iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What about reed valves?

Started by old2stroke, December 07, 2015, 03:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old2stroke

I don't get to work on a wide variety of saws anymore so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that piston-port induction is now universal and has been for a long time.  Back in the day, Homelite was heavy into reed valves and made some exceptionally powerful saws, so here's a question for you guys that go back more than 30 years.  Did anyone else use them?  My ethanol damaged memory bank doesn't come up with any names.
Not too many saws.  Not enough storage space.

old 030

lombard, pioneer and the many power products powered saws are a few that come to mind..........poulan had a few as well

OldJack

The recent Dolmar 6100 uses a reed valve. See item 165 on page 2, 2nd section of the 6100 parts book.

http://download.dolmar.com/manuals/23803.pdf

ladylake

That looks like a strato motor with reeds on the strato port.  I know some of the smaller Echo saws use reeds until just recently or they might still have a model with reeds  CS341 if they still make it.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ZeroJunk

The little 009 Stihl hasn't been out of production all that long.

Al_Smith

Poulan s-25 ,large McCullochs ,

sawguy21

A number of the under 40cc saws used them until recently, they allowed more flexibility in design and produced good torque. That 009 had a lot of grunt for it's size. Unfortunately emission regulations killed them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

The last of the best upgraded  large displacement Poulan professional saws introduced in 1986-88 had reed valves.
These 2 saws were the Poulan 8500 and the Poulan Pro 655.
The 655 was originally a Pioneer model.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

CTYank

Some smaller Tanakas use reed valves.

38 cc Poulan S25DA did, too. Powerful little screamer.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Thank You Sponsors!