iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdust use

Started by starmac, December 16, 2015, 09:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

I was talking to one of the older hands at the sawmill today.
I see them loading the sawdust pretty regular, and ask him where they took it.
He told me they hauled much of it to the sewage treatment plant.
What does the sewage treatment plant use sawdust for??
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

CaptainBob

looks like they add sawdust to feed the BIOSolid composting process :

https://www.uaf.edu/files/ces/newsletters/mastergardeners/MGU00/MGU06_00.pdf

Golden Heart Utilities' wastewater treatment plant located at the river end
of Peger Road, has Class A composted sludge available as a soil amendment.
Sludge, also called biosolids, is a by-product of municipal wastewater
treatment. It includes materials separated from the wastewater stream
and microbial matter produced from wastewater treatment. It is a good
source of plant nutrients and organic matter. Two types of biosolids are
available in the nation. Class A biosolids have been treated to be free of
disease-causing organisms. That is the type we have in Fairbanks.

starmac

Now you have my curiousity up, do they sell the composted sludge to the public??

kensfarm

They do here in MD.. but I believe no human food can be grown on the field for a timeframe after.   

SLawyer Dave

When ripping logs, I gather up all of the saw dust / strings and store in 55 gallon drums.  Then throughout the year, I put it in as bedding/nesting material for my chickens.  Works really well and helps control smells too.

CaptainBob

Yes, it is sold .  $20.00 per standard pickup truck load.  $10.00 per cubic yard for large quantities.

This is Class A biosolids - they mix the wastewater with sawdust and pump it with air to get the thermic process to kill any pathogens, e.g., virus or diseases.
Use it straight to the garden.  The fertilizer effect is best during the first year, but a garden guru knows that it is the residual Trace minerals that add to your gardens output for 3-5 years.  This is something you can add anytime of the year and benefit your lawn or garden.

http://www.akwater.com/pdf/CompostHandoutRevised%2005-19-2015.pdf

http://www.akwater.com/compost.shtml

starmac

That is WAAAAAAY cheaper than what I have been paying the last few years for somewhat sorry garden mix.

I lived in a small town a few miles out of Houston Texas for several years. They averaged around 300 arrests a year breaking into the sewage plant.
I never thought about it, but have seen some super tomato plants growing around septic systems, it turned out, that many folks flushed marijuana seeds, and the stuff grew like wildfire at the sewage treatment plant. lol

Ron Wenrich

There was a logger who used to supply loads of whole tree chips to the Philly treatment plants.  It was used in a similar process, but the chips lasted a longer time with the process they were using.  Sawdust seems like it would be cheaper, but it breaks down quicker.  Pellet mills are also causing a lot of competition.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ox

Whatever you do, don't put fresh, non composted sawdust on your garden.  It uses nitrogen to break down, sucking it out of your soil that your garden plants need to thrive.  I use my sawdust for animal bedding and to "soak" up wet spots on the lawn from an old, broken down septic system.  My bedrock is around a foot and a half down, on top of the mountain where it's flat all around.  Drainage?  What's that?  :-\
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

SLawyer Dave

Ox, I just have to say, I LOVE YOUR SIGN.  That is just too classic.

mesquite buckeye

Fresh sawdust is fine for gardens as long as you add extra fertilizer to compensate for the extra organic matter that will get decomposed. After that you get a pretty good slow release as it decomposes.

I put 2" of fresh sawdust on my garden this year and worked it in with a bag of ammonium sulfate. Followed up with one feeder of miracle gro every month after. Seems to not be a problem. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Sorry they look a little frozen. Low in the 20's last night. They will perk up and look fine an hour after the sun hits them. We are eating fresh lettuce, broccoli, kale brussels sprouts and collards most every day now.  ;D Waiting for the carrots and peas.  :(

I have worried a bit about all the walnut sawdust causing problems in my garden, but so far no problem. Either the juglone is getting decomposed fast enough to not be a problem or my plants are unaffected.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

rjwoelk

Great product to use in the outhouse, do your deposit, sprinkle saw dust or chips till covered, no smell, same goes for inside toilet. I have given a couple of bags to a fellow that does this, then he composts it and puts it on his garden. Once it heats up it kills everything that could be a problem.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

beenthere

Quotesame goes for inside toilet.

You use the sawdust on the inside toilet as well?     ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishfighter

Quote from: beenthere on December 17, 2015, 12:43:40 PM
Quotesame goes for inside toilet.

You use the sawdust on the inside toilet as well?     ???

Well, that has to be a bit rough on the backside. :D

woodmills1

Merrimack NH uses chips and sawdust to make world class non food compost sold all over the world, from their sewage treatment plant.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

kensfarm

Buckeye that garden looks nice green and leafy..  no squash? 

rjwoelk

Yup inside bify as well. For a good lol check out the lovable lue.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Ox

Quote from: SLawyer Dave on December 17, 2015, 09:45:36 AM
Ox, I just have to say, I LOVE YOUR SIGN.  That is just too classic.

:D  I have a feeling if we ever met in person we'd get along fabulously!   ;D
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Knute

Makes good kitty litter.

SLawyer Dave

Quote from: Ox on December 18, 2015, 10:38:20 AM

:D  I have a feeling if we ever met in person we'd get along fabulously!   ;D

The only problem would be that with your accent, I would never be able to understand what you were saying.   :D

Ox

Ha!  I've often been asked where I'm from, from people locally I've never met before.  Apparently they think I'm from a southern state somewhere.  Beats me.  I guess I've picked up the local farmer twang over the years.  If we can't understand each other I guess we'd have to use sign language.  A cold beer in an extended hand is pretty universal, no?  ;)

fishfighter

Quote from: Ox on December 19, 2015, 09:49:29 AM
  If we can't understand each other I guess we'd have to use sign language.  A cold beer in an extended hand is pretty universal, no?  ;)

Had always worked for me. Maybe it's just a southern gentlemen's  thing, but in my family, it had always worked. A handshake has always been our word. A cold one, well that always is after the fact. ;D

Cazzhrdwd

I use mine for cattle bedding, best I've ever used. It keeps the cows and barn clean and dry. I dump it in a side window and the cows spread it out.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: kensfarm on December 17, 2015, 08:22:12 PM
Buckeye that garden looks nice green and leafy..  no squash?

It would be dead from the freezes. :( ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thechknhwk

I was thinking brick or briquette press.

reswire

I have friends who own horses.  They claim that bandsaw dust is too fine to be around horses and livestock, they claim it is too easily inhaled. They use large chip shavings from circular mills.  Anyone use bandsaw dust around horses?? 
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

reswire

I suppose I could use it around my goats and grits.... :D
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

4x4American

I just glue my bandsawdust together and try to sell it as circle sawn sawdust lol
hasn't worked yet!
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Quote from: reswire on December 21, 2015, 08:43:53 PM
I have friends who own horses.  They claim that bandsaw dust is too fine to be around horses and livestock, they claim it is too easily inhaled. They use large chip shavings from circular mills.  Anyone use bandsaw dust around horses?? 

I trade it to horse farmers all the time. Farmers with cows too. all for Poo.
I put the poo all over my place and I get a lot of clover from the poo. My Bees love it and so do the deer.
And good for the green house.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

Quote from: reswire on December 21, 2015, 08:43:53 PM

Used as bedding for dairy cattle, it can cause a lot of problems.

Bandsaw sawdust is to fine for cattle bedding, because it will many times get into the teat opening and cause infection and lead to mastitis, which means a sick cow and lost milk $.

Sawdust from a circular sawmill doesn't seem to cause problems because it is a lot more coarse than sawdust from bandsaws.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

taylorsmissbeehaven

I use sawdust in my goat barn all the time. A little straw on top keeps the dust down and makes good bedding while the sawdust underneath absorbs wetness. Works well for me.
Great green house P.D.!! I have a large pile now that I will try putting on my garden if it ever dries up around here. Rain again! Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

just_sawing

For years I transported my dust to my neighbor. I spread it out in his pasture in a circle about thirty foot wide and a foot deep. He placed a Hay ring in the middle and hayed all winter. The next summer we collected the mix back and placed it in a pile. One year later it was black gold. The cattle would sleep on it since there was a thermal break down and it was warmer than the ground.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

samandothers

I give some to my neighbor that runs a garage.  It works as a absorbing material for oil or stuff that gets on his floors. 

Chuck White

If you have a place to dry the sawdust, it is also usable in a sawdust stove!

Google sawdust stove for info!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!