iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vinyl records

Started by Woodhauler, December 08, 2015, 07:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

My old buddy who died a few weeks ago had a big collection of 60s and early 70s country records. All the top artists. Cash,pride, wynette. lynn ,jones,robbins and lots more! He was a neat freak and every record was in its case and paper sleeve! I drove by his house sunday and his boy had the outdide the road free for taking! I had to save them. I took them and low and behold my Icefishing buddys teenage daughter is into old country records. She even has a record player. I gave the whole crate to her. You would have thought I gave her a million bucks!!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Woodhauler on December 08, 2015, 07:22:58 AM
You would have thought I gave her a million bucks!!!

You may have.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

r.man

I do love it when lives mesh like that. We used to have a practical system at our dump when I was growing up. If you had something you no longer needed but was still usable you set it off to the side where it would be seen by other dump goers. Most of the time those items went home with a new owner.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Woodhauler

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 08, 2015, 07:29:25 AM
Quote from: Woodhauler on December 08, 2015, 07:22:58 AM
You would have thought I gave her a million bucks!!!

You may have.  :)
Oh I'm sure they have some value but she is as picky as my old buddy Harry was and they will most likely be around a long time still.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Magicman

Yup, she will give them a home.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

I have a huge collection that belonged to deceased sil. Mostly 50's country songs, includes every gospel album ever recorded by Elvis. Yeah, he was really into southern gospel. That's where he started. On my to-do rainy day list is a project to transfer them all to cd's...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Kbeitz

You could have bought a USB record player off E-bay and recorded all your music to your hard drive.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Bruno of NH

Vinyl are back .
Some like the sound .
Turn tables are hip .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

sawguy21

I finally got rid of a large number, I wasn't playing them anymore (no turn table) and got tired of moving the DanG things. I kept thinking these are going to be valuable some day but didn't know if I would live long enough to see it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

coxy

your old buddy is up there thanking you for what you did        good job Woodhauler :)

Al_Smith

I never really knew what some of the words really were on those old vinyl records. That is until they were remastered to CD.

New country is neat but I'm an old time rock and roll type of guy .

pabst79

Vinyl is for sure back, a few weeks ago I seen a commercial for a record store in Eau Claire, who would have thought a record store could be a viable business again? I loved thumbing through my parents collection when I was a kid, I just wished someone would have kept them. I love hearing that someone younger is into classic country, its my favorite.  smiley_fiddler
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

timberlinetree

Making people happy and preserving history. Great job WH!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

loggah

You guys got me thinking ! i know i got a couple of boxes of c/w records "somewhere" in the basement? ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Magicman

Yup, we have boxes of them.  Of course "back in the day" we had a stereo/cabinet with storage.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Mom and dad should have piles of them somewhere, I remember staring at the CW Mcall? album, I wanted that Jeep  :D.

woodmills1

Why don't you love me like you used to do
My eyes are still curly and my hair is still blue

Oh that ain't right
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

terrifictimbersllc

Vinyl is very much back.  Old boxes of records, many not played very much, are a treasure. CDs yes they don't get scratched and dusty like records, but the sound of vinyl is special.  Try buying a nice turntable now.  An audiophile turntable in the early 70's could be had for several hundred.  The same quality now starts at more than double the price and easily can go into the thousands. I just paid $500 to have my 5 yr old one repaired.  One can find turntables costing more than $20K. And try to find a receiver with a low impedance phono input.  Have to work at it.   There's a reason to do it.   While I still have all my records,  I wish I had picked up many more when others were throwing them out.  Full circle. Sure glad I didn't try to reproduce my collection with CDs. 

Listening to Johnny Cash at San Quentin right now.  The album cover is all beat up but the sound is as good as when it was new.   And there's something special about those little cracks and pops that are in the same places as 40 yrs ago.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Being an old DJ that played music back in the 70's and 80's I used 3 identical turntables. The Technics SL 1200.
I could change the pitch on records and mix the music going from 1 song to the other and keep a dance going for hours.
When I first started, I used a reel to reel with taped music on it in case I had to run to the restroom.  ;D
Worked at a place called O'Sullivan's,
They served Dinner at night but then at 10 pm I slowly lowered the lights and smoke, made from dry ice would flood the dance floor and the volume was turned up with chart busters.
This place had over 2600 vinyl records in alphabetical order to where I could find a record quick.
50's, 60's, 70's Disco Music. Then the 80's came with Funk Music.
In my opinion, there is no more REAL country music anymore. We had nights back then where I played, Hank, Dolly, Johnny, Wallon and you know the rest of them.
The record companies sent vinyl to all the clubs and radio stations as soon as it came off the press.
I had new records waiting on me every Thursday night.
There was no You Tube, Facebook, I-Tunes or any other way for singers to promote their songs except clubs, radio and concerts. The Vinyl Days were some of the best times I can remember. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!