iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 550XP?

Started by b_macneil254, December 22, 2015, 04:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b_macneil254

Hello folks,

I was thinking on getting a small saw. I my 254xp after  finally died (after ~1200 cords) which is no shame. I was using my friends 346xp today and I must say,  I was down right blown away by the light weight, speed and power. I know the 346xp is no longer on the husky product line but is the 550xp equally as good?

If i was to purchase the 550XP I would only use it for cutting soft wood, clearing ATV trails etc. I still have my 372XP (one of the best saws ever made IMO)  for the bigger wood.

Happy Holidays to all!
Bernard

SawTroll

Not much difference in practical use of the 550 vs the 346, even though they are very different designs. If there is a performance difference, it seems to favor the 550 stock, and no doubt the 346 ported.  :)

You can't loose, choosing from those two models.
Information collector.

49er

I sold my 2153=346 after I got my 2253=550. The 2253 was ported by tlandrum. Both are great saws, I would take which ever one came along first.

Every once in awhile my 2253 would hesitate off idle. I drilled a hole in the welch plug and turned the screw under it about 1/8th. I ran a tank through it yesterday and it was perfect. This screw is suppose to be like a low side adjustment.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

Pine Ridge

I have a 550xp, good power, lightweight and easy handling. Very good 50cc saw in my opinion.Don't think you would be disappointed with one.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

stumpjumper83

Just added a 550xp to the fleet after I finally had enough of my stihl 250's carb problems...  All I can say is  8)

I've been using it on the landing bucking up red pine, but its going to be my pole wood felling saw, firewood, and behind the seat of the dozer saw. 

Right now I've got a powersharp bar and chain on it and in two days of bucking on the landing its still sharp and the felling saw has been sharpened twice - jred 2165.  Let me get a couple more tanks thru it and I'll know if I still like the powersharp chain.  At the moment I'm hesitant cause it is hard to bore with.

williaty

Our 550XPG came in this week and I've test run it just a little bit. I'm not as impressed with it as I was with the 562XPG but I think that might be being unfair to the 550 since I'm used to the 562 and it's quite a bit more powerful saw. The 550 was ssssssssuuuuuper rich on first startup, as in blowing clouds of smoke, but the first cut through a 18" maple log caused the AutoTune to lean it out and by the 5th cut it had dialed itself in well enough that there wasn't any exhaust smell from it anymore.

snowshoveler

Once you get 8 or 10 tanks of gas run thru that 550 you will be smiling.
Keep it in the big wood once in a while.
I find myself cutting more wood with the 550 than the 562 because I can work longer without playing myself out.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Thank You Sponsors!