iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer lap siding attachment

Started by flyboy16101, December 01, 2015, 08:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyboy16101

Dose anyone have information on the shingle/lap siding attachment from Woodmizer? I am looking at one used and I am wondering if it's worth the investment? Thanks
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

beenthere

"worth it" will be up to you, and what you do with it.
Only you can determine the answer...

How does it fit within your business plan? 

If it works perfect, do you plan to put a lot of wood through it and sell shingles and siding? 

What is the investment ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GAB

flyboy16101:
I bought a used SLR a while back and used it once.  I keep it as you never know when you might be able to quote a job very few people are going to be able to fill.
I requested and received, via email, the instruction manual for it from W-M.
Note: I totally agree with Beenthere.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

No matter the cost, I would have to have a good idea how quickly I would recover my investment because storing idle iron is not my idea of profitability.  The available market and reaching that market is the key to making any investment profitable.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

flyboy16101

I was thinking along the lines on what gab said about being only person around that can do it. At the moment I am trying to add products I can offer to my mill service, tomato/ survey stakes, fire wood, etc... To make it a more sustainable income. What I was wondering is do you guys get a lot of orders for lap siding or is it something that there is not much of a demand for?
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

prittgers

Until the BevelSider (www.bevelsider.com) came along, I have been a big fan of the SLR.  While using mine across from the college in Kenai, Alaska I got to visiting with the Welding Instructor.  Because long pieces of siding were sagging and making the ends thin, he added 5 ft to the frame.  That took care of the drooping. 

The Pony clamps ate a few of my blades, though  :-\,  One thing that I wanted to overcome was the way you always seemed to end up with a board that was not flat when you were done. 

It is still one of the best attachments you can get. I cut 6100 lineal feet of bevel siding for a single customer.  At the hourly rate it made me a lot of money!  If you can't get a BevelSider, get the Wood-Mizer SLR.  Keep it oiled up and it will make you money.

Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

starmac

Ok, what is the difference between a lap sider and a slr??

Never mind, I went back and saw you provided a link. Is this the one you had to show at fairbanks this year??
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

petefrom bearswamp

Had mine for 7 yrs never used it sold it to Chuck White
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Chuck White

I still have it and it's stored on the wall in my garage!

I'm still in hopes to use it sometime!

The instruction manual for it isn't very informative.

It would help to know how wide of a cant to make and how much to drop the sawhead to get certain size shingles or lap siding!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GAB

Quote from: Chuck White on December 03, 2015, 10:39:43 AM
I still have it and it's stored on the wall in my garage!

I'm still in hopes to use it sometime!

The instruction manual for it isn't very informative.

It would help to know how wide of a cant to make and how much to drop the sawhead to get certain size shingles or lap siding!

Mr. White SIR:
Concerning the instruction manual - Call Barry in Hanibal and ask him to email you the latest version of an SLR manual.  It is much better than what was originally supplied.
Concerning the max. width - measure the pony clamp and subtract a little for ease of mounting the blocks.
Depending on the thickness desired and the length ( in my case I was sawing 22-1/4" long shingles that were 17/32" thick at one end and 5/32" at the other end.  I ended up having to adjust the cams on the bar that rotates.  That was a pain.
When using the SLR you need to set two point on the computer in my case I was using 5/32" and 17/32".  before you raise the head, after taking a pass, you need to change the auto down to the other set point, raise the head and return, flip the handle, drop the head and repeat.  NOTE: Pony clamps and saw blades are a bad mix.  As you can probably tell I know from experience.

I used mine to make shingles that I used on my veggie stand.  I used 7" reveal on the roof and 10" reveal on the sides. 
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Chuck White

Thanks for the post Gerald, I'll give him a call first chance I get!

I need to order some stuff anyway!

My 1995 model LT40 has no computer stuff, so all the up/dn is set by eye!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kbeitz

Cooks sells a magnet rule....
It's far from a computer but better than nothing...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

GAB

Quote from: Chuck White on December 03, 2015, 04:54:43 PM
Thanks for the post Gerald, I'll give him a call first chance I get!

I need to order some stuff anyway!

My 1995 model LT40 has no computer stuff, so all the up/dn is set by eye!

You're welcome and I hope your eye is a whole lot better than mine.
The only time I use the scale on the mill is to make sure the head is high enough to clear the log loader arms when packing the mill for travel.
Gerald

snowshoveler

Kbeitz
I love that scale and the adjustable pointers.
What a great idea.
That will work nice on my circle saw.
Thanks.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

rooster 58

I got my slr when I purchased my mill. I have never used it, although I threaten to do so once in awhile

Darrel

I have shingle lap sider that I would be willing to sell if it didn't also make shingles. It came with my used LT40.  I've only used mine once.  Prop the cant up on a wedge for one cut then take it out for the next will accomplish the same thing. If you were to use it on a regular basis, I suppose it would be a good investment, but for no more often than I use mine, I'd be happy to use the wedge method if I didn't already have the lap sider.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Darrel

prittgers, that looks like a fine setup and a way better device than the lap sider.  If I ever get substantial orders for siding I will definitely sell what I have and by the bevel/sider.
1992 LT40HD

terrifictimbersllc

Anyone have the weight and length of the Woodmizer SLR?  Any comment on one person being able to handle it, up on the truck rack and off into the shed for example?  Without a fork lift?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Arkyrick

HI Ya'll I cut some lap siding on my mill the other day to cover a wood shed with out a lap siding attachment. All I did was cut one side of the log flat and put that side down and put a piston jack under the log, jack it up on one side a bit then inserted two 1" spacers between the log and saw frame, then let the jack down until the log rested on the spacers. I cut a piece of lap siding then pumped the jack up pulled the 2 spacers let the log down and cut a second piece of siding and repeated the process again. Its a little primitive but worked. Attached are the results like I said primitive but it worked.
Well I cant seem to load the pics on here is there a specific way to upload them on this site?
LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

Darrel

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on December 04, 2015, 05:03:28 PM
Anyone have the weight and length of the Woodmizer SLR?  Any comment on one person being able to handle it, up on the truck rack and off into the shed for example?  Without a fork lift?

Can't give you an exact weight but I can load it into my pickup put it on my mill by myself, lifting one end at a time.  I'd guess that it weighs about 200 lbs. 
1992 LT40HD

Chuck White

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on December 04, 2015, 05:03:28 PM

Just went out and measured, it's 11'9" long.

Not exactly sure what it weighs, I have picked it up and moved it around a little, I would guess somewhere around 180 pounds.  I just wouldn't want to have to move it very far!

One person should be able to put one end up on the rack and slide it forward, just be systematic and careful.

starmac

If you are talking overhead rack, maybe when I was in my 20's. lol
No way I could do it, it would have been a chore back then.
I have not yet used mine, but just looking at it, it doesn't look like it would be much of a chore add hydraulics to it., In fact I was thinking about ways to do it on my way home with it. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Arkyrick

Hope I got posting these photos right please excuse me if I catch the forum on fire :D
LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

Magicman

No fire because I see them in your gallery and in the post.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

prittgers

I noticed that removing the blade on a Wood-Mizer allows you to transport the BevelSider (www.bevelsider.com) on the mill with the head resting on the parking pin.  This as a design requirement when it was designed.  Both the Wood-Mizer SLR and the Bevelsider weigh about the same.   

Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

Thank You Sponsors!