Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

6x6, Two 2X6 and some one by.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Nice Day to build a Bench. Maybe Spring is finally arrived!
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Urethane,stain or Shellac. I can never decide. This is more of an indoor bench so I think Shellac.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

And a table too.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Planed Cherry boards from the chainsaw mill.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Weekend_Sawyer

I just caught up to this thread and I'm glad I did.

Thank for sharing your operation with us. Very interesting.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

If you have a late model Dodge with a Cummins,this is the oil filter wrench that makes it easy to change your filter. A lot of guys go through the wheel well but that is a struggle.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

A good friend logged his farm and the logger saved me the third log pine. He even loaded it on my trailer with his picker. three nice loads,doesn't get easier then that. Now I have some milling to do!
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

In the last post I picked up all those nice logs but winter has set in and I have not had a chance to do any milling. It has been below zero that last few nights (-10*) and I had to charge the battery a little to get the tractor started. Then it jelled up with anti gel in the fuel. I picked up some fuel cut 50/50 with kerosene and with the help of a heat gun she fired back up. You do need to be prepared for that serious cold! Cold and snow do make a days work a little harder!  It warmed up to 15 today and I worked on a new log bunk for the mill. I'll get some pics up as I make progress.
Stay Warm!
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

WV Sawmiller

Rich,

Way late asking but nice benches. Did you pre-cut the wooden legs or trim to length after installation?

I make mine mortise & tenon style then turn them upside down on the mill, clamp them, spread the band wide and cut them all at 17" so they all end up the same height and angle.

These 3 are swamp chestnut oak and came off the same serious bend in the log. I had to add the 5th leg in the center of the curve because they were so off center they wanted to tilt backwards. Each one was cut to length with one pass of the sawmill head/band,
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Love these benches and the curved log is where I hope my wide head will pay off.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

David,

I always say the uglier the log the prettier the benches. With that wide head it will be much easier to set the width to cut the legs to length.

One thing about cutting curves if you can moderately clamp in the middle of the curve you can often  cut a few extra inches by rotating first one then the other end into line with the sawhead.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Farm29

Those benches are super nice wv I like to look for those " ugly" logs when I'm out and about we were cleaning ditches and took a few sycamores out and I saved a log that was 10-12" diameter 6' long but will take a 28" throat to saw it  ???  It will be a little narrow for a bench but hope to still make one with it that's what's fun about having a mill you can build stuff that you can't find at a store
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

WV Sawmiller

F29,

Yeah the big difference in making bench stock is instead of cutting in the middle of the curve to help straighten out the log you want to leave the curve in the middle (?) of the log. I guess if you want the curve on one end you'd cut it that way. That's the beauty of them - each one is unique and anybody buying or getting one for a gift knows they have the only one of its kind. When you can get 2-3 they ache to surround a fire circle.

You can make a nice bench from an 8" slab so don't sell those small logs short either.

Remember you can cut a log that is wider that 28 total width from side to side as long as the log itself is not over 28" and you can clamp in the middle of the curve and still swing first one then the other end into line during cutting.
Howard Green

moodnacreek

Richhiway, I see your not afraid of work. Don't get a sawmill, your too close to me !

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Built a log bunk for the Logosol mill. Makes it easier to just roll them on the mill.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

To cut the notches for the bunk. Set your Skil Saw at the desired depth and make multiple cuts. Then just knock out the waste with your hatchet.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Use your hatchet to clean up the cut.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Clean up with a chisel.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Smooth up with a hand plane and your done.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!