iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodworking in new home

Started by Sparty, December 02, 2015, 07:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparty

I owe the forum a few photos because I seldom post.  I am currently building my family a new home.  The home is on my grandfathers property where he taught me about woodworking.  I have been using my stash of lumber (which my grandfather took great pleasure in watching the milling process) in the construction... When I have the time.  I wish he was alive to see the house.

Here is some of the lumber off the mill several years ago: 

And a bar top for the kitchen:

More to follow.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Hilltop366

Sparty

Stairs curtesy of the emerald ash borer, sticker stain included.  These are open tread design.

I have some trim work left on the stairs and I have some nosing on the bottom of the planks to satisfy code that are not permanent.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I love what your are doing.  It is very satisfying watching trees become a home.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

How did you cut the miter for the bar?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

Really great job!  I think your grandfather is there and smiling!

How did you support and anchor the stair treads?  Looks like they are double thickness.

Sparty

The miter for the bar was rough cut with a circular saw and refined with hand tools.  A miter on a large plank is not very fun... A lot of fine tuning by hand.  The stairs a roughly 9/4 and supported by heavy angle brackets on each end.  The lags are into doubled 2x stringers.  A 350lb man does not budge them or make them creak.  My whole family can jump on one with no movement/noise.

Sparty

Walnut rails and gaurds

Dodgy Loner

You're better at woodworking than you are at rotating your pictures :snowball: :D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

beenthere

Having the pics right side up would be a big help. The bain of the iPhone/iPad
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lowpolyjoe

That kitchen bar is really a beauty.

Regarding the picture rotation issues - I've been having a lot of problems on the forum lately.  I rotate my pictures via the gallery tool but they sometimes seem to rotate themselves back when viewed in-thread.   Don't think it's a cache problem because I've seen them look OK in-thread immediately after fixing them, and the next day they're messed up again.   Never had this problem until the past month or two.

Thanks for posting Sparty

beenthere

There apparently is a way to hold the iphone cameras in such a way that the pics are correct. Might be good for us to find out what that is and encourage it.
Googled it and found this...

http://iphonephotographyschool.com/iphone-photos-upside-down/

Take photo's with the volume button down.. is the suggested fix.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

21incher

Great job. Your grandfaher would be proud. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

coalsmok

Sparty

I am at training this week... Away from my laptop.  I can't get the photos to look right from my iPhone .  I will see if I can resolve the problem via laptop later.  When I view the photos, they all have the correct orientation.  They do appear distorted lengthwise, though.

Ljohnsaw

Wow!  The pictures have the correct aspect, just rotated 90° counter-clockwise.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SwampDonkey

Your doing a beautiful job with all that nice wood.

You can rotate the images from within your gallery as well. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

That is absolutely beautiful work, I especially like the vanity. Well done. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Sparty

Strange...posted and viewed the pictures on my iPhone and everything was fine.  Dodgy made fun of the photos but I couldn't see the problem until I accessed the site via a laptop.  Photos are fine with the iPhone, but rotated on a computer.  Anyway, fixed them on the laptop.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

Magicman

I love the entire display of your workmanship and your mix of Walnut and Ash is superb.  That vanity is rustic yet elegant. smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OffGrid973

Any chance you can send more pics of the walnut handrail?  I have 3x4 walnut cut in the garage for this and have been looking for a nice simple design.  Mounting pictures and close ups would be awesome ...thanks chris
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Sparty

The rails are a simple design.  Just a rectangle cross section with a 45 taken off the edges.  I rounded the edges with hand planes.  The cross section fits code for graspable hand rails.  The returns coincide with studs in the wall, so a pocket hole screw helps secure the end of rail.   

OffGrid973

I picked up the powder coated black hangers for the middle sections and like the pocket hole idea for ends.  Great job again, I will post my hallway once they are up, thank you for the guidance !
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

samandothers

Thanks for posting detail on stairs.  My wife and I really like the kitchen bar and bathroom vanity top.  We differ on opinions of the railing for the upper level.  I like what you did.  She is more of a fan of a vertical rail orientation.  She is thinking kids will be climbing the horizontal rails.

I really like all the walnut!

Sparty

Vertical guard rails do offer more safety for small children, but I much prefer horizontal lines.  A great deal of commercial buildings use horizontal bars... And the way codes are now, you know that they would be outlawed if there were many injuries associated with them.  I know that some inspectors do frown on them, though.  I designed the top cap to make it difficult for a small child to climb. A wide board on top makes it much more difficult for a child to crest the top, especially if the board overhangs the pedestrian's side of the rail.  A child would have to lean back and then leverage themselves over the top using a lot of arm strength.  That being said, I am sure that many kids could climb it, or drown in the pond, or get lost in the woods, or.....

samandothers

Sparty
I was not throwing darts at design.  I really like it.  Just shared wife comments as an opposing opinion from mine and why.  I think you thought it out, designed it to be safe and did a fantastic job!

I look forward to more of your photos, thanks for sharing.

Kasba

Absolutely stunning, your grandfather as taught you well. He is looking down on you with a smile and extremely proud. Nice work
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

Sparty

No offense taken at all.  We all constantly make decisions as to where we draw the line between being safe and being paranoid.  It can be difficult.  None of us want to be confined by an overly complex building code, but none of us want to see someone get hurt, either.

Sparty

Another walnut counter.  My apologies if the orientation is incorrect...will check it on my laptop later

beenthere

Sparty
Try the trick of taking iPhone shots with the volume control down.
'Tis said to keep pics right side up when viewing on computers.

The work looks great, but will get better when all is kosher in the end.
south central Wisconsin

Sparty

Added a master closet and shower bench this week.  The closet is a cherry frame with stained birch plywood secondary wood.  The shower bench is Ipe.  I also took a little time for a project with one of my sons.  He has been getting into skateboarding.  We researched skateboard deck measurements and I found that there are quite a few young men learning some woodworking skills in order to make their own skateboards/longboards.

samandothers

Did you use pocket holes to join the face frame and to mount it to the birch?

Seems like your son may have a 'woodworking' interest.  I remember my dad cutting a piece of wood and taking a steel wheeled old skate apart and mounting the wheels on the piece of wood to make a skate board for me.  It was fun. You could sit on it (many years ago when I was smaller) ride down the concrete driveway and lean heavy to one side or the other and it would slide around.  Once I started to stand up on it he took it away for fear I'd break my neck! :o ;D

OffGrid973

Finally put up the first test fit of the new railing, love the one finished corner look, need to complete the other end now that I know length.

Thanks again for the idea, just what I needed to get going on finishing these steps. Lacquer finish makes the walnut really pop.

regards,
-chris

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

Sparty

Hey... That looks familiar.  Great job.  I find that I like the squared cross section better than round or oval.

Randy88

Nice looking projects, the question I have is how did you get sticker stains on the steps??   

OffGrid973

I like to dry my carpet 1 year per inch, just takes a lot of room in the backyard :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

WDH

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Randy88 on January 21, 2016, 05:03:34 AM
Nice looking projects, the question I have is how did you get sticker stains on the steps??   

Good material here.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Randy88

Poston, the only way I can figure out how to get sticker stains is to plane and mill everything to finished spec's and then sticker the completed steps while waiting for them to be installed, using damp stickers.     Actually I'd never heard or seen sticker stain before until its been mentioned here on the forum, just trying to figure out how it happened.   

Sparty

Here's how you get sticker stain on stairs:
1.  Get ash borers to kill all the ash trees
2. Get the city to give you a whack of beautiful ash logs (as long as you get to them before the cogeneration plant picks them up)
3. Use your good stickers on your walnut and the not-so-dry stickers on the free ash
4. Find a good use for your recovered ash.

The forum and I are the only ones who noticed the stain.  The treads are mounted on angle brackets so I can swap them out easily if I ever want to place an interesting slab in there.

How to get stains in your carpet:
1. Let a goat in your house🙂

Sparty

For randy88, the sticker stain is pretty easy to get if you use green (undried) stickers on fresh sawn light colored woods.  The stain usually is deep enough that it won't plane out.  Interestingly, 6/4 ash in the same pile with the same stickers did not stain.  It must have dried quick enough to avoid the stain that appeared in the 10/4 slabs.  I don't think you could get a similar stain in dried wood that you milled and stacked with wet stickers.  For one, if it is dried to final moisture content, you should be able to dead stack it.  If you did put wet stickers on it, I guess you could get some fungus stains, but I think those would be pretty shallow stains.... never tried it, though.

Randy88

Sparty, only wood workers will ever find things amiss with any wood project, all others will just think its part of the design or is supposed to be there.     

twin_lakes

Sparty, the countertops are incredible.  Can you share the finish you used, especially for the bathroom?
Woodland HM126, Stihl 270, Ford 641 Workmaster

Sparty

The finish is a bit of an experiment... I finished all of my maple flooring with a water based flooring poly.  I liked the matte finish so I tried it on the countertops.  So far, it has worked well.  I tried a few different combos of finish.  I like to try new finishes on my own furniture before I would sell it to somebody else

Thank You Sponsors!