iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie checks in with stats

Started by Brad_S., October 06, 2004, 04:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_S.

After looking in on you guys from friends computers every few months or so for years, I finally got on line thanks to the local phone companys DSL offer. I notice everyone is interested in "what cha got?" and "what's your status?". Here they are.

Left the corporate world 10 years ago to become a full time sawyer.

Timber Harvester 36HTD25, 1 1/2 Blades, debarker, 30hp diesel. Use Simonds blades because I get 12-15 sharpenings per but use munkeys when I want to show off. Only get 5-7 sharpenings from them. Sharpen my own on a Cook's Cat Claw sharpener.

Bobcat 863 - Strong, nimble, versatile. Bucket, forks, grapple.

Koetter KD 550 and Nyle L200 Kilns.

Majaco grapple loader and trailer. Lets me pick up small quantities from landings and freebies/cheapies from arborists.

52" Alaskan mill for those monster logs.

Too many other toys to list.

Bread and butter is custom sawing. Past threads want to know rates, so here are mine. $45 per hour on site, $1 mile travel to site, $180 Minimum, $15 nail hits, $30 replacement. $.20 per bdft if brought to me. Also market KD lumber to local wooodworkers. Have friend at same site who has a WM vacum kiln and 7 head moulder, SE rip saw, etc, so we tag team alot. 2 other guys on site are cabinet makers. A third buys large quantities of lumber and resells through our retail outlet. Trying to be a one stop A-Z wood related complex.

Look forward to playing in the sandbox here with you guys (and gals!). Feel like I know most of you already.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Tom

Well, I'm certainly glad you got your own keyboard. 8)  Have you posted under another Userid in the past or is this the first one?   Seems strange to say welcome but it doesn't hurt :D  so, WELCOME!!   :D :D

I'm anxious to hear about the Timber Harvester and some of your jobs as you go along too.   Sure glad to have you, we've been saving a seat. :D :D

Fla._Deadheader

Nothing like coming on board with a full blown operation ;D ;D

Welcome to the Forum. Being as how ya been peekin for a spell, you already know we likes pitchers, LOTS a pitchers :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

EZ

Welcome to the forum Brad.
I agree with FD with the picture thing.
EZ

MemphisLogger

Welcome! Welcome! Brad.

Sounds like you're somewhere along where I'd like to be headin'  ;D
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Brad_S.

Thanks for the welcome, Tom. I have not posted before, I am a true virgin. (Forum wise, anyhow.)

Sorry, but I have all I can do to figure out the basics of this computer/internet stuff at this point. I can get from the search engine to a site, but pictures, uploading, and all these icons and anograms are still beyond me! And all these messeges popping up about spyware and bad cookies being detected is scaring me. I bought a cheapo computer to dedicate to the internet so nothing gets destroyed on my "good" computer!

Fred

Hey another Timber Harvester welcome to the FF
    Fred
Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

sigidi

G'day Brad,

geese mate, thats an impressive aresenal ya have - I'm too embaressed to list my stats. ;)

But ya know with all these stats we expect a pic for each one!!! ;D

Welcome and hope ya have a fun ride.
Always willing to help - Allan

Brian_Bailey

Welcome Brad !  

By gol, another New Yorker on board  8).

Victor's just over the hill from me ... well, maybe a couple of hills  :D :D.

Sounds like ya have a real nice setup there, looking forward to seeing some pictures and hearing about your operation.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

ronwood

Brad,

Welcome to the forum. Hope you will enjoy your time here.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

MULE_MAN

Brad

Welcome to the Forum, sounds like you have all the right toys for the job  8) 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Brad_S.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.  I feel all fuzzy inside. Like to stay and chat, but I have some logs awaitin.

MrMoo

Brad,
Welcome aboard. You'll have to figure out the picture thing.

Sounds like you have a pretty complete kit.

Mike

RacinRex

Hey another New Yorker!!!!  8)

Impressive setup, I must say. I'd be happy to help you through getting pictures up here for us all to enjoy. MSN messenger or PM here on the sight is probably the best method. Heck I can email a step by step if you like.

Glad to see another NYer  and happy sawin'
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

sjh

Brad
If you do not mind.Where in Victor Is your location? I used to live on main St. I would love to see your operation.
Scott

Brad_S.

Scott,
I'm actually in East Bloomfield, but since it's a Victor mailing address, that's what I use. I bought part of the old Bennett Fur Farm on Bennett Road (1939), just off of Strong Road. Your always welcome, although it's not really much to look at and I keep some of my toys at my home in Penfield. I

Brad_S.

Alright, I figured this picture posting stuff out. :) Here are some of my toys in a not so flattering setting.

The barn in the background is plenty big enough to mill in, but I have it so stuffed with lumber right now I can't get in. That white box in front is the Koetter kiln, which I don't use to much anymore.

The Majaco loader. The tongue used to be articulated to corner better in the woods. It broke while I was driving down the highway with a load. That was exciting! :o

Fred

Good lookin  machinery Brad  !  Just bring that little kiln to my place and I will use it for ya.
             Fred
Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

WV_hillbilly

Welcome Brad

That is quite a collection of toys you have there .  8)    

MtnJack has one of those TimberHarvesters like yours too .
Hillbilly

rvrdivr

Wecome Brad :)

Hows that Majaco loader work for ya?

Brad_S.

rvrdivr,
That's tough answer.
As a woods forwarding machine, I bet it would be great. Impressively strong lifting capacity, heavy built trailer, narrow footprint but small bunk capacity. Good value for the buck.
As a road trailer for picking up wood from remote locations, it leaves a lot to be desired. Rather than critiquing it here, IM me if you want details. Suffice to say there are other trailers out there better suited to the job.
BTW, I'm supposed to be a dealer rep for them. 'Nuff said.

oakiemac

Neat loader! I keep thinking about getting a flatbed truck with a knucleboom loader. It would have to be a heavily used one in order for me to afford it.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

customsawyer

Welcome Brad_S.
Really like that loader was wondering what powers it and what are its lift limits I have a 10 ton goose neck trailer that I think one of those loaders would work great on if it wouldn't be up to high for the down riggers.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Brad_S.

Customsawyer,
I have a model M-140 which has a 14' reach and picks about a ton next to the trailer. I have wrestled heavier on the trailer with some creativity, but you need the ability to remove the bunks to swing the ends of the log up. The loader alone goes for about $10K. It's powered by a 13hp Honda running a hyro pump. That runs another $2.5K. You can get all the specs at the Majaco website.

Thank You Sponsors!