iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back on the lathe

Started by Kasba, December 06, 2015, 10:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kasba

I finally got to get on my lathe before I start a large Cruiseship refit... But I got a couple figured Western Maple platters and a Arbutus Burl bowl done. Hope the pictures turn out all right I have only posted a few and am not still sure I am doing it properly.

Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

mesquite buckeye

Awesome ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

samandothers

They really look good.  You did a great job.

cbla

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lud

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

lowpolyjoe

Busy Beaver Lumber

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Den-Den

The wood and the workmanship is great on all three.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Those are beautiful.  Only improvement I can imagine is to fill them with Cheetos.  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dodgy Loner

Those are just incredibly beautiful. Pictures like that are what got me into turning a decade ago. I don't think I ever produced anything quite that nice before drifting off into other interests. Seriously well-done. I love the effect of the dye in the first one, by the way!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

21incher

Beautiful work. You really know how to choose the blanks. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

justallan1

51cub

I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Woodey

Awesome!
What did you use for the finish? They all looks good!
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Kasba

Thanks everyone for your support. The first platter is tung oil then Beall buffed, bowl is walnut oil and last platter is 2 coats tung oil so far. I have been turning for 6 years now and I owe a special thanks to the Island Wood Turners Guild and the AAW, without either one I would not have been able to progress to where I am.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

Kbeitz

When I worked at Grizzly Tools we sold lathe wood carvers that sold for over $200.00 for each one.
Is there really that much difference between carvers ? I seen what looked to be nice whole set for less.
I dont know if I could ever spend $200.00 for just one.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Outer Rondacker

Wow just wow. I would not even be able to keep them from cracking.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Kasba

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 08, 2015, 06:07:07 AM
When I worked at Grizzly Tools we sold lathe wood carvers that sold for over $200.00 for each one.
Is there really that much difference between carvers ? I seen what looked to be nice whole set for less.
I dont know if I could ever spend $200.00 for just one.
It is funny you mention that, I was just having a conversation with a fellow turner. Most people start out and go and buy these sets for lots of money and I also did this when I first started out. My problem also was that I would buy the next greatest tool sensation on the market, I probably have between 30 and 40 different tools. The funny thing is out of all my different tools I use my 3/8" bowl gouge, 1/8" parting tool and a skew chisel the most out of any of my other tools. My unhandled 3/8" bowl gouge, that I am on my second one witch I paid $28.00 for. So long story short ,buy only what you need for the type of turning you do. Like my dad used to always say "a poor tradesman blames his tools". Hope this helps.

Kbeitz

Have you tried the ones that take the replacable carbide tips ?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kasba

I have I, I use them for roughing out. I find I can get nice finish with my 3/8 bowl gouge.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Kasba on December 10, 2015, 11:57:21 PM
I have I, I use them for roughing out. I find I can get nice finish with my 3/8 bowl gouge.

Are they worth the $100.00 plus each ?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

isawlogs

One of these days I will turn a plate or a bowl, All I ever turn on my mill are handles for tools that I bring back to life, or out right make.

Your plates a bowl are just awsome.  :) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!