iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Urban cypress, what now?

Started by Tony, December 10, 2015, 07:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Hello all, I've lucked  8) up on 4 pretty good cypress trees. Average dia.small end of butt cut is 24" and 12' in length.  Smaller logs will be sawed with bird houses and lawn furniture in mind, 1'' in thickness.  Now for the bigger logs, cut 1st one max width and 5/4 thickness.

Any ideas and suggestions; width, thickness, and projects for the bigger logs (small ones also) will be appreciated. 1st big log even came with its on nails ::) ::) ::)

Thanks,
                                                                                    Tony  8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I don't get to do Cypress in northern South Carolina. But what ever you do with it , good luck.
Wish I had some logs like that.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tmbrcruiser

I milled some cypress recently to use as board and bat siding on the mill building I am building. Still working on the building so we haven't put on the bats on yet.The top logs will have heavy knots so I milled them as 8/4" use as raised garden boxes.

Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Magicman

That is some nice heartwood in those logs.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Sure is. Well, the mill area is clear and I stacked up a couple logs ready to be milled. Rain in the forecast this weekend. I know for sure that one of the logs has one of those screw in hooks. Got to get it out and just hope no other metal is in it. Also, one of the logs is a bit to big for my mill. Chainsaw attack will be needed. ;D

Of course I had them stacked off the ground in that clearing in the background. That is a pipeline. Well they came to cut it and when they got around my log pile, they just pushed them off the side. >:( I could of put foot to there backside if I was around. >:( Now they are coated in mud. >:(

tmbrcruiser

As I am sure you know cypress is great outside. I found out that Thompson natural water seal comes in two forms. One allows the wood to grey naturally the other has a UV protector and helps the wood keep the brighter appearance. I don't know if the lumber needs to be seals but I figured it can't hurt. Good luck those logs look like they will saw some very nice lumber. 
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Magicman

Lumber from logs like the three pictured above will not hold up in an outdoor application without some kind of protection.  Too much sapwood.   I used such as indoor trim, baseboards, window/door case & face, crown moulding, etc. in the Cabin Addition.    I love the wood grain and character of Cypress.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tony

Thanks for the advice on the 2 different types of sealer and the heads up on the sapwood and heartwood. :) :)  Trying to get all heartwood will narrow the boards a bit :o :o

Thanks,
                                                               Tony 8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Darrel

I've only seen cypress lumber a time or two and I was impressed.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!