iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you tell how big our tree is?

Started by Jeff, December 05, 2015, 06:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

A clue in this photo is the extra two lights near the bottom. :D

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jtmccallum

If that's Beaner it's a pretty bug tree.
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

Jeff

It is beaner! And now it looks like you have the typo cause I fixed mine. :D :D :D

My dad planted this tree the first time in 1968 on a north facing clay hill in North Bradley Michigan. It stood on that hill until 1984, only growing to be a little over 2 feet tall. Dad and I dug it up that summer to transplant here at our home in Harrison. It was the second tree I ever planted. It stood in our front yard next to a white spruce that we dug up as well until 2000. By that time they had only grown to be about 8 feet tall. Only about 6 feet in 16 years. In 2000 we cut the white spruce down to use as a Christmas tree that winter. That gave the Blue spruce a shot in the arm losing the competition, and it took off. It's been growing over a foot a year since then.

This is the second time we have decorated it. The first time was when it was about 7 feet tall, and we caught someone after dark trying to steal it. We heard a noise in the dark and turned the yard lights on and caught this guy jumping back in a truck with a bowsaw in his hand trying to steal it. The dang lights tree were even still plugged in!  I've decorated it a couple times since with photoshop as well.   THe last time we had measured it officially was 2008 and it was 18' tall.  Today we measured it and it is now 27 ft tall!  Tammy and I took a ride after dark. We can see the tree from the end of our road over a quarter mill away, we can see it from over the hill almost to Little long lake, and we went out and drove between the Harrison exits and can see it from the 127 expressway!

This is going to be this years Christmas tree. It has 720 lights on it.

Here is a link with a picture of it when it was probably a little over 20'
Just a tree, just some snow

kensfarm

Outside Christmas tree's just seem to add a little magic to the holidays.  Ho Ho Ho..  Merry Christmas to all! 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I would have never guessed that tree was that big. But I see it now.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

Nice tree, Jeff!

We have two White Spruce trees in our front yard that we had been decorating every year since 1989 and up until about 4 years ago.

The reason we stopped was because they were getting really close to the nearby overhead power line!

They were about 6ft tall when we started decorating them and now they're around 30-35 feet tall.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

timberlinetree

Really like the star on top and the story about the tree. Great job! :christmas:
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

samandothers

Very nice!  How did you place the lights and topper on it? Lift?

Jeff

I have a couple of aluminum poles that fit together that are 21 feet long.  I taped a pair of needle nose pliers into the end of one, plier end into the pole, leaving the rubberized handles sticking out like a "U". I used this to lift the wire up to the top and get it looped on the leader, then used the pole to work the lights around the tree.  Needed an 8ft ladder for the top to get started, as my reach and the pole was not quite to the top.   The topper is actually battery powered. Found it on clearance at a miejers store.  It takes 3 double a batteries and is led. It lights up for 6 hours then turns off for 18 hours. That was actually harder to get up there than the wires. I made a hoof from a wire coat hanger and eventually got it to loop on the tree leader, it actually hangs down about a foot below the top of the tree.

slider

In about 10 more years you will need our bucket truck.
al glenn

isawlogs

You did a good job, funny how we can come up with ways to get things done when push comes to shove. Itt looks great.  8)

Getting to be Christmassy here also.  :) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

Quote from: slider on December 06, 2015, 09:28:18 AM
In about 10 more years you will need our bucket truck.

At the rate it is growing, not sure I'll even be able to do this next year. I was at my max.

isawlogs

Alls you need is an extention for the extentioned pole!   :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

Maybe, but not much more. Its not like you are using it straight up and down, you have to hold it at an angle to move the wire around the tree, and once you get a little angle to the pole, at 21 feet, plus the wait of pulling the wire around, there is quite a bit of torque at the lower end. :)

Magicman

Just like last week's Survivor, you will lose your immunity idol. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

It's so cool that Harley is part of the lights.  That would make a good Christmas card.   :D
Say when

Jeff

This is probably the perfect Harley Christmas Card. :)

coxy

nice tree 8) 8) 8) 8)  I was thinking 18ft     if you clime the tree next year and take the pole to set the lights  you should be ok  :D :D :christmas:

Roxie

Jeff, have you ever had a dream like this?   :D :D :D
Say when

coxy

not to get off topic but Roxie is that 2 grand children or just 2 pics of the same one look almost like twins

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Julie said this pic is off the charts. (she likes it.  :) )

Roxie

Quote from: coxy on December 06, 2015, 07:06:31 PM
not to get off topic but Roxie is that 2 grand children or just 2 pics of the same one look almost like twins

2 grand daughters!  They are wearing their favorite princess outfits.  On the left is Belle and on the right Snow White.   :)
Say when

Chuck White

Helpful Hint!

When we used to decorate our yard Christmas tree, we use an old telescoping swimming pool cleaning handle with a little hook fashioned on the end to lift the wires up onto the tree.

The cleaning handle will extend to around 20 feet, and it's not real heavy.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

lowpolyjoe

Beautiful tree and great job decorating.

Quote from: Jeff on December 05, 2015, 07:26:11 PM
..and we caught someone after dark trying to steal it

:( >:(

Jeff

Ya think it's windy out there?  I went out to watch our Tree dance in about a 25 mile an hour wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p0lZDFmTAA

Magicman

I think it's the true Northern Lights.   :o   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

I was on the phone when The wind really kicked in. I said I gotta go video my tree!   I got out there just in time. :D

Roxie

That video is fun!  Always something going on of interest at your place, Jeff.  That star is really pretty.  How much does it weigh that it just flew off like a leaf? 
Say when

Jeff

Its very light, maybe a pound at the most, but as it turns out, the weather next day said our winds were over 40 mile an hour and there were many power outages. So, I'm lucky I was out there, We might have had to go a lot farther to find it!  :)

Jeff

I'm thinking the Christmas full moon is an adequate replacement for our battery powered star that blew off in the wind storm 2 nights ago. :)

OntarioAl

Nice picture of the moon as a replacement for the star.
I was just admiring it (the moon) as I loaded the outside boiler for the night.
Al
Al Raman

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

Don't let nobody do this to it  :o

cut_tree

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!