iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade speargun

Started by underwaterlogger, December 10, 2015, 01:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

underwaterlogger

Built this speargun last year. Figured you guys would enjoy.
Mobile Dimension circular mill, Woodmizer LT15, Granberg, 50 hp John Deere, 28x9 all aluminum barge, homemade kiln, a ton of chainsaws, scuba gear, scuba certification, and a ton of muscle is how I get it done.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

underwaterlogger

Mobile Dimension circular mill, Woodmizer LT15, Granberg, 50 hp John Deere, 28x9 all aluminum barge, homemade kiln, a ton of chainsaws, scuba gear, scuba certification, and a ton of muscle is how I get it done.

underwaterlogger

underwaterlogger

underwaterlogger

underwaterlogger

underwaterlogger

downsouth

Good job. I like it!
It would be good for mangrove snapper,out at the rigs.

underwaterlogger

downsouth

Yep. Been spearfishing the rigs for 5 or 6 years now. We attend most of the rodeos

underwaterlogger

I wanna go. I never been rig diving.

Raider Bill

I made my living diving when I first moved to Florida. Started off working as a Dive Master on a Cattle boat baby sitting Tourists then bought my own boat, took tours out and shot fish to sell at restaurants.
Made a couple spear guns myself modeled on a Sea Hornet.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

LaneC

That is a fine job. Like he said that would be perfect for Mangroves and trigger fish too. I used to dive the rigs also. Loved all the rodeos, especially the Hell divers. My son won the Jr. division 1 year and my daughter won runner up one year. That gun looks kind of like a Riffe. What type of wood is it? Nice job.
Man makes plans and God smiles

downsouth

The helldiver rodeo is fun.
I like the Aqua Aces rodeo the best. They donate all proceeds to children's hospital. They give lots of prizes away. You don't even have to be a diver to win prizes.
Year before last I won a bushmaster  ar-15.
It is a Good family atmosphere.
Shoot me a PM late spring and we will bring you out there. But please be sure you are certified and pretty comfortable with yourself and your gear in the water. It's lots of fun,but things happen and they happen fast.
You just have to trust your training.

tule peak timber

Quote from: LaneC on December 10, 2015, 08:37:25 PM
  That is a fine job. Like he said that would be perfect for Mangroves and trigger fish too. I used to dive the rigs also. Loved all the rodeos, especially the Hell divers. My son won the Jr. division 1 year and my daughter won runner up one year. That gun looks kind of like a Riffe. What type of wood is it? Nice job.
On the subject of Riffe guns , I own serial number 001.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

downsouth

That is awsome! 
I'll have to check the S/N on mine, but I can asure you it's  not even close to 1.
You must know the Riffe family?
A friend of mine I dive with,knows a guy who knows the daughter, I think. (I know,it's a friend of a friend of a friend kinda thing)
They make a good and accurate speargun. But they are not cheap.

tule peak timber

I was acquainted With Jay when he was just starting up, and we did do some diving together. Most of the guys I dove with are dead now.I used to spend a lot of time in blue water.......

downsouth

Nice.
The history of south louisiana and spearfishing is very interesting, it involves mr. Cousteau and a lot of other very brave and adventurous people.
   My wife's uncle (who is 70ish yrs old) was among the first guys to use the "aqua lung". And a member of the "Sea tigers" To dive and shoot fish out in the gulf on the rigs.
It is so much fun,very beautiful, and and one of those things that you have to want to do.
  When you get a good clear day when the blue water is only 20 miles offshore and there is no current. It just does not get much better. The Riggs are coral reefs. With wonderful colors and amazing life, and not many people ever get a chance to see....

underwaterlogger

I actually have 2 riffe guns one is the euro 90. The gun I built is made of 6 layers of sinker cypress and coated with west systems epoxy. I made the pegs from some darker cypress.

LaneC

X 2 what downsouth said. It can be very dangerous. I think the last rodeo I dove, a 20 something year old guy passed away while coming up. They think he hit his head. It was very rough that day and that is easy to do. It is very nice to do but like he said you need to be comfortable in the water watch what you are doing. Out there, you dive like there is no bottom because of the depth. My old club is dissolving. It was the Frogmen out of Madisonville La. Everyone is getting older and the younger ones are busy making a living. By the way, that is a nice catfish in your picture.

LaneC

That 001 serial no. speargun is surely a keeper. That is nice. The Aqua Aces do put on a fine rodeo and they are a great bunch of folks, and their charity work is outstanding. I always used a JBL. I have heard how "loud" they are, but every fish I ever brought up evidently did not care how loud it was.  :)

tule peak timber

An old pic of gun number 001 after a day of exercise at the cape. Grouper, wahoos, and various rockfish. Kudos to Underwaterlogger for his gun build and nice whisker fish.Have fun, be safe, and Merry Christmas !

Raider Bill

Between the sport and commercial fishing the Gulf in this area is pretty much fished out less you go 40-60 miles out and find some rock.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

downsouth

We have literally thousands and thousands of red snapper here on these rigs, although they would leed you to believe there is not many left. Lots of life in the gulf. They just need some type of structure.
  I have a Riffe hawian. Used to use jbl but the Riffe shoots so much better.
  I may build a gun also. What type of epoxy did you use? I'm assuming it's epoxy.

Thank You Sponsors!