iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

downed oak suitable for sawing

Started by jts, October 07, 2004, 02:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jts

Forum newbie here with limited experience but loads of interest. I have been lurking for several months and have learned much from you folks. I have a freind who owns some property with several nice oak logs ( both white and red) which were blown down last fall during Hurricane Isabell. Will these logs still be suitable for sawing?  The largest is a nice straight red oak which is 24" + dbh.  If the lumber would't be good for reselling he is considering just having it made into boards to put around a tractor shed he is building on the property.

I appreciate any replies.

I also have a couple of more questions but don't want to overload myself with answers right now!

Thanks

Fla._Deadheader

I would bet those logs would make fine boards. 1 year won't hurt them much, unless they are in direct contact with the ground(already trimmed and bucked). We saw just about anything. Can always burn it ;D ;D ;D

Welcome to the Forum 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Buzz-sawyer

Welcome
Shoot I have sawn OLD logs before...5-10 years fallen?? Any how the heart was EXACTLY as fresh as a newly cut tree , on yours there is maybe a tiny bit of punky wood one the very outer pith , it wil saw out fine ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

sigidi

Welcome JTS,

Hope everyone has enuf answers for you, if not just remember the golden rule....

No I can't do to ya! :D ;D the golden rule was to be a funny comment, but I'll let you ease in before starting any jocularity.

Welcome
Always willing to help - Allan

jts

Thanks for the info. This leads to another question about yet another log.  I have access to a fruit cherry ( blackheart) log that has been down for at least 30 years. The tree was planted by my great great grandfather around 1902 and supplied the family with fruit for many years. Luckily the log fell across a rock wall and as a result was suspended above the forest floor. Most of the sapwood appears to be long since departed but the heart seems solid. In fact when I shaved a bit off with my pocket knife it still had that cherry wood smell. I have always thought that this log might make excellent wood bowls for family members ( sentimental value). Would the wood be dried enough to turn immedietly or would additional drying be necessary? It is located in the southern appalachians.  I am planning to use a chainsaw  to cut the turning blocks out of since I will need to carry the blocks out. any additional pointers are appreciated

Fla._Deadheader

OK, Rule #1,

When in doubt, stick a saw to it. ;) ;) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

music_boy

Hey,
     I found a log in the woods where I work. Guy told me it was on the the ground when he started work there 30 yrs ago!  Looked good so I sawed it. Turned out to be American Chestnut. 8) 8) Ya just never know.
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

jts

Chestnut is some amazing wood. Where a grew up there was a large stand of truly "virgin" timber. Area was just too darn rough to be logged. Was full of large straight american chestnut logs which were solid as could be.

If only !!

BBTom

JTS,
That sounds like helicopter time.  I have used choppers to move grain bins without having to tear them apart.  I know they use them for logging in some rough places.  That chestnut might make it worthwhile!!  Just a thought!!!
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

jgoodhart

The oak logs will make nice boards just cut them up asap or sooner. They might smell real bad to, but it will go away in acouple month. If they do stink don't walk in your house with those clothes on and leave the clothes outside till wash day, it's safer that way ::)

weimedog

How much will the wood need to dry if it has been down as described here in this post?

I have a forest of hard wood sugar maples. There are some huge 3-5ft diameter old standing dead trees. I have been to this point using them for firewood mostly and they are typically solid all the way thru. Now I have to build 24 horse stalls ASAP in my barn.

Same question for those old standing dead maples, if they are solid most of the way thru, could I mill them and put them to use building horse stalls within a month or so? (don't have to be pretty, just have to keep one horse away from the one next to it. Thinking of milling 1" X 10"  planks for the stall sides)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Buzz-sawyer

Why not? Why should it matter if the wood dried standing up as a tree or in a pile in a shed? Wood is wood, if it is rotten the its no good , if solide then it is indestiguishable from green cut wood...........as far as dry time....nail it up as it comes off the mill, it will dry to completion as a stall. :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Furby

As a side note,
Would any of them maples be spalted or used for a sugar bush???
Might be better to sell the wood then and buy what you need.
Of course I'm sure the horses won't mind having "designer stalls". ;)

Thank You Sponsors!