iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lost post

Started by oldseabee, December 06, 2015, 08:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldseabee

I spent some time this AM on a post describing an apprentice program in South Africa in response to a statement by some one about the need for an apprentice program here. I posted it but some one dumped it for no reason that I can think of. Any way it's gone somewhere.
It is just discouraging to spend the time and it's gone in a flash.

Jeff

Yea, well, the someone is you. Don't make out like someone here did it. Our forum logs show you never posted a post, so there was never one to move or delete, and we don't just delete posts for no reason. If we did, this accusatory post would be gone.  You probably hit preview instead of post, and then left the browser window, but what ever happened, you are the culprit. No one here. If we had removed a post, we would have no problem telling you that we did and why.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chester_tree _farmah

If u didn't close your browser try the back button a few times. You may get lucky and get back to the form and your text.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

oldseabee

First I know the difference between post and  preview, I have done a few. Not sure what happened. I try to make constructive posts not just a lot of them. Most of what I do is try to answer specific questions on equipment that I have experience with. This wasn't the first post that went away.
Sorry if I stepped on some toes. Just frustrated.

Jeff

Once again, this was your mistake. I can guarantee you. Anything that is posted to the forum becomes record. Anything that is deleted, is STILL record as we have a recycle bin. The only way for something to be completely removed is for us to delete it twice, but we are still accountable. We also have an admin log and a moderator log that logs every instance of admin or moderator actions. These records are locked and nothing newer than 30 days can be removed.   Your post shows up in none of these things.  Just because you know the difference between preview and post does not mean you didn't do exactly that.  Now wouldn't you think I would know the difference between preview and post? Well guess what, I've done the very exact thing a few times myself.  Looked for the post and it is no where, then find out I have it open in another browser window and I had hit preview and not post.

Stepping on toes is always forgivable, even when you do it on purpose. You now say you didn't know what happened. The first post you blamed it on us. It wasn't us I guarantee.

Jeff

Quote from: oldseabee on December 06, 2015, 10:15:35 AM
This wasn't the first post that went away.

You are right. I went back and looked at every single post you ever made.  on: January 20, 2013, 08:43:40 am ยป you posted

Good Day:
I have a friend looking for a Cat 518 Grapple mid to late 90's preferably with Cat grapple.

It was deleted for breaking advertising rules by being posted outside of the commerce area.

Other than that, you have never had a post removed.

lopet

It happens quick.   Beenthere..... donethat, and I don't even remember what button I hit, but I am sure there is more than one, to make a post disappear.  ;D 
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

sawguy21

I have had that happen when I go back to unread topics too quickly after posting, the scribes inside my computer need more time to process it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pineywoods

Yup, there is a problem and it ain't Jeff or the admins. I went through a rash of lost posts a while back, it got so bad I would make a post and then go to my profile and list all posts to see if it got there. Short story, There is a compatibility problem between the current forum software and some of the old outdated browsers. In my case windows 98 and firefox 2.0. It happens when you click the post button and then click the back button before the post is completed. Another symptom is IM's never get written  to your outbox. Could read IM's ok, couldn't send any. Also the advertising banners on the home page never displayed. I won't bother with the technical details, the fix is to install an up-dated browser...and maybe the os as well. I'm cheap, I run old outdated equipment and software.. :)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

starmac

LOL I do this pretty regularly. My computer is outdated and on this site for some reason very slow to post. If I hit the back button before the post comes up, poof it is gone. And sometimes I get a message on this sight that another post has been made while I was slowly typeing with my twp fingers, I sometimes lose that post, by hitting something, not 100% sure what. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

North River Energy

Oldseabee,
I look forward to your posts on account of their exceptional signal/noise ratio, and offer the following suggestion:
If I know my post will contain more than, say, 4 or 5 sentences, I'll do the composition as a separate document on my computer desktop, and then paste that text to the dialog box prior to entering the post.
That way I have a good copy in the event something unintentional happens.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: pineywoods on December 06, 2015, 02:27:55 PM
Yup, there is a problem and it ain't Jeff or the admins. I went through a rash of lost posts a while back, it got so bad I would make a post and then go to my profile and list all posts to see if it got there. Short story, There is a compatibility problem between the current forum software and some of the old outdated browsers. In my case windows 98 and firefox 2.0. It happens when you click the post button and then click the back button before the post is completed. Another symptom is IM's never get written  to your outbox. Could read IM's ok, couldn't send any. Also the advertising banners on the home page never displayed. I won't bother with the technical details, the fix is to install an up-dated browser...and maybe the os as well. I'm cheap, I run old outdated equipment and software.. :)

I think this has a lot to do with it. I used to have a lot of issues posting from the old farm computer. I do almost everything on my phone now, and it hasn't been an issue, other than typing on a phone is very tedious.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Corley5

I always highlight and "copy" text every couple lines so I don't lose it.  I've lost posts before and this solves the problem for me :) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Good points. I;ve been pretty diligent about making sure the Forum software evolves with the rest of the web, so many older browsers just don't work right here any longer. No more babbitt bearings and rabbit ears here. :)

coxy

Quote from: pineywoods on December 06, 2015, 02:27:55 PM
thanks for the tips   Babbitt bearings haven't heard that in a long time  :D

woodmills1

ahhhh babbitt ears, a chocolate bunny by sinclair lewis
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

North River Energy

^Good one.  Bonus points for obscure reference/conflation.

Babbitt-lined bearings may be 'difficult' to service in the field, but they are very hard to surpass in some applications.

Jeff

No, but you can't poor babbitt in a modern day roller bearing to rejuvenate it either.

beenthere

What trips me up is clicking the "Preview" button and then scroll up to see it... looks ok so my mind must just skip the next step to SCROLL back down to click the "Post" button.

Lose them right there... slow minds don't always keep up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

North River Energy

'Babbitt the rollers' sounds like a 'break in the rookie' task.

woodmills1

pour babbitt, I remember him well
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!