but hope you will go into it knowing the facts.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

babylogger

hi welcome. if you want alog truck load now, most likely it will be green. it doesnt matter if its log lengths or split seasoned wood lays from 1 year, and your gonna pay more. in nys its a pain to sell anyone split wood from say a pickup because of the stupid tax laws 4x4x8 has to be there so no one does it unless thats exactly what they can deliver! i cant remember how mant ESTIMATED FULL cords are on a load geeze im drawing a blank!! sorry. i know my dad burns a face cord to a full cord a week in the outdoor furnace. i also know we cut 60 FULL cords and ran out in february! hes only got 4 loads at home now so they are gonna be in deep !!! ok sorry between 6-10 full cords depending on the truck, normally 500.00 it just took me a while lol plus had to ask hubby. this prob dont help you a bit does it??? lol
love logger

Thank You Sponsors!