iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

from woods to playsets

Started by JBlain, December 03, 2015, 08:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBlain

Hello All,

I am new here but constantly tinker and manage our forestland in SC PA.  I built 2 playsets for our girls.  Our oldest is 2 and loves them.  They are all from the property with white oak, black locust (poles and milled lumber) and a sassafras for the roofs due to the rot resistance.  All the hardware was recycled from friends who have kids that out grew their playsets. 

Josh

Busy Beaver Lumber

Jblain

Welcome to the forum. There are some of the nicest people in the world that hang out here.

Awesome job on the playset. That is next up on my honey do list. I have all the swings and such, and most of the wood ready to go. If weather stays like this, I just might work on it yet this year.

Best Holiday Wishes.
Fred
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

LeeB

Good job on the big one in the back.  :D The other ones look pretty good too.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Those will be enjoyed for many fun filled years.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JBlain

It will be fun for many years and hold up a lot  better than fast grown pressure treated yellow wood....  the sassafras was a 38 in diameter woods grown 2 log tree that I had to cut.  It yielded over 600 bd ft. I had it cut into 4/4 and 2 1/4 slabs.  I can't wait to make a kitchen table and chairs out of it for the cabin.  It looks like American Chestnut.
Josh

beenthere

Really attractive play sets, but the kids grow out of them so quick... enjoy them while you can.

How often we say "But it was only like 'yesterday' that they did.....  (old saying) and now they are off to college or living elsewhere".   Good times..
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

The play sets are just as fun the second time around when the grand kids come along. Maybe even more. You don't have to wash them up afterwards, just send them home.  ;D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

But with grandkids, that is when GPa plays with them..  ;D
Because seems like more time to do it and the toys are bigger and better...  ;)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

21incher

Great job on the playsets. My grand kids have a giant play set at home they barely use, but when they come over I have a hard time getting them off the swings that are hanging from tree branches in my back yard. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

JBlain

Thanks.  Our 2 year old is with me in the woods all the time.  She loves being out and about and helping on the trails, pick wild edible (with supervision...) and cultivated oyster & shiitake mushrooms.  Her sister is still a little young at 3 months to help

Josh

yukon cornelius

Great job! I can tell you first hand there is nothing better than having those kids around all the time. We are a family business, and work from home. Our oldest son is 15 and our youngest is 4. They are homeschooled and help in the shop every day. I can't imagine ever doing anything else. You are blessed!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Magicman

I love the little "Angel" pictures, especially the first one.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!