iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 066

Started by slanted6, December 18, 2015, 11:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slanted6

While using my dad's 066 it just quit running. Checked fuel, ok. Has spark. Removed air cleaner and poured a little bit of fuel into carb, nothing. What should my next step be?

ZeroJunk

If it has fuel , spark, and still won't fire it may have lost compression. Pull the muffler and take a look at the piston, or if you have a compression gauge that will check compression of a small displacement engine you can test it that way. If the piston has vertical scarring on it most of the time that is from running too lean or bad mix. What it does is melt the piston and seize the rings.

Hopefully it will be something simpler than that, but rule it out.

beenthere

I would have removed the spark plug, put a few drops of fuel in the cylinder and the plug back in, then see if it will start.

Just pouring fuel in the carb may not have reached the cylinder to ignite.

And Dad's gonna say " ran fine when I last had it"  (old saying).  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Grandedog

Howdy,
   I hate to be a spark plug mechanic but, if you feel like nothing else has changed, give it a try. I've seen them spark out of the cylinder but, not fire the saw. Here's to hoping you didn't lose compression.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

OldJack

Gregg's right. I have an old Champion spark plug tester and I've seen lots of plugs fail when I run the pressure up. If you can't get a new plug immediately, scrape out the carbon, file the center electrode flat so it's got a square corner and gap to 0.020".  Do not wire brush it. 

slanted6

:)  Thanks to all who replied.  Replaced spark plug and fuel filter. In the process of changing the fuel filter also had to replace fuel line in the tank.  Attempted to start and it "hit". Made adjustments to carb according to manual and with a little more adjusting IT RUNS!!!  Again, THANKS!!! :)  :)  :)

Thank You Sponsors!