iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To pick up logs or not ?

Started by Arkyrick, December 11, 2015, 05:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkyrick

OK here we go again first off, if there is a thread that covers this topic already I couldn't find it, so apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong place. Does anyone have pictures or information on ways that you pick up logs from people who call you and want to give or sell them to you? My phone is ringing off the hook with calls about logs since I started advertising on the internet. Many are asking way too much but some are free and a few are fairly priced. I am currently looking into building a trailer with a winch and ramps for this problem. Has anyone on this forum done the same and have any info or pics they would like to share? Once I get the logs on my property moving them is not a problem I have a tractor that can load and unload.
Thanks in advance
Arkyrick
LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

Kipper

LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

fishfighter

I have a 20' trailer and I will load my tractor on it. I use a heavy set of hay bale forks to lift the logs over the side and roll them off onto the trailer. Before doing that, I always lay some 4x4's across the bunk of the trailer. Makes it so much easy to unload the at the house. Only problem using the tractor is that I have to make double trips. I have to leave my tractor till I unload the trailer. I do have a backhoe that I unload with.

I saw some people here that use a winch to load logs on a trailer. I'm still looking for a flat bed trailer that the bed goes over the wheels. My plans are to make some side ramps. Mount the wench at the front, install a pulley center of the trailer. The cable will pass under and around a log, back to the center of the trailer. Wench in, up the ramps. ;D

Kbeitz

Yes there is a few threads that covers this topic already.
But I dont know what they called the lifting arms thread that mounts on trailes.

Ahhh.... Found one...

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=35016.0

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

red

There are only so many hours in the day . Try networking and bartering services. Logs are heavy and need heavy equipment. It has been said many times that cheap winches have cheap cables . Use good heavy duty equipment and Be Safe !
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Magicman

I load mine like this.

I now have two small tractor tires that go into the trailer bed before loading logs.   Live and learn :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

I do it pretty much like Magicman.
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

warren46

I get 90% of my logs by picking up logs removed from someone's yard.  I use a trailer with a loading arch and a winch.  The winch is mounted about 2 feet above the trailer deck so the cable is higher than much of the load when pulling logs for the second and third layer on the trailer.

The reason I use a loading arch instead of par-buckling logs on up ramps at the side of the trailer is because I often cannot get the trailer along side of the logs where they lay.  Homeowner yards usually have lots of obstacles.  I can winch the logs right to the back of the trailer and the arch lifts them onto the trailer deck.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

Kbeitz

About half way down the page is a good video about this log lifting arch.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,60413.20.html
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Sixacresand

I load like MagicMan does.  If I cannot put the trailer next to the logs, then I move them with a log arch to where I can load them.  Some times you have to leave them if they are too big or in a bad place.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Den-Den

I load like Magicman and KelLOGg do.  I use a heavy duty manual winch, can load a log heavier than my trailer should carry (I will try to NOT do that again).
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Magicman

I have loaded them like this.

I have loaded them like this.  Backed the log arch onto the trailer as shown here loading some Walnut for Andy White. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

I used a standard, truck mounted service crane and attached it to a dump trailer.  The crane could  deadlift 3,500 lbs of logs right over the side into the bed, or I could extend the 3 section hydraulic boom 15 feet in the air, unwind some cable out to the logs, and "fish" them back through the woods using the crane winch.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Kbeitz

Quote from: Sixacresand on December 11, 2015, 08:42:16 AM
I load like MagicMan does.  If I cannot put the trailer next to the logs, then I move them with a log arch to where I can load them.  Some times you have to leave them if they are too big or in a bad place.
When I made my arch I put a large gas powered winch on top of it.
Any logs in a bad place is winched to the arch. I've winched logs up over a cliff already.
Nothing gets left behind.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 11, 2015, 04:50:29 PM
Quote from: Sixacresand on December 11, 2015, 08:42:16 AM
When I made my arch I put a large gas powered winch on top of it.
Any logs in a bad place is winched to the arch. I've winched logs up over a cliff already.
Nothing gets left behind.

Kbeitz, this years award for the best improvement of all things has to go to you. You got my vote. ;D

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Arkyrick

Wow great info and great ideas I'm leaning towards Majic Man's design it goes well with what I have available.
Thanks Everyone!
LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

Alligator

Quote from: fishfighter on December 12, 2015, 06:51:12 AM
Kbeitz, this years award for the best improvement of all things has to go to you. You got my vote. ;D

I second that. Kbeitz is the most creative tinkerer I've ever seen.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

mesquite buckeye

I am also impressed. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

dboyt

Parbuckling up a ramp is easiest, if you can get the log & trailer lined up.  My chain saw powered Lewis winch has never let me down.

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

dustyhat

Somethings bad wrong with my computer it keeps putting the word (GOAT) were logs supposed to be. or is this a joke?

dustyhat

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: dustyhat on December 18, 2015, 08:09:50 PM
Im i going crazy or what.

Sounds like a variation of Yooper text change going on...

Don't panic, things will git worse.

Just kidding... <--- See what I did?

Herb

POSTON WIDEHEAD

logs....logs.....logs.....testing, 1, 2......logs, logs, logs.

Nope....its your computer.  :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

dustyhat

Sure hope you guys are playing tricks on me , my wife made me get off of here said it was one of them viruses.

Thank You Sponsors!