iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

work bench

Started by sandsawmill14, December 21, 2015, 08:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandsawmill14

what would you all consider the best size for a work bench and what kind of clamps and where do you find them? i have done a lot of carpentry but nothing i consider woodworking. i was considering 3' x 10' with a laminate top out of 2x4 spf because i dont have enough dry oak to build it.  so questions are (1) size? (2) clamps? (3) is the softwood ok or do i need to wait and dry oak before i build it? i only have a 12 in planer so will have to glue it in sections. is a hand held electric planer worth anything for flattening a large area or just  good for beams or odd shapes you cant get through the planer ???
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

LittleJohn

I think the size of the work bench is all dependant on the size of projects that you will be working.
...I have always liked a work bench that is longer than 8' and about 30" wide, so I can rip sheets of plywood easier.

Also I have been pretty lucky making countertops in the butcher block style (biscuits and screws), then finish then "flat" with a belt sander.  Also my dad has a 54" sander, in case I really mess it up, so you might want to check around with local wood shoppers, or other wood workers and see what they have for toys (you may be able to borrow some time from)

sandsawmill14

i would love to have a big sander like that :)

CHARLIE

I built mine 9 feet long and 2 feet deep out of construction spruce.  I made the top out of 2" X 10" spruce boards and have a 2 inch overhang in the front for clamping.  I tacked a 1/4" inch thick piece of Masonite on it.  When that gets messed up, I'll just tack on a new piece of Masonite.

I create a lot of wood dust in my shop and so instead of just shelving,  I put in 14 drawers and a small cabinet.  It has worked well for me. 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

beenthere

I have three different styles.
My first was buying a 40' strip of laminated oak truck flooring from a local manufacturer that was 18" in width and 1 3/8" thick (made by gluing up oak strips that were 1 3/8" wide and 1" thick and random lengths).
This laminate was cut into two 13' lengths, and 6" taken off one edge for a splash board for a workbench with 30" wide and 13' long.

My second bench was built on three towers from a sewing store with deep drawers. Used 3/4" marine plywood 5' x 10' to make a top for the towers that is 10' long by 28" wide. Added a leftover strip to the leading edge to look like a laminated top 2ΒΌ" thick.

My 3rd style were four individual benches (I have four children  ;) ) with SPF studs and birch plywood tops. Each was 5' long and about 30" wide. They roll around or lock together with one 20' 2x4 clamped as a fence. Will look for my pics.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scgargoyle

I've made a number of quick 'n dirty work benches with tapered plywood legs (with a 2X4 glued inside each corner), 2X4 frame top and lower shelf, and a cheap solid core door for a top. Of course, with a standard door it comes out 6' 8" long, a handy size for a smaller shop, or where multiple benches are desired. I had a 2000 lb. plastic injection mold on one of these, and it didn't budge.

Each leg is two pieces of plywood, 8" wide at the top, 4" wide at the bottom, and as I said, assembled with a 2X4 glued on the inside corner. I also glue the top and mid frame in addition to screws. These benches don't wobble at all. You can use any cheap plywood you have laying around; the key is the glue to make a rigid bench that stays rigid.

Since I do a lot of mechanical and machining work, I like to put a sacrificial layer of Masonite on top.

I recently saw a bench where the guy drilled a hole in the bottom of each leg and pressed a long coupling nut into the hole, and screwed bolts into them so the bench could be leveled easily.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

LittleJohn

Quote from: scgargoyle on December 22, 2015, 07:00:16 AM...I recently saw a bench where the guy drilled a hole in the bottom of each leg and pressed a long coupling nut into the hole, and screwed bolts into them so the bench could be leveled easily.

You could also put some vibration mounts to help with movement

beenthere

sandsaw...
Found some pics of the individual benches I made that go at one end of my garage. Each is a bit different style, three with drawers, all four with a cabinet opening doors on right side, and one with my planer mounted on a slide-out drawer so it can be used without lifting it.
The frame

The four as a set

And with some drawers and doors in the process.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandsawmill14

thanks for the pics beenthere   those are nice as my cabinets :o

LittleJohn

Also, nothing wrong with a BIG O' SLAB, for a work bench  ;)

Just remember to watch toes when placing in final position

kensfarm

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on December 22, 2015, 03:14:43 PM
thanks for the pics beenthere   those are nice as my cabinets :o

Those are nicer then my kitchen cabinets.. would be easier if everything in the kitchen was on wheels like a shop. 

tnsnakebite

Hey, great job beenthere. I am saving this and studying your use of 2x4's and the joinery. Looks like you have it figured out for sure.
2006 TimberKing 1220 20 H.P. Kohler. Trailer kit and 2 extensions. Purchase date 10-2015. Price-$3,300
J.D. 1070 w/loader

sandsawmill14

finally got around to going to lumberyard to pick up some 2x4s for my workbench and looking at them i decided i had twisted and crooked 2x4s at home so i went home and started planing blue stain worm holes and all ;D

as you can see i havent trimmed the ends yet but it will be about 2' wide and 12' long. i used a router and sled to flatten it out and was amazed at how good it worked and how quickly i was able to do it with a 3/4" straight bit :)  now i just have to figure out how i want to do my clamps

lowpolyjoe

I completely agree - the 2x's at home depot are just a mess. 

Router sled really does a good job.

I'm almost done with my first project using my new workbench (https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,85602.0.html).  I think the bench is around 25" wide and 6' long.  After spending some time with it, I do wish it was a little bigger because I find I clutter it up quickly with tools while I'm working... probably just because I'm a messy worker.  I planned on a larger one but then I measured my work area and it just wouldn't fit.    I also think, if I built another bench, I would include a good size well in the middle for holding tools.  I have a tiny slot in the middle that isn't quite big enough to hold anything but sawdust.  Eventually it should be filled by a piece of wood that can be pulled up for use a plane stop.

Looking forward to more pics

Thank You Sponsors!