iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood logs on the stump

Started by woodsmoke48, December 13, 2015, 08:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsmoke48

There is still an abundance of standing dead ash around here in this part of lower Michigan.  Does anyone know what is the market rate per cord for standing dead ash for firewood?  Thanks.

woodmills1

Here it is 10 to 15 a cord standing.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Oldman47

No way will I let someone on my land to harvest my ash for $15 a cord. Even with my approximately 1000 ash trees that are going to die soon I don't need the aggravation of folks tromping around on my wood lot.
X27, Stihl 026, Husky 555 AT

starmac

Curious, but what is the alternative, just lots of dead trees?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

OH logger

the other unfortunate alternative is letting them go and stand dead then they start toppling over and hitting (scarring) up other more valuable trees. is done correctly they can be taken out without trashin the woods
john

r.man

Some dead trees are normal.  Many dead trees are dangerous. Do anybody walk around your bush?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

starmac

Ok guys correct me if I am wrong here. I guess it would depend a lot on the size of the woodloy, but with a thousand dead trees, would,t the danger just keep rising until the majority fell over, even then, many would probably be hung up and still a danger to anyone that tried to fell, skid or anything. I would think at some point it would get to the point that it would be unsafe to work the property at all.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Oldman47

My alternative is to remove the dead ash as and when I decide to. Meanwhile the ones that fall on their own can rot in place. The rotting wood returns nutrients to the soil that the oaks and walnuts can use.
X27, Stihl 026, Husky 555 AT

Al_Smith

It takes them a while before they tip .It's not like it's going to go down like a house of cards in a week or so .

Fact in last several weeks I felled what was left of a 100 footer .The wind had taken the top 50 but that was due to rot that had already set in from a broken fork about 50 feet up before the EAB hit .It had died on the vine about 6 years ago .50-60 MPH straight lines took the top .

A cord an a half of firewood and 1000 board foot of clear saw log .Still had most of the bark left .

tyb525

Looks like most of the ash around here has died in the last year or two. Most of it still in good shape with bark on.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ivan49

Most in my area are stilling standing also. I took a lot of them down last year but have many more to go. A word of caution is to watch dead limbs up in the tree. A couple guys around here kissed the ground while cutting from limbs breaking off.

Thank You Sponsors!