iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

smoking out the front

Started by yukon cornelius, December 16, 2015, 10:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

Quote from: Just Me on December 22, 2015, 10:30:18 AM
Quote from: Left Coast Chris on December 21, 2015, 07:23:55 PM

A dust collector system (on or off) can draw air and compete with the stove flue also. 
at our first house we had an attic fan. One time something burnt on the stove so I turned it on and drew wood stove smoke all through the house.

I have a ten hp dust collector. I thought I would put in a wood stove to burn up scrap. Yeah, first time I turned on the dust dcollector it was sucking the flame right out the front of the stove. Scratch that.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

yukon cornelius

I did a bit of work on the big stove today. I had all the materials in the junk pile so the cost was zero. I moved the load door up a bit to accommodate a second door on the bottom for ash removal. I added a steel plate that extends to the back of the stove and a heavy grate in the front.I feel this is going to be a bit safer. The previous air intake allowed sparks and coals to come out on occasion. Now, what is a good gasket for these doors?

yukon cornelius

beenthere

I don't see it smoking...  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

yukon cornelius

Yep! I think it's fixed. I would really like to gasket the door though. I'm looking around for the right gasket and adhesive.

Just Me

All the farm stores up here stock asbestos rope kits.

thecfarm

I work in a hardware-feed store and we sell the rope. Stove shops sell it too.But kinda looks like you could go with the flat stuff. Take a picture of the door,back side and what it will close against and bring that with you. Man,I like customers that takes pictures!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

yukon cornelius

I will get a pic when I get to the shop later. The flat sounds like to would be best. What is a good adhesive?

petefrom bearswamp

Glad your prob is solved.
My drum stove in my 32x64 shop gets very little use now that i am a snow bird.
it is one 55 gal drum lined halfway with firebrick and has been in for nearly 22 years.
I too have started my dust system without opening a door for air and got smoked out.
I am a slow learner and did this more than once.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ox

Years ago I had the exact same Vogelzang door on a barrel stove and gasketed the door with the flat rope (get the thinnest you can find) and used "stove gasket cement" in a small squeeze type tube.  It seemed to be the gray stove cement like stuff that comes in a small plastic tub.  Usually they were sold pretty much side by side on the shelf.  I ended up having to drill holes through the gasket and door frame and running self tapping fine threaded screws with flat washers to help hold the gasket on.  The screws would squish down into the gasket and not cause interference between the gasket and the door.  Also used cement under the rope.  It worked well.  Just using the cement didn't work so well because there wasn't a channel for the gasket to recess into.  The gasket would fall off from the cement drying out too much and losing its adhesion.  Hopefully this helps you, even if only in the smallest way.   :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

thecfarm

Ox said what I was going to say.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ox

They say great minds think alike!  Wait...........what?  I think I just insulted you by saying my mind is similar to yours....  Sorry about that.  :D ;)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

yukon cornelius

The rain finally passed so our internet will work enough for this pic.

beenthere

There is a rope for laying in that channel on the door.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

yukon cornelius

Quote from: beenthere on December 29, 2015, 05:58:41 PM
There is a rope for laying in that channel on the door.
thanks I will see what I can get for it.

Gearbox

On my OWB I use hi temp silicon to hold the rope . I have used silicon and put a bead around then put saran wrap over it and closed the door and let it set up then burn the wrap off . done it on tool boxes to waterproof them to .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Ivan49

I also used silcone but don't do as I did the first time. I layed a bead all the way around the door and put the rope in it. When I had to replace it may not so nice words were said. On the new one I put a short strip of silcone every few inches and then put the rope into it

Al_Smith

FWIW sodium silicate paste, often used in muffler shops will hold the door gasketing in place .You can buy the stuff at about any place that sells auto parts ,Advance Auto, Orieleys ,Pep Boys ,etc.

Gearbox

Ivan I have done mine twice and the silcone just comes off with the old rope , I do ues high temp red .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Thank You Sponsors!