iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fuel

Started by loggerman1959, November 30, 2015, 08:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggerman1959

What,s everyone in the north run for fuel this winter , how much kero , or what additives do you like ?

1270d

30% #1 when it gets cold.      Anyone use lubricity additives?

BargeMonkey

Had fuel almost cut 50/50 this last yr when it was so cold. I use the 911 fuel treatment, the stuff in the white bottle when it gets cold, use the red bottle when I really have to.

jwilly3879

At the wife's store we are now selling fuel with cut with 30% kero, as it gets colder we will go to 40% and if subzero is predicted we will up it to 50%.

I run Power Service white all winter. Red bottle (911) is only to degell fuel, not for every day use.

barbender

My boss just has us run straight #1. He figures any money saved running a blend dissappears very quickly with a gelled up machine, and I can't argue with that. My own equipment, I like a 50/50 blend with some white bottle power service.
Too many irons in the fire

HiTech

I run straight diesel year round. It comes treated from the dealer, Power Service already in it.  The best diesel I ever ran came from Canada. They do a little extra to it during the processing I believe. The dealer that used to go get it found the hassle of border crossing was too much. I have a neighbor who is a farmer and runs John Deere and if he isn't 70% kerosene his tractors won't start. I had one truck gel up once and they told me I would have to change filters and heat the fuel tank up and all sorts of rubbish. I poured a bottle of Power Service in the tank and waited about 10 to 15 minutes and hit the starter and it started after about 10 seconds of grinding and ran a little rough for a few minutes then leveled out. Diesel fuel is nothing more than Dinosaur Pith and I found proper storage and filtering before use improves its reliability. My storage tanks are tilted and there is a drain on the lower end to get rid of any water that accumulates. I also change filters on the diesel pumps religiously. Another thing when it gets below zero I don't work. Too hard on me and the equipment. lol The ones who have to pay crews and huge machinery payments I can see your point of maybe cutting fuel some. I just saw a crew practically clear cut about 200 acres in about 3 weeks or a whisker more. They put up some wood. Huge equipment. These guys have to have equipment that runs now. They can't mess with it. I can see them cutting fuel. Another thing it was John Deere and they are finicky from what I have seen of them. Perhaps their tolerances are set closer than other machines. I have been waiting to see the BEAST run, 948 L I believe they are, so far no one around here has one that I know of. lol

OH logger

I run diesel that is "winterized" from the jobber I get it from. I also use Howes when it gets below 15 degrees or so. we are only in ohio here not antartica thankfully ;D. I also change the fuel filters in the equipment every fall and change all the tank filters every fall and I have good luck all the time.....so far :D
john

chevytaHOE5674

Run 30% #1 and haven't had any gelling issues down to -30°. Any colder than that and I stay home. ha

Gearbox

Barbender and I live just 15 miles apart and if we didn't work at below zero . it would have gotten real hungry . We have had 30 some days where it never got above zero . Streight # 1 with addtive Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

snowstorm

i use whatever irving oil says we should have. they know more about it than all of us put together

ehp

straight out of the pump at the gas station , have no idea what ratio it is but have no trouble either , I put abit of kleen-flo in just incase of water

loggerman1959

You run straight kero ?

Gearbox

We have a #1 fuel here it would be between Kerosene and  #2 . Some of our jobbers blend with kerosene . #1 needs an additive for lube for injectors . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

beenthere

Quote from: snowstorm on December 01, 2015, 08:29:06 PM
i use whatever irving oil says we should have. they know more about it than all of us put together
Who is irving oil ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ehp

logger if you were asking me , I just use normal on road fuel I buy at the gas station

ehp

Irving is a  oil company on the east coast, I donot think there is any around here thou

BargeMonkey

Quote from: beenthere on December 01, 2015, 10:13:47 PM
Who is irving oil ?
Large oil refining company out of eastern Canada, they bring alot of refined product into Boston, most of the fuel you guys get in NH-ME is all from Canada. Diff zone and diff blend NY/CT due to emissions. The company I work for now does nothing but bring gas / fuel to Albany / Hudson Valley.

Quebecnewf

In our area we have Diesel 40 . This is sold from one bulk tank in the village. Diesel 40 means it's good to run at -40C . For those on ( the other temp system) -40c is the same temp as -40 F.

We had some diesel 20 in town a few years ago . Came in from NFLD and was a lot cheaper. The trouble started when winter came and the guys who had filled their furnace tanks with it discovered they had jelly. They had to add some 40  then stir. Of course this is taking place during the coldest days of the winter and your furnace is not running. Haven,t seen any of that since..

Quebecnewf

snowstorm

Quote from: beenthere on December 01, 2015, 10:13:47 PM
Who is irving oil ?
goggle irving. oil   lumber   paper  shipbuilding and the list goes on

brendonv

Straight from the pump here. I add .5 oz of ashless two stroke per gallon and .25 oz motorcraft anti gel per gallon for the pre emmision stuff. Straight from the pump and the anti gel for the emmision equipped.  I use the motorcraft anti gel because of fears of using anything else on a truck with warranty.  I wont explain why I use the two stroke but searching the web for super tech tcw-3 will get you enough info.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

timberlinetree

We use the stuff in the white bottle and don't use it that much. Last year for the first time the fuel filter light was coming on when we hit high rpms. Long time ago we just left the yard and passed 3 of our trucks broken down. We thought it was funny as we passed them doing funny hand jesters, then ours started acting up and died. 1 mile stretch and 4 trucks froze up. Boss man was not happy.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!