iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For Those Who Like Large Walnut Logs

Started by Glenn1, December 08, 2015, 08:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn1

Today, we took delivery of 29 walnut logs.  Diameters vary from 16" to 27". I'll be cutting them into 4/4, 8/4, and probably slabs.  I need opinions on the slab idea.  They will be air dried for whatever amount of time is necessary. I am not in a rush. 

My kiln can only handle 9' lengths so I am wondering if making some slabs (smooth and live edge) would be worth the time?

Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

dustyhat

Dont know about slabing, but my mouths a watering :)

WV Sawmiller

Glenn,

Congrats on the walnut delivery. Hope you have finally found a good source who can keep you well supplied.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Glenn1

Quote from: tyb525 on December 08, 2015, 09:45:44 PM
Did you buy those from a logger?

Yes, I found a very nice and reliable logger in the Appalachian region.
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Magicman

Congrats on the logs and also on finding the logger.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OffGrid973

I visited a furniture shop up in Vermont last month while visiting family and the current hot items are slabs.  I would say you cut and stack for now with anchor sealed ends and air dry covered for a year.  Then find a furniture place as they are looking for bookmatch unfinished at reasonable moisture content so they can stand vertically (less floor space) that also allows the buyer to decide what to build, at least that is what the owner told me.

This is my current plan but it kills me giving up book matches sets or slabs large enough to make anything I can dream up...but also great money out there and my storage is < 1/2 acre in NJ suburbs.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

YellowHammer

Quote from: Glenn1 on December 08, 2015, 10:18:15 PM
Quote from: tyb525 on December 08, 2015, 09:45:44 PM
Did you buy those from a logger?

Yes, I found a very nice and reliable logger in the Appalachian region.
Does he deliver to North Alabama?  Nice logs for sure. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

xlogger

Glenn, if you need any help with those logs let me know ;D. I've had a little luck with getting some lately also. After I visited with you I've started cutting more lumber than slabs. Cut the smaller ones into boards and save the larger ones for slabs. With that many logs unless you got a good way of selling them I'd just air dry them and put in kiln as needed so they are not all ready at once and the rest will have more time to air dry. By the way I think we are finally getting ready to order materials for my kiln and I've decided on ordering a 53 also. Probably order it in the need week or two to get off taxes this year.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

dboyt

Nice purchase on that walnut.  Hope it is profitable for you!  I use the rule of thumb of 1" thickness per foot of width, in order to keep the slabs proportional for bar tops, table tops, benches, etc.  Definitely want to end seal them ASAP.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

petefrom bearswamp

Regarding end sealing i have noticed that Anchorseal penetrates slightly into th ematerial
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Glenn1

All the logs were sealed with original anchorseal as soon as they were cut.  The makers of anchorseal also make something called log saver which is similar to the S's that go on the ends when there is checking.  Today, I added the log savers  where there was occasional checking.  I think that I have covered all my bases. 

WDH

Thick walnut commands a premium in $/BF in my experience.  Thick slabs can bring in high $, much higher per BF than 4/4. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Glenn1

Quote from: WDH on December 10, 2015, 08:57:14 PM
Thick walnut commands a premium in $/BF in my experience.  Thick slabs can bring in high $, much higher per BF than 4/4.

Hi Danny,
I looked at your website and I see that you offer 6/4,8/4, 12/4, and 16/4.  Are they offered as straight edge or live edge.  Do you get many calls to make it worthwhile?
Thanks,

WDH

I am just about out of anything more than 4/4.  I can't keep the thick stock for long.  I try to have a mix of straight edge and live edge.  For stock that is 8/4 or thicker, take your 4/4 price and double it, minimum.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on December 11, 2015, 08:34:47 PM
I am just about out of anything more than 4/4.  I can't keep the thick stock for long.  I try to have a mix of straight edge and live edge.  For stock that is 8/4 or thicker, take your 4/4 price and double it, minimum.
Ditto on everything he said.
I also can hardly keep any walnut in stock.  Around here, it's hard to get, expensive to buy, easy to sell.  You've got gold in them thar sticks O wood.

Ask your logger if he'll deliver to Alabama and Georgia.   :D
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

WDH

Looks like I might have to make a road trip up North to get some black walnut  :)

123maxbars

Nice find, I sale a lot of Walnut slabs in Northeast TN.  My best seller by far,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Kbeitz

Up here in Pa. they seem to grow wild everywhere.
I have them all over my farm. You can see two of them
growing in this picture next to my shop.
They can be a real pain when nuts start dropping.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

samandothers

There is one next to our aluminum cover that is over our trailer in Va.  When the nuts are falling it makes quite the racket!  Definitely don't want to be under one or park under one dropping nuts.

Glenn1

Quote from: 123maxbars on December 12, 2015, 09:31:40 AM
Nice find, I sale a lot of Walnut slabs in Northeast TN.  My best seller by far,

Can you give me an idea of prices and sizes that you sell?

WDH

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

OffGrid973

Have you ever tried to make your own walnut oil from the nuts?  Saw this on history channel one day and have it on the to do list, just need a whack of nuts :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

YellowHammer

Quote from: cwimer973 on December 19, 2015, 11:35:11 AM
Have you ever tried to make your own walnut oil from the nuts?  Saw this on history channel one day and have it on the to do list, just need a whack of nuts :)
I've thought about it once or twice, just never got around to it.  We have a lot of walnuts when they drop, so much so that that I use a landscape box on my tractor to get them cleared up. 
YellowHammerisms:

Thank You Sponsors!