iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cherry Mantel

Started by scleigh, December 14, 2015, 09:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scleigh

I've got a customer that wants a cherry mantel, 4" thick x 10" wide. The mantel will be air dried, then later kiln dried. If I center the pith, will the mantel dry correctly? Would I be better to leave pith out completely?

Got started sawing cherry Saturday

Magicman

You will have to look at the log because all of the Cherry that I have sawn has had heart check which has to be avoided.  When you set the log up be certain the the heart check is the same distance from the sawmill bed on each end of the log.

I would try to saw parallel to the heart check, either above or below it.

Notice the heart check in the above log and below in the cant from that log.

Since this cant is 12" wide, there is easily two 4"X10" mantels in it.  One above and one below the heart check.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scleigh

Thanks for the visual Magicman. Most of my cherry logs are smaller than that and I'll have no problem selecting one in the 10" range.
There are signs of what I would consider normal checking, but i have sealed the ends with anchorseal after bucking logs to length.

rasman57

That Cherry you cut is sure easy on the eyes.  Old saying.         Good stuff!

WDH

I would definitely not include the pith in a cherry mantle.  Cherry is the worst wood for pith cracking that I have ever dealt with.  A 4" thick piece with the pith will even be worse. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

Or cut a live edge and just let it crack and open, plane it flat and fill the cracks. Out here we call it character and people pay $$$ for it.
;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

derhntr

I left the pith in one I did with live edges over 5 inches thick. It split on the pith. One of these days when I figure out the photos I will post a picture of it.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

samandothers

MM so very little sap wood in you first picture!  Nice!

Magicman

Even less sapwood in the second log and both of them were 31" butt logs.  This entire job was ~3Mbf and was for wall paneling.

This is a different Cherry job, which also included a mantel and some timbers seen on the left.  The majority was 1X12's for wall paneling in a hunting camp/lodge.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

derhntr

What happens when you leave pith in Cherry Mantle Hmm no photo:(

samandothers

Wow! Nice lumber MM! 

The pith check in the mantel picture is a bummer!

Farmerjw

Router deep butterfly cuts and repair with walnut butterflies.  Could be a pretty contrast.  Anything abnormal and repaired sometimes comes out better than if it just behaved properly.
Premier Bovine Scatologist

beenthere

I have a cherry mantel that has a pith crack, and because of where a mantel sits, it can be positioned strategically where no one really can see it.
Frontal view

End view shows crack from pith

Top view  open crack shows on top if standing on the hearth

Underneath view... open crack there too

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

derhntr, as beenthere showed, with the correct treatment, that mantel is usable. 

Cherry pith check will almost always be horizontal when either the hump or horns are up.  :P

WDH

In our spiraling, fence-row cherry, the horns becomes humps and the humps become horns the further up the stem you go  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scleigh

Thanks for the pics and the advice.
I think the crack or split from the heart check adds character, more rustic.
But, since i'm sawing this for someone else, I'll leave the pith out.
I bought the logs from a logger and the trees are forest not plantation, but there are some with humps and horns. Like magicman, I prefer to saw horns up, making 5/4 boards.

derhntr

The crack in the mantel I sawed would be fine for my own use however I already have my mantel. The crack real hurts is sale-ability. 

Tom the Sawyer

I had a client who moved into a new home and decided he needed a mantle, but we had milled his cherry log quite some time before - nothing thick enough for a solid mantle.

He still got a cherry mantle:

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Glenn1

I realize this is changing the subject a bit but I wonder if walnut would crack as easily as the cherry?  I am cutting 8/4 and 12/4 and was planning on centering the pith on one of the cuts. 
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Darrel

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on December 17, 2015, 05:38:37 PM
I had a client who moved into a new home and decided he needed a mantle, but we had milled his cherry log quite some time before - nothing thick enough for a solid mantle.

He still got a cherry mantle:

Looking good, someone sure did a nice job hiding the joints.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

kensfarm

]

Not a mantle but.. a piece I had cut w/ my chainsaw mill long ago.. my back didn't hurt as much back then either.  It looked like a red brick before I sanded/varnished it..  I was happily surprised. 

WDH

No.  Walnut behaves nicely.

Glenn1

Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

scleigh

Those are really nice mantels that you guys posted. Hopefully I will get this customers order sawed Saturday and I'll get a few pics to share.

Thank You Sponsors!