iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

366 chevy industrial

Started by Hillbilly_89, December 15, 2015, 08:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hillbilly_89

Hey.. I got a c70 with a 366 chevy industrial in it.. what can I swap this motor out with also where can I purchase rebuilt motors I've looked I've fount rebuild kits but I'm interested inlearning about this motor

Thanks I'm advanced

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Click your forum name, and you will go to where you can update your profile with your location. It will help answering your questions.. and if you read others' posts, am sure you like knowing where the poster is located. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

snowstorm

427 truck motor should be the same and for a few yrs there was a 454

Gearbox

366 - 396 - 427 - 454 . you should be able to find a 454 out of a class A motor home cheap and low miles too . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

starmac

Not all 454's and no 396's that I know of are the same as the 366 and 427 truck motors, car 427's are different animals too. The 366 and 427 industrial motors have iirc taller decks, the accessory holes are bigger, they have a much heavier cooling system too. I think they did make some industrial 454's that may be direct swaps.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

redprospector

Just my opinion, but I think you'd probably be better off keeping the 366 if possible. Otherwise the 427 industrial would be my only other choice.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Don_Papenburg

Jasper has good rebuilt motors .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

red

School busses have tall deck 366
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

coxy

stay with 366 the 427s my dad ran in trucks did not like high rpm and would eat valves like crazy the 366 imop was a better motor

Hillbilly_89

Thanks for the info I was more less weighing options.. I thank each and everyone of you

reride82

Quote from: starmac on December 15, 2015, 11:21:41 PM
Not all 454's and no 396's that I know of are the same as the 366 and 427 truck motors, car 427's are different animals too. The 366 and 427 industrial motors have iirc taller decks, the accessory holes are bigger, they have a much heavier cooling system too. I think they did make some industrial 454's that may be direct swaps.

This is what I remember about them too. What issues are you having with the 366? It's a great truck motor, but maybe upgrade the carb. My dad a still has a few on the farm, and they run awesome with an edelbrock on them. If the motor is shot, I'd look into a rebuild before a swap.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

dustyhat

I run the 427 , just my opinion, but i wont go back to a 366 .just seamed weaker to me . are you sure its a 366, most c70s had the 427.

dustyhat

Not sure i can say this, but you can go to( rock auto . com ) they have new heads and such, they might even have new short blocks.

Hillbilly_89

Quote from: reride82 on December 16, 2015, 05:19:56 PM
Quote from: starmac on December 15, 2015, 11:21:41 PM

This is what I remember about them too. What issues are you having with the 366? It's a great truck motor, but maybe upgrade the carb. My dad a still has a few on the farm, and they run awesome with an edelbrock on them. If the motor is shot, I'd look into a rebuild before a swap.

Levi
the truck I'm getting has been sitting for a few years I pulled it out the bushes were going to try and crank it this weekend or next today would of been a good day since it rained.. it can haul a 27ft log on it and has hauled 17 tons before but they parked it my father used to run the truck.. but I'm weighing my options as to if I should buy

Hillbilly_89

Quote from: dustyhat on December 16, 2015, 07:06:34 PM
Not sure i can say this, but you can go to( rock auto . com ) they have new heads and such, they might even have new short blocks.

Thanks for the info

sawguy21

17  tons on a single axle ??? YIKES. I think I would leave it where it is if abused like that.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ely

I have seen those 366 engines run on irrigation wells hooked up to natural gas, running wide open for days on end. at night the headers would glow....I know for a fact a 454 will come apart if you try that.

timberlinetree

I think the 366 that we drove had a turbo? The cluch sounded like it was slipping( truck sounded like it was reving to high sometime while driving) but the mechanic said it's the turbo?  It was a good truck.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

snowstorm

Quote from: timberlinetree on December 19, 2015, 07:04:07 AM
I think the 366 that we drove had a turbo? The cluch sounded like it was slipping( truck sounded like it was reving to high sometime while driving) but the mechanic said it's the turbo?  It was a good truck.
a 366 gas gm motor with a turbo ?? must have been one of a kind

starmac

366 is not a high revving motor, I don't see anyone installing a turbo on one. The massive fan they have on them does, or can make a lot of noise. Also the gearing in many of the trucks they were installed in, keeps the motor revved to where it sounds like it is over revved.
It is easy enough to tell when the clutch is slipping, especially in a higher gear.

Hillbilly_89

Lol I hear ya .. but it's not a single axle truck it'll haul a 27ft log.. I'll see about getting some pictures and up loading them.. we are playing the "price game" right now... I have to find a transmission for it.. the way I buy stuff is I find what the motor costs to rebuild the transmission and brakes tires etc.etc.. to many times have I seen folks go out on a limb hoping stuff holds up.. I don't do that I just add all that in and if I can't fix the whole truck/equipment on the spot.. then I don't play

starmac

Just my opinion, but unless that old C70 is for some reason equipped like you need it, I would watch for an older tamden diesel rig. There is not a huge market for them and I run across them running and able to pass dot inspection fairly regularly for not much more than a good reman 366 is likely to cost.

Thank You Sponsors!