iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40HD hydraulics quit start quit

Started by Lacplesis, December 21, 2015, 06:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lacplesis

LT40HD hydraulics quit start quit Had been sawing, shut off LT40HD, changed blade, restarted engine, no up-down or back forth on carriage, no hydraulics. I buffed up the contact rail as that had been a problem in the past. Still no go. Opened up the box with the hyd. valves for a visual then just tried a restart and everything worked until I shut the engine down again. Again no up-down, back-forth, or hydraulics. What are the usual next things to look at?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Battery? There is a ground under the i-beam also.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

The under rail ground has nothing to do with the up/down.  Start with the battery ground and both of your battery connections and work from there.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I don't know what year your machine is, but on my '08, there is a solenoid in the control box that gets voltage from the key switch. If understand it correctly, this solenoid energizes the hydraulic solenoid, as well as some of the functions on the head. Mine has a 4 amp ATC fuse, and if that blows, not much happens. If your mill is the correct vintage, you will hear that solenoid close in the control box when you turn the key on. You might open the front of the panel to hear it better. Also check for that 4 amp fuse, which will be in the wires behind the key switch.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

This is one good reason to list your sawmill in your profile.  It helps to know such detail when trying to answer questions.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MartyParsons

Hello,
Two different circuits. One fuse ( depending on the year top and bottom) goes to the hydraulic pump. The other fuse runs everything else.
Check battery voltage, simple things. like alternator belt and connections.
It would be great if we knew at least what engine you are running. Command control mills are set up a little different.

Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Lacplesis

I'll check out the battery connects in the am. The Mill Model is LT40HDG28. A Kohler 28hp, mfg in 2006.

Brucer

That's identical to my mill. The only times I've lost both my hydraulic power and the power to the motors on the head is when I had a battery die. That's happened to me twice.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Lacplesis

So the battery can have enough juice to start up the engine, but not power the rest?

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4x4American

Weird, the other day on a sawjob, my loader arms wouldn't go down.  The other hydraulics worked fine.  I shut off mill and restarted it and everything worked fine.  I remember reading something about this somewhere on here but can't seem to remember what the trick was.  Can anybody chime in?
Boy, back in my day..

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

4x4American

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on December 22, 2015, 10:17:27 AM
You're a little young for old-timer's disease ain'tcha? ;)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,87323.0.html

Just wait til you get to be my age!!!  lol lol

Thanks Paul
Boy, back in my day..

Lacplesis

Need to go to town today so I pulled battery. Put it on tester there. With load, no voltage drop. Home, opened the fuse box, checked connections, copper brushed one, all clean, sung them up. Read that corrosion on the ground to the bottom rail can be an issue. It was kind of  rough. Emory cloth. Cleaned the battery terminals reinstalled it. Started up, tried everything, no go still. Pushed the carriage head back and forth a couple of times and viola! Ran it, moved everything around, and shut it down several times and all seems cool. Maybe I can saw again.

Thank You Sponsors!